1997 integra to 2010 tsx - a non enthusiast's review

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 01:39 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 integra to 2010 tsx - a non enthusiast's review

i'd been researching on these boards for a few years while planning to replace my trusty, but aging, integra. when the radiator went, i knew it was time for a change. the need for a larger car and desire for some newer toys probably placed me almost perfectly into acura's target demographic. i wanted something a bit more refined with decent handling, economy and safety at a great value.

other cars i considered - 3 series($$$$$), a4($$$$), is250(too small), 3g tl(not solid enough), 1g tsx(torque?interior?), mazda3(too small), jetta(reliability), accord(boat) and a slew of other vehicles.

i actually found the tsx vs. a4 thread amusing on many levels. the tsx isn't the fastest, best handling or most luxurious option but it is a solid combination of compromises for about $30k. if i had money to burn then i might have chosen differently but i believe in living within my means and spending wisely. i am not concerned about tier 1 perception, rwd or a manual.

last month, i picked up a 2010 tsx tech in grigio for near invoice. i had a horrible experience with the dealership but the great price made the ordeal easier to accept. btw, i suspect early truecar.com numbers for the 2010 actually mixed in 2009 pricing. the current figures seem accurate now.

i'll start with the good impressions so far.
1) the engine is very smooth. definitely more torque than the integra. over the years, i got tired of revving to nowhere.
2) the cabin is reasonably quiet. probably not up to lexus standards but good enough. however, rough road still makes itself known.
3) front seats are comfortable and the rear seat is useable. the rear was actually a large factor is discounting several other competitors. fitting a car seat into the old integra was a pain and forced the passenger seat all the way forward.
4) modern, refined interior. there really wasn't anything upscale about the integra. i actually like the crackle dashboard that people complain about. wood would have been out of place and i don't care for the traditional look anyway.
5) the exterior has grown on me. i don't mind the grill and agree with most that it looks best on the tsx. i remember the headlights on the integra were polarizing at the time but people now have fond memories of that generation.
6) love the backup camera.

now for the not so great...
1) the trunk looks to be on the small side but i expected that. it would have been hard to match the utility of the old hatch.
2) the valet key is a dull gray. it's a minor quip but even the integra valet key looked better.
3) i understand what people mean when they say the door handles look cheap. i wish there was a metal replacement.
4) i only sat in the back briefly but i thought the bass did sound slightly muddy. not a big deal.
5) there's no dvd-a sampler disc available with the 2010 model.

other thoughts
1) i haven't noticed any pinging although i'm still breaking the car in.
2) the suspension is firm and i have no issues with it. i don't notice any bouncing.
3) maybe it hasn't tightened up yet but i can't tell if the steering was enhanced. i never had a problem during my test drive of the 2009. driving on the highway is currently a little twitchy but i'm not worried
4) at first, the texture of the steering wheel seemed too smooth. now i just consider it different.
5) the tsx definitely feels wider but i suppose that's the tradeoff for more shoulder room.
6) there are indeed a ton of buttons but they're laid out logically.

thanks to everyone for their feedback and reviews of the tsx. i was on the fence about the 2009 due to the nav screen glare and reported pinging issues. i didn't expect to purchase the first model year after a redesign so i'm very comfortable and satisfied (so far!) with the 2010.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Congrats and welcome.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
2000 Teg --> 09 TSX for me

I enjoyed reading your post, especially since I myself went from a 2000 Integra to the 2009 TSX (no first-year jitters for me--it's a honda).

Sorry to hear about your bad dealership experience. It's a shame since you're supposed to be paying for a better overall ownership experience and the dealership is your primary contact.

I agree the hatch was difficult to part with but I actually find the trunk of my TSX quite roomy. Fold-down seats are a big plus in that department and a main reason I nixed the TL from the decision-making process.

I consider myself an enthusiast and I have to disagree about the comment about the Teg revving to no-where....I have very fond memories of wringing that thing and the lack of umph didn't really bother me too much at all. It's the overall driving dynamics of the Teg that I'll miss most.

But I don't think I could have said it better myself--the 2G TSX is really the best solid combination of compromises out there IMO.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
welcome!
Old 09-12-2009, 06:59 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
welcome this forum helped me a lot and im sure u'll find it useful
Old 09-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Welcome to the forum
Old 09-13-2009, 12:56 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 5thTo2nd
I agree the hatch was difficult to part with but I actually find the trunk of my TSX quite roomy. Fold-down seats are a big plus in that department and a main reason I nixed the TL from the decision-making process.

I consider myself an enthusiast and I have to disagree about the comment about the Teg revving to no-where....I have very fond memories of wringing that thing and the lack of umph didn't really bother me too much at all. It's the overall driving dynamics of the Teg that I'll miss most.
someone correctly noted that the tsx trunk isn't completely flat. the integra, by nature, had a large opening and seemed to be able to swallow anything i tried to transport. lack of folding seats on the tl always seemed to be a glaring omission to me. i suspect part of my disappointment with the tsx may lie in moving from a coupe to a sedan.

typical speeds in nyc are 0-30mph. by the time the integra engine generated any power it was usually time to brake. the driving experience was satisfying and go kart-like but there were many occasions when i wanted to start moving without all the engine drama. aren't most hondas, particularly the integra, by definition lacking in low end torque?
Old 09-13-2009, 01:07 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Congrats!
Old 09-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congratulation on your purchase. You will find a lot of useful info and help here.

Coming from a 90 Civic Si, the TSX was quite a change for me too. The boot however is bigger than you think, I managed to put a 42" LCD TV (out of the box) nicely FLAT in the boot last year.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats...couldnt agree more with your review!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Congrats! Nice to see someone do their homework and make an informed decision.

I agree with you about some of the pro's and con's but overall, both the 2009 and 2010 are great vehicles. I do think you made a very wise decision in waiting for the 2010. Sounds like a lot of drivers that had the TSX on their list of cars to buy in 2009/2010 had considered the same cars that you've mentioned in your post.

I am still satisfied w/ my 2009. Biggest concern is the pinging. Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't. Lately I haven't had it and I love the car even more for that reason.

Keep us posted on the pinging, because some drivers claim that the 2010 still has it.

Enjoy!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! Couple of questions though:

What do you mean when you say the 3g TL isn't solid enough? It's a Honda, reliability is as much of a definition as lack of low end torque haha. It did have some rattling problems, but nothing major.

And the 1g TSX and 2G TSX do use the same engine, IIRC. The 2G TSX has maybe +10ish lb.ft of torque and 4 less horsepower, so about the same.

These are small points, maybe I'm just being nitpicky. Congrats on the new car
Old 09-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fun reading your post... I sold a '99 Teg and bought the '09 TSX... so understand many of your comments...

I actually loved the 'Teg... kinda rough and nimble... but super fun to drive.

Drove both the auto and manual TSX when I was looking... and for me the manual was so much more fun and enjoyable to drive than the auto... so searched high and wide for the manual version and found one.

After 3 months, I continue to love to drive it...there are a few things that get me... like the door handles... when I open the driver's door, occassionaly it has a real "dis-jointed" feel... like its not going to catch to open (and that has happend once, where the door wouldn't open from the outside).

However in the end, it looks great, drives well and I can't wait to drive it each time I get in!

Enjoyed your post and glad to have you on the forum.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:50 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by AMAN1
Congrats on your purchase! Couple of questions though:

What do you mean when you say the 3g TL isn't solid enough? It's a Honda, reliability is as much of a definition as lack of low end torque haha. It did have some rattling problems, but nothing major.

And the 1g TSX and 2G TSX do use the same engine, IIRC. The 2G TSX has maybe +10ish lb.ft of torque and 4 less horsepower, so about the same.

These are small points, maybe I'm just being nitpicky. Congrats on the new car
i was actually quite close to purchasing either the 3g tl or 1g tsx last year but in the end the 2g tsx was a better fit for my needs.

as far as the tl, the doors sounded very flimsy and up close the car didn't have the attention to detail i was looking for. the car looks much better from afar. i also didn't care for the interior as much as the newer tsx. no complaints about the engine, size or reliability.

for some reason, the 1g tsx interior looked dated to me. even though the improvements in the 2g were small, extra torque and interior space were considered a plus since those were two weaknesses of the integra.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:31 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by residue
i was actually quite close to purchasing either the 3g tl or 1g tsx last year but in the end the 2g tsx was a better fit for my needs.

as far as the tl, the doors sounded very flimsy and up close the car didn't have the attention to detail i was looking for. the car looks much better from afar. i also didn't care for the interior as much as the newer tsx. no complaints about the engine, size or reliability.

for some reason, the 1g tsx interior looked dated to me. even though the improvements in the 2g were small, extra torque and interior space were considered a plus since those were two weaknesses of the integra.
I have to agree with everything you said. I've had a 1G TSX and 3G TL's as loaner cars. For some reason the TL didn't feel as solid or "built like one piece" as the 2G TSX. Everything from the doors slamming to the steering. And the 1G TSX was fun to drive but had a totally dated interior.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by residue

Guess it was just an instance of different needs/wants. I feel the opposite as far as the interiors go, 1G TSX and TL interior are more preferable to my tastes.

Congratulations again on your purchase! Don't go only by what people say here, in the end, you're paying the car note and driving it every day.