2009 TSX on Trial: Sell or Keep?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 TSX on Trial: Sell or Keep?

I know that we've had our gripe lists about the 2nd Gen TSX and this one has a twist. I'm asking you to check in on whether we should sell or keep our 2009 TSX Tech Auto 2.5 with 75K miles.

First, the car. It's actually my wife's daily driver - she's a hospice social worker so she's on the road constantly. Hence 75K miles less than 5 years. So it's not tricked out or anything. We use it on long trips, and we also use it for tailgating (yes, it actually holds enough stuff for a reasonable tailgate party, including BBQ, seating for 12, ice chests, etc).

Previously, my wife had driven 3 generations of Corollas over a period of 25 years, and it was my intervention that had pushed her into the TSX.

Our other cars include a 94 SC 400 and 2000 Tacoma plus a 71 Mercedes 220 and an 06 Saturn Ion inherited from my father-in-law. I do all my own repairs.

The Acura was supposed to be the solid, no-brainer, reliable with a little bit of fun car.

Instead, and I don't want to start an argument, but I think many of you might agree that it is probably the worst Acura ever made, with so many recalls, defects and "issues" that one wonders what they had in mind when they designed the Accord Euro. In fact, none of our other cars have had any service issues during our TSX ownership while the TSX has had:

- Rear brake recall lawsuit
- Plastic finish wear recall
- Plastic insert recall
- Blown door speakers (now due for 2nd round of replacement)
- Front wheel / transmission noise solved by new front wheel bearings
- Battery death after 2 years (replaced under warranty)
- Cup holder not opening service bulletin
- Flimsy Engine bottom protector got snagged and torn off
- and I'm sure I've forgotten some stuff...

So here are my Arguments for the Defense (Pros) and the Prosecution (Cons) for keeping or selling the TSX. Please add your own and your own verdict.

Pros:

- My wife has grown attached to the car after an early bout of Corolla withdrawal syndrome
- Does have Acura/Honda feel and driveability (intangible)
- Sound system when it works with USB
- Interior design - clean and sensible - I like the white-light instrumentation
- Lifetime Sirius XM subscription (bought it when they offered it during a cash crunch at XM - then they [illegally] tried to take it away from us!)
- Holds its value

Cons:

- Poor fuel economy for a 4-banger (my wife averages about 26mpg)
- Bluetooth half works for iPhones (a problem for my wife who gets calls all the time on the road)
- Too many recalls - build & design quality issues
- I am dreading what might break next now that it is out of warranty
- Concern that drive train may not last the typical 200K+ miles because of "issues" with the TSX design
- Now "old" 5-speed Automatic
- Auto electronics and safety systems are minimal compared to 2013/2014 models (only has Traction Control and ABS)
- Holds its value (so maybe the right time to sell)
- Compared to new models - e.g. Mercedes CLA - specs are terribly dated

Verdict:

Me: sell
Wife: keep

What's your pros, cons & verdict?

Cheers, Joe
Old 09-19-2013, 05:13 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
since it is your wife's car, she should be the one to decide. Maybe you should take her to look at other car's and get her to chance her mind. Personally I have no problems with the 1st gen. tsx I own. Good luck
Old 09-19-2013, 06:31 AM
I Spit On You.

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Why not just leave it to your wife? Let it be.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I've got 89K on my 09. It's had a few issues similar to what you described with yours, but this car is worlds better than the two Chevy Impalas I had before this. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. When the previous car really sucks, it makes the little things that were wrong with this car seem a lot less significant. There is no "perfect car" that is completely reliable, but so far my 09 is damn OK in my book. Whether or not you keep it is entirely up to you, well, really your wife.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:20 AM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Is "cost" a factor? It usually is in these decisions. I wonder if my '12 will serve me well over many miles (31k so far) as i like driving it and its paid for.

Lots of good new cars under 30k though and plenty of good used ones for even less. If you have the money and its time for a change, then its time for a change.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
you can lease a 2014 honda civic for like $150 a month, there's her commuter

you can't be upset at the TSX (full size sedan) not getting compact car gas mileage.

If she likes it, keep it and get her a beater for work, if not, trade up while it still has value.

I think the worst Acura was the CL
Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 AM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
If i remember the 09 had quite a few problems which were all fixed with the '10. I've had hardly any problems with mine.... I say just keep it.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Was having a convo with some people, I've had a few issues with my 2009 6MT:

- Rear brake squeal (Replaced first week)
- Sunroof seal replaced (Replaced after year one)
- Roof trim came undone (Replaced after year one)
- Pistons replaced due to fuel metering / software issue (77,500km)
- Early battery replacement (85,000km)
- Drive Axles wore at 120,000km (but car was lowered, and not aligned)
- Clutch issue at 135,000km (I'll admit part of it was being aggressive on my part)

With that said, I am now at 135,000km -- the car runs incredibly well. Perfectly smooth, feels like the car is brand new. Runs tremendously well and I personally have confidence in the car that I can get at least another 150,000km and use this as my daily driver work car.

I'd keep it. Maintenance is still cheaper than payments on a new car -- and definitely cheaper than stepping into an Audi A4 or like vehicle.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
I've had mine since Dec 08. 52k miles

I get the recalls. However, I am of the mind set that I would rather a company correct something, than let it just be a problem. I do not see recalls as a negative thing. Unless that thing is the car literally falling apart whilst driving.

I am obviously biased, as most people are towards things they own, but mine is almost paid off. Going to let it ride, turbo charge it, and just enjoy having a car that is both fun and paid off.

Did I mention paid off?

Plus there is a phrase: "no one is happy until mom is happy". If your wife says keep, just keep it.

My wife still loves her 07 element SC, do you see me hard up to replace it? It's been paid off for like 3.5 years. The answer is no.

Last edited by optimusaccord; 09-19-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:34 AM
Intermediate

As I said, it was a struggle getting her out of Corollas into an Acura, and I think it would be less of a struggle to move into something clearly better. She would still be in a Corolla had I not intervened - and this is also our road trip car so I do a fair amount of driving in it.

The car is paid off and because they hold their value so well, its a good piece of change to put on its replacement.

One of the reasons we went to the TSX in the first place was its safety rating - my quote at the time was "I don't want to die in a Corolla" as the sturdiness of the Corolla was going down the drain. She appreciated the reassuring sounds that the TSX made when the doors closed.

So now I look around and so many other cars have better safety features and it seems like Acura isn't really being very aggressive in this regard, although that may change with whatever is replacing the TSX, and maybe that's her next car.

My final concern is whether it is really going to hold up - my Lexus and Toyota both have 150,000 miles and basically zero problems. I'm just not getting that vibe from the TSX, but I know that it is supposed to have that legendary Honda quality and durability. But will it?

Have considered looking at a Leaf or a Volt as her daily driver - one plus is that we have solar panels at our house, and both would fit her commute profile.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:22 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by hmbtsx
As I said, it was a struggle getting her out of Corollas into an Acura, and I think it would be less of a struggle to move into something clearly better. She would still be in a Corolla had I not intervened - and this is also our road trip car so I do a fair amount of driving in it.

The car is paid off and because they hold their value so well, its a good piece of change to put on its replacement.

One of the reasons we went to the TSX in the first place was its safety rating - my quote at the time was "I don't want to die in a Corolla" as the sturdiness of the Corolla was going down the drain. She appreciated the reassuring sounds that the TSX made when the doors closed.

So now I look around and so many other cars have better safety features and it seems like Acura isn't really being very aggressive in this regard, although that may change with whatever is replacing the TSX, and maybe that's her next car.

My final concern is whether it is really going to hold up - my Lexus and Toyota both have 150,000 miles and basically zero problems. I'm just not getting that vibe from the TSX, but I know that it is supposed to have that legendary Honda quality and durability. But will it?

Have considered looking at a Leaf or a Volt as her daily driver - one plus is that we have solar panels at our house, and both would fit her commute profile.
my tsx has 161,000 problem free miles. I think a volt is not a wise choice with the problems I hear it has.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 AM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by optimusaccord

Plus there is a phrase: "no one is happy until mom is happy".
Another is: "We're Not Happy, Until You're Not Happy"
Love that one.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Sell it.
The following users liked this post:
speedracer_2020 (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
No wait, keep it!
The following users liked this post:
speedracer_2020 (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by BattleofXs
you can't be upset at the TSX (full size sedan) not getting compact car gas mileage. \
According to the EPA, the TSX is a compact. I think it also states the same on the window sticker.

I'd like your wife pick her car.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
The negativity tells me you have already decided.

I'd just do what you have already decided to do. Coming in asking for opinions so you can justify something to yourself is an odd choice.

My response to this thread:
www.youtube.com/embed/nbZEkFLXh9Y
The following 2 users liked this post by optimusaccord:
Mercedes>BMW (09-20-2013), nj2pa2nc (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
Im holding composure on this one cause it sounds like your complaining about an automobile that isn't perfect let me first say when you find said perfect car please come tell me because I would love that car. complaining about 26 MPG avg is retarded you dont have a prius its a TSX with one of the more PEPPY 4cyl engines out there. Shit im only averaging 21 if im lucky on my drive to work. Recalls will happen with any car and guess what acura will fix them. Another secret ill tell you acura batteries suck that battery that was replaced will die too buy one from the auto parts store you will have better luck. I for one love my 09 TSX I have had my moments of doubt but in the end it has given me no real problem except the brakes when i bought it. My mom has had her 2010 since new and it hasn't had any major problems. I say you sell it cause obviusly you dont appreciate the car for as nice as it is and deserve a crappy civic better yet get yourself an ILX so you feel fancier than a civic driver.

So ill say this for many of the 2nd gen guys Ill keep my WORST ACURA EVER made and enjoy it for years to come BYE.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by odus
Im holding composure on this one cause it sounds like your complaining about an automobile that isn't perfect let me first say when you find said perfect car please come tell me because I would love that car. complaining about 26 MPG avg is retarded you dont have a prius its a TSX with one of the more PEPPY 4cyl engines out there. Shit im only averaging 21 if im lucky on my drive to work. Recalls will happen with any car and guess what acura will fix them. Another secret ill tell you acura batteries suck that battery that was replaced will die too buy one from the auto parts store you will have better luck. I for one love my 09 TSX I have had my moments of doubt but in the end it has given me no real problem except the brakes when i bought it. My mom has had her 2010 since new and it hasn't had any major problems. I say you sell it cause obviusly you dont appreciate the car for as nice as it is and deserve a crappy civic better yet get yourself an ILX so you feel fancier than a civic driver.

So ill say this for many of the 2nd gen guys Ill keep my WORST ACURA EVER made and enjoy it for years to come BYE.
Heyyy.... the ILX is a pretty car (for a girl car...) I'll say that!
Old 09-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Yea i could see girls driving them im sure there is going to be some pretty fast ilx's in the future but brand new still over priced civic. So cheap inside it hurts
Old 09-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by musty hustla
According to the EPA, the TSX is a compact. I think it also states the same on the window sticker.

I'd like your wife pick her car.
My RSX is a compact.

our 2013 TSX is nearly the size of the 2g TL

hardly a compact IMO
Old 09-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Sell it and buy 2013-14 TSX All the bugs are worked out! Good Luck
Old 09-20-2013, 04:46 PM
I Spit On You.

This guy is full of shit. He's not going to listen, his mind is already made up. Corolla is obviously a piece of shit, the Tsx is underrated and most of the people in this thread made good points especially about recalls.

Tried to post this a few hours ago but phone wasn't posting it.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:47 PM
I Spit On You.

Forgot to add; Oh you know what's funny right? He was probably hoping we'd say to sell it so he could show his wife and justify selling his wife's TSX... wrong.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by odus
Yea i could see girls driving them im sure there is going to be some pretty fast ilx's in the future but brand new still over priced civic. So cheap inside it hurts
Funny but that's what I thought too when got a '13 ILX as a loaner. cheap looking. not even deserving the acura badge. but having said that, the TSX isn't really that luxurious compared to it's competition... nonetheless it's better than the ILX.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by BattleofXs
My RSX is a compact.

our 2013 TSX is nearly the size of the 2g TL

hardly a compact IMO
I agree with you regarding the exterior but the EPA's designation is based on the interior volume.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/31674.shtml
Old 09-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
According to IIHS the TSX is a Mid size... too big for a compact IMO
maybe the ILX might fall into a compact rating
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...tsx-sedan/2010
Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Racer

I am a short fella, so maybe the TSX just feels extra huge to me lol
Old 09-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Why not look at a new Mazda6? A good one can be had for 25k roughly, it's separated from the Ford platform, is made in Japan, and gets 28/38. Still a peppy 4 banger and similar in size to TSX (with better leg room)? I know it's not an Acura but pretty much every respected car reviewer has ranked it ahead of the Accord? Food for thought but it definitely sounds like you've made up your mind lol. Just don't piss the lady off and not ask her opinion
Old 09-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Burning Brakes

This guy is not going to post again probably because he knows hes wrong. This is like the people that get on and ask what should i get a tsx or an bmw well were going to tell you to get the car we have not going to bash on our car.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cris_crozz
Funny but that's what I thought too when got a '13 ILX as a loaner. cheap looking. not even deserving the acura badge. but having said that, the TSX isn't really that luxurious compared to it's competition... nonetheless it's better than the ILX.
That's exactly what I thought about the ILX. The TSX was just a couple thousand more and felt like a substantially better car so it was a no brainer when I bought mine. As for the TSX's competition I'd somewhat agree, although IMO the TSX is sortof in a unique price range. Good luck finding a Lexus, BMW, or Audi for about 33k list price that's as well equipped as a TSX. The only major things I thought the TSX was missing were
1. Driver assists like blind spot monitoring, lane departure, etc. that personally I'd want to turn off anyways.
2. Advanced media options like Pandora and such that I get anyways on my phone and can easily stream through my speakers.

I didn't drive the Mazda 6 but I drove just most of the TSX's competitors in the price range and the only car that offered the same level of sport and creature comforts was the Optima which made my decision very difficult.

Last edited by tsxguy00; 09-25-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:09 AM
I Spit On You.

Originally Posted by tsxguy00
That's exactly what I thought about the ILX. The TSX was just a couple thousand more and felt like a substantially better car so it was a no brainer when I bought mine. As for the TSX's competition I'd somewhat agree, although IMO the TSX is sortof in a unique price range. Good luck finding a Lexus, BMW, or Audi for about 33k list price that's as well equipped as a TSX. The only major things I thought the TSX was missing were
1. Driver assists like blind spot monitoring, lane departure, etc. that personally I'd want to turn off anyways.
2. Advanced media options like Pandora and such that I get anyways on my phone and can easily stream through my speakers.

I didn't drive the Mazda 6 but I drove just most of the TSX's competitors in the price range and the only car that offered the same level of sport and creature comforts was the Optima which made my decision very difficult.
If I was to choose again then I'd get a fully loaded Mazda 6, nonetheless the TSX is unique and I did get mine for a good deal so no complaining.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Burning Brakes

if i was buying brand new i would probably buy the optima turbo cause its a faster car but i hated the interior feel of the kia my hyundai gensis felt nicer inside than that. but i got my tsx used for 21k and at that price its a bargin.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Lol I wish I had your problems, which at the very worst is\ manageable

I've dealt with a non working navigation (for over a year now, the navi simply just stopped working and dealer wants to charge me $800 to fix), engine pinging, radiator hoses busting thus causing over heating and coolant to flush all over the engine bay, passenger seat creaking, brake issues, both side pillars peeling off, etc...

It does however have over 110K miles...So the only thing I can attest to so far is the engine reliability (except the radiator hoses busting)
Old 10-19-2013, 03:53 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by hmbtsx

Hello friend which car you chose finally? I love to go for long trips and need tough car.. Please share some information to help me out
Old 10-20-2013, 10:38 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CharlieFrank

Have considered looking at a Leaf or a Volt as her daily driver - one plus is that we have solar panel at our house, and both would fit her commute profile.

Hello friend which car you chose finally? I love to go for long trips and need tough car.. Please share some information to help me out
Still waiting for reply