What would give better ride than H&R 50103?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005 | 01:48 AM
Banned

What would give better ride than H&R 50103?

I finished installing H&R 50103 springs on my 02 TL couple of days ago.
The reason I got H&R 50103 springs is because kg/mm DDR springs that i had before were too stiff and pretty harsh for driving in Chicago area and I thought 50103 springs would give much better ride.
However, they were not as comfort as I expected they should be.
They were little less harsh/stiff than kg/mm DDR springs, but about the same.
I can still feel the bumpy road and still too harsh for Chicago land area.
My girlfriend was unhappy to ride on this bumping car, too.
Now, my question is ... what springs would give better ride than H&R 50103 springs? Would only option be stock springs? I like to have a lowered look, but not harsh driving bumping like ricey civics.
How about cutting the stock springs? I know people do not recommend doing so, but would that still be harsh as H&R 50103 springs?
It was pain in the ass to do lowering job twice already and I want to get a comfortable ride.
Please help..
Old 03-15-2005 | 02:08 AM
Got a Job!

are you on the stock shocks?? if you are...that's probably why
Old 03-15-2005 | 02:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dem1K
are you on the stock shocks?? if you are...that's probably why
Nope. I am on tokico blues.
Old 03-15-2005 | 04:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

There's always going to be a trade-off when it comes to modding. Deal with the stiffer ride and enjoy the increased handling -or- go back to stock springs and enjoy the comfortable ride. You can't have your cake and eat it too!
Old 03-15-2005 | 12:07 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by Lawaia
There's always going to be a trade-off when it comes to modding. Deal with the stiffer ride and enjoy the increased handling -or- go back to stock springs and enjoy the comfortable ride. You can't have your cake and eat it too!
well said! you can try coilovers but that would be pretty pricey. Ive got the 50103's w/the Illuminas and im lovin' it!
Old 03-15-2005 | 12:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by akinaboy
Nope. I am on tokico blues.
Get some better shocks. The blues may not be able to handle the drop that H&R sport springs give. Just my opinion...

Sorry, I'm not sure if you have the H&R OE sport or the H&R sport springs. I did a search for my 00' TL and it says to use 51858-55 (oe sport) or 51858 (sport). I'm not too familiar with the application of using different springs from other makes such as the 50103. Which car is that supposed to be for? Honda Accord? Couple of my friends have H&R sport springs on the TL and Accord and they feel pretty good to me. Rides like stock...except lowered.
Old 03-15-2005 | 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dark DJ
well said! you can try coilovers but that would be pretty pricey. Ive got the 50103's w/the Illuminas and im lovin' it!
I wish I lived in CA, too.
Old 03-15-2005 | 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xasnxkiddox
Get some better shocks. The blues may not be able to handle the drop that H&R sport springs give. Just my opinion...

Sorry, I'm not sure if you have the H&R OE sport or the H&R sport springs. I did a search for my 00' TL and it says to use 51858-55 (oe sport) or 51858 (sport). I'm not too familiar with the application of using different springs from other makes such as the 50103. Which car is that supposed to be for? Honda Accord? Couple of my friends have H&R sport springs on the TL and Accord and they feel pretty good to me. Rides like stock...except lowered.
51858-55 and 51858 springs are mainly made for 98-02 accord, but since H&R thought TL has basically same body frame, they used the same springs on our TL's. However, later on, they found sagging in rear problem on tl by using those accord springs, so H&R came up with 50103 springs for our TLs. That 50103 sport springs is a hybrid kit of 51858-55: Rear(oe springs) and 51858: Front(sport springs) since oe springs give higher drop than 51858-55. I hope that answers to your question.
Old 03-15-2005 | 12:33 PM
Instructor

51858-55 and 51858 springs are mainly made for 98-02 accord, but since H&R thought TL has basically same body frame, they used the same springs on our TL's. However, later on, they found sagging in rear problem on tl by using those accord springs, so H&R came up with 50103 springs for our TLs. That 50103 sport springs is a hybrid kit of 51858-55: Rear(oe springs) and 51858: Front(sport springs) since oe springs give higher drop than 51858-55. I hope that answers to your question.
Wow thanks for the heads up. Seems like they should update their information on their website or maybe I didn't catch it. So what are you planning to do? Stick with what you have or upgrade your shocks?
Old 03-15-2005 | 01:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xasnxkiddox
Wow thanks for the heads up. Seems like they should update their information on their website or maybe I didn't catch it. So what are you planning to do? Stick with what you have or upgrade your shocks?
I'm actually thinking of putting stock springs back on, but not too sure on that since I want to keep the look of dropped ride, but ride is harsh.
How come everyone is happy with H&R sprigns and I am not? I hate to live and drive in Chicago..
Old 03-15-2005 | 04:38 PM
Dragging knees in

I thought it was too soft on H&R Sport springs.

Hell, even at 0/0 stiffest setting on my Tein SS, I still think it's a bit too soft for spirited driving.
Old 03-15-2005 | 05:07 PM
Banned

hmm.... It's very weird.. I see everyone's saying H&R springs are soft ride close to stock ride feeling, but how come I feel that they are harsh ride? I used drive an integra, civic, accord and etc... on eibach sportline all the time when I used to live in West Coast and I never felt those springs were stiff at all. May be it is because the roads are super smooth in West Coast.
Could cracked cv boot and cv joint/ball bearing/axle/boot may cause harsh driving as well?
Old 03-15-2005 | 05:10 PM
El Presidente

hmm.... It's very weird.. I see everyone's saying H&R springs are soft ride close to stock ride feeling, but how come I feel that they are harsh ride? I used drive an integra, civic, accord and etc... on eibach sportline all the time when I used to live in West Coast and I never felt those springs were stiff at all. May be it is because the roads are super smooth in West Coast.
Could cracked cv boot and cv joint/ball bearing/axle/boot may cause harsh driving as well?

yeah those might be it! can't complain about most of the roads here
Old 03-15-2005 | 05:31 PM
Banned

yeah those might be it! can't complain about most of the roads here
So, you think cracked cv boot and cv joint/ball bearing/axle/boot may cause the problem?
Old 03-15-2005 | 05:58 PM
El Presidente

So, you think cracked cv boot and cv joint/ball bearing/axle/boot may cause the problem?

well from what i know, u'd really be able to tell, because itd be really noisy or have some clunking sound, so im not sure what exactly it is.
Old 03-15-2005 | 10:51 PM
Banned

well from what i know, u'd really be able to tell, because itd be really noisy or have some clunking sound, so im not sure what exactly it is.
Well, it doesn't make any sound except for going through so many bumps. When it comes to bumps, it makes crazy noise, like something is about to break. this is something that I never felt before lowering the car.
Old 03-15-2005 | 10:52 PM
Banned

How do I know if cv boot and cv joint/ball bearing/axle/boot is cracked or worn out? Can I see it visually?
Old 03-15-2005 | 11:46 PM
Dragging knees in

How do I know if cv boot and cv joint/ball bearing/axle/boot is cracked or worn out? Can I see it visually?

Take off the wheel, and right behind the rotor (please don't do this in the rear, because you won't see anything ), you will see a rubber boot. That's the CV boot. It's filled with grease to keep the shaft lubricated. If the CV boot is ripped, then the grease would come out. Hence, there would be no lubrication. Parts will start seizing and make noises. I don't believe that this would contribute to harsh ride. It does move up and down with the suspension movement, but it wouldn't make the ride really harsh.
Old 03-16-2005 | 12:31 AM
Racer

Tein H tech for sure
Old 03-16-2005 | 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Take off the wheel, and right behind the rotor (please don't do this in the rear, because you won't see anything ), you will see a rubber boot. That's the CV boot. It's filled with grease to keep the shaft lubricated. If the CV boot is ripped, then the grease would come out. Hence, there would be no lubrication. Parts will start seizing and make noises. I don't believe that this would contribute to harsh ride. It does move up and down with the suspension movement, but it wouldn't make the ride really harsh.
Thanks.
If that does not make ride harsh, I guess I'm not checking that out.
Hmm... what could make my ride so harsh? From the scale 1 - 10(10 being the stock ride, H&R would be around 6. Anyone agrees?
Old 03-16-2005 | 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by keepingitclean
Tein H tech for sure
Are you saying that Tein H tech springs would give much better ride than H&R?
Old 03-16-2005 | 02:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I would say some adjustable shocks like tokico illuminas and adjust it to the softest setting. I have mines at 3 all around right now but I might adjust it softer. I miss the stock ride hehe
Old 03-16-2005 | 02:40 PM
Dragging knees in

What's your exact suspension setup, Takumi?

Do you have a camber kit?

Did you install it yourself?

Were all the bolts and nuts tightened properly?

Were the spring rubber isolators put on the new springs? Remember that the H&R springs are progressive rate, and if you don't have the rubber isolators near the top, the coils will hit each other under compression.
Old 03-16-2005 | 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
What's your exact suspension setup, Takumi?

Do you have a camber kit?

Did you install it yourself?

Were all the bolts and nuts tightened properly?

Were the spring rubber isolators put on the new springs? Remember that the H&R springs are progressive rate, and if you don't have the rubber isolators near the top, the coils will hit each other under compression.
I don't have camber kit as I found out the drop it not that low and I don't need camber kit.
Yes, I installed it by myself with 3 year experience of working at a raceshop, and lowering job for me is not hard at all, just hard without right tools.
Yes, all my bolts and nuts are tightened with torgue wrench.
Everything that was on the stock shocks/springs were put on the tokico shocks and H&R springs.
Old 03-17-2005 | 12:23 PM
Ackniculous One

If the ride you have now is harsher, it should be. Just the way it is. The TL-S rides stiff as it is, then with the springs a bit harsher. I would agree that big city streets with uneven joints, potholes and uneven roads would add to it. My car was pretty damn stiff when I first put my H&R's in. Then, after about a month it softened up a little. I'm used to it now, but I love the way it rides....except on really bad roads, but what sport sedan won't ride harsh on bad roads.
Old 03-17-2005 | 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CJITTY
If the ride you have now is harsher, it should be. Just the way it is. The TL-S rides stiff as it is, then with the springs a bit harsher. I would agree that big city streets with uneven joints, potholes and uneven roads would add to it. My car was pretty damn stiff when I first put my H&R's in. Then, after about a month it softened up a little. I'm used to it now, but I love the way it rides....except on really bad roads, but what sport sedan won't ride harsh on bad roads.
I'm thinking to put my factory springs back on, but not sure yet.
Should I ride like this for a month or so till it softens ride a little better?
Old 03-18-2005 | 01:30 PM
Ackniculous One

Yes, keep them on for at least a month and drive them a little hard on corners to loosen them up. Mine seems a bit smoother now, but still rides a touch harsher than stock. If you still don't like them, you may have to go Eibach Pro Kit or keep em stock with maybe adjustable struts.

Those who have H&R sports and say it rides stock are on probably the best roads in the country like CA and FL, I put money on that. If someone from Detroit said that H&R's rode like stock, I'd have to beaatch slap 'em. Detroit roads are best for testing shocks and struts..geez those roads are shetty.
Old 03-18-2005 | 01:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Yes, keep them on for at least a month and drive them a little hard on corners to loosen them up. Mine seems a bit smoother now, but still rides a touch harsher than stock. If you still don't like them, you may have to go Eibach Pro Kit or keep em stock with maybe adjustable struts.

Those who have H&R sports and say it rides stock are on probably the best roads in the country like CA and FL, I put money on that. If someone from Detroit said that H&R's rode like stock, I'd have to beaatch slap 'em. Detroit roads are best for testing shocks and struts..geez those roads are shetty.
Thanks. I will try a month and see if it gets any better.
Do you think Eibach prokit gives better ride than H&R sport?
Old 03-18-2005 | 05:25 PM
Dragging knees in

My home is in the suburbs of Detroit, and I go to school in East Lansing. Some of the worst roads in the country.

The H&R Sport springs rode 80% like the stock ride. That's why I upgraded, because it was too soft for me.