Wheels and Shock/Spring FAQ for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:46 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Wheels and Shock/Spring FAQ for dummies

Hi All,

I am finally getting around to looking for rims, rubber, and perhaps suspension for My TL. I am not that technical and I am looking for any objective guidance someone can provide on the following topics

Wheels
======
Currently running stock at 16". I read the the sticky and I understand that 19's are as big as they can go. I am probably looking at 18's or 19's

Rubber
======
I will probably get all seasons decent quality since in rains a lot in Vancouver, BC (I think Falken are a good branch). I would like a slightly lower profile tire than stock but have no idea on what the sizes are.

Suspension
========
Once the wheels are installed from what I have read there is a funny looking gap to deal with? Can someone confirm this? If it is not too bad I would rather not lower the car. I did this before on an integra H and R sport and the ride was too hard for me.

I don't really care about performance. It is mostly about the appearance
- To that end I think this is the topic I am most confused about. Here is my understanding so far

1) springs - lower the car with springs such as h and r on factory shocks.
pros:cheap
cons: wear out factory shocks, bad ride

2) Shocks and springs (ie. tein basics, or tein ss)
pros: the right way to do it, comfortable ride, adjustable
cons: cost

3)Coilovers (mm have no clue about this)

Stores:
Anyone from Vancouver BC that can provide recommendations on stores to purchase and get this all done?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Wheels.

if you have rough roads and pot holes you may want to stick with 18s.

Rubber.

By going to a larger wheel you will have to change tire size (meaning it will be a lower profile than stock) to keep the speedo accurate. Either a 225/40 or 45 or a 235/40. All season doenst mean to drive in rain. Its ment for all 4 seasons, including snow. I wouldnt. I would find a good tire for wet and dry traction and use your stock tires for winter.

Suspension

It will look funny not lowering it. Your ride you get by lowering it all depends on what you buy. H&R springs provide a near factory ride. You can get 2 different sets of springs that range from a 3/4 drop (closer to 1 inch or so) to the sport drop which is a 1 and 3/4 drop and is what most prefer. Get a set of H&R springs and new set of shocks like tocico blues and they wont wear out fast.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:31 PM
4th Gear

Lowering Suspension for Newbies FAQ

Hi,

I was looking for more information on the tocico shocks and can't seem to get any search hits. Was this mispelled?

Aren't the tein coilovers (basic) are better choice. Can I get them instead of of after market lowering springs and a pair of tocico shocks?

Pretty confused. I wish there was a faq that covered all the information that one needs to upgrade wheels and suspension rather than having to search forums to put the bits together.

Is there anything that exists like this on your website?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Tokiko will get you results. They are regular shocks- well good upgrades, and will work with many 1 inch drop springs no problem. Also make an adjustable one- blue is reg- yellow is adjust.

TEIN- coil-over means there is a threaded outer shaft to adjust the spring perch height - to adjust car height at will. They are also adjustable for stiffness dampning

All depends on budget, driving style, bling factor,. desire to be cool etc. vs great ride or ??

Think about your brakes too. Very Important

I have gotten a lot of help from acurazine sponsoring vendor Mr Heel Toe
see his post in the Off Topic section Sponsored Sales, lots of Tein info there (click the link) to help educate you

Good luck
Old 02-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Cruisin'

same boat

Hi, OGQ604

Thanks for your post. I too am living in Vancouver as well and winter this year is crazy. I am also thinking aobut getting a little bigger wheel and i apprecaite you asking the right questions.

Can you let me know if you found a place that does the work?

RJ
Old 03-09-2007, 01:42 AM
4th Gear

Suspension Shopping

Hello I finally got around to the information gathering phase

Option # 1
hr sport (1.75 front 1.5rear)
Tokiko shocks (blue). the adjustable are 160 more
install after tax

just under $1000

Option #2
Tein Basic Coilover unde
install

Just under $1300

Can anyone give me their thoughts or comments on this set up or which they would recommend. Again I am looking to retain the factory ride comfort or as close as possible. I hate worrying about scratching my bumper and avoiding speed bumps. The master plan is to install the wheels below but I don't want the ugly gap but I want to do the suspension correctly.

The wheel I plan on getting is
Ggames 18 sidewinder
18 8 7.5 48ps
Old 03-09-2007, 01:54 AM
4th Gear

Car Shops in Richmond/Vancouver

Here are the main shops that I went to so far in case anyone else is interested

garage 5
hours of operation:
10-6 mon-sat

604.278.4339 sales desks
604.278.4605 fax

::REV Competition::..
2130-13700 Mayfield Place
Richmond, B.C.
V6V 2E4
TEL: (604) 273-9738

..::A&J Racing::..
#11-12840 Bathgate Way
Richmond, B.C., V6V 1Z4
Canada

Tel: 604-279-0329
Fax: 604-279-0839

..::Teamwork Autosports::..
6611 Kingsway
Burnaby B.C.
V5E 1E2

Phone Numbers:
TEL: (604) 438-7737
FAX: (604) 438-7768
Old 03-09-2007, 02:00 AM
rebmeM deretsigeR

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
How do tein basics plus install equate to 1300? Tein basics are about 700 or so on eBay, 800 with shipping. Hell i even saw some SuperStreets for 712 with 30 for shipping or something around there. Install should be round 200 or so (at the shop I'm getting my suspension at anyways), for a total around 1000.

If you want to get rid of all the wheel gap, you are gonna be avoiding speed bumps anyways, so go with whatever you want. Most people tell me to get coilovers for track use, and springs/shocks if you aren't gonna track/race it. Info isn't mine, since I want coilovers no matter what. Good luck with whatever you go with.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:51 AM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by randomthought
How do tein basics plus install equate to 1300? Tein basics are about 700 or so on eBay, 800 with shipping. Hell i even saw some SuperStreets for 712 with 30 for shipping or something around there. Install should be round 200 or so (at the shop I'm getting my suspension at anyways), for a total around 1000.

If you want to get rid of all the wheel gap, you are gonna be avoiding speed bumps anyways, so go with whatever you want. Most people tell me to get coilovers for track use, and springs/shocks if you aren't gonna track/race it. Info isn't mine, since I want coilovers no matter what. Good luck with whatever you go with.
If you look at the post right above yours, you will see that he is talking about $1300 Canadian
Old 03-09-2007, 05:51 AM
極品インスパイア32V

I live in Vancouver too...I have a great used H&R sport spring for TL sitting in my garage, if you are interested, you can PM me for that.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:03 AM
Instructor

if u can't get the Tein Basics for $1000 (CAD) installed, u should go elsewhere to find a deal. I've been quoted by a shop for 1k Cad installed for tein basics for my 3G TL...
Old 03-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Shop around. Those prices are high for both your examples. Very high. the first set up should be in the 700 range with install

On the 2nd gen TL install shouldnt be more than 200. Its a VERY simple project and would take any decent shop a hr or less to do
Old 03-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ogq604
Hi All,

I am finally getting around to looking for rims, rubber, and perhaps suspension for My TL. I am not that technical and I am looking for any objective guidance someone can provide on the following topics

Wheels
======
Currently running stock at 16". I read the the sticky and I understand that 19's are as big as they can go. I am probably looking at 18's or 19's

Rubber
======
I will probably get all seasons decent quality since in rains a lot in Vancouver, BC (I think Falken are a good branch). I would like a slightly lower profile tire than stock but have no idea on what the sizes are.

Suspension
========
Once the wheels are installed from what I have read there is a funny looking gap to deal with? Can someone confirm this? If it is not too bad I would rather not lower the car. I did this before on an integra H and R sport and the ride was too hard for me.

I don't really care about performance. It is mostly about the appearance
- To that end I think this is the topic I am most confused about. Here is my understanding so far

1) springs - lower the car with springs such as h and r on factory shocks.
pros:cheap
cons: wear out factory shocks, bad ride

2) Shocks and springs (ie. tein basics, or tein ss)
pros: the right way to do it, comfortable ride, adjustable
cons: cost

3)Coilovers (mm have no clue about this)

Stores:
Anyone from Vancouver BC that can provide recommendations on stores to purchase and get this all done?
If you do a lot of high speed driving, AND have lots of potholes, you will NOT want to go any bigger than 18s. I have broken a couple of RonJon 18s on the PA Turnpike. Tire size was 235 X 40R 18 - standard suspension...