What to do with a spare set of TL wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 10:37 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do with a spare set of TL wheels?

Hi guys:

I have a quick question... My wife's 2000 TL had a problem a while back with getting the tires to balance. After a lot of trial and error, it was determined three of the original wheels were slightly out of round (I guess from running through pot holes and the such).

We've since replaced them with Rial's (I think that's the name of them). Anyway, I need to know if there's anything I can or should do with the originals. Right now they're just sitting in boxes in our garage taking up space and it's time to do a little spring cleaning.

Is there any market for slightly out of round original TL wheels (only one is still straight according to the shop)? Or should I just take them to the local recycle center and toss them in the bin? Any insight you can give will be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'm ready to reclaim some room in the garage.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:53 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I would take them (or at least one of them) to a wheel refinisher (there are a number of places that do this that have websites online - just do a Google search, or even look in the yellow pages)- if you are able to take one of the wheels to the refinisher and they can be fixed economically/safely, then they might do well as a set of winter wheels (depending on where you live). This way, they could be put back 'in round', but you wouldn't have to pay maximum dollars for finishing the face of them. When you indicate 'out of round', is it just the edge of the wheel that is dented/ bent? This type of damage is usually pretty easy for a wheel refinisher to fix. If they are not to be fixed, then you might have a pretty hard time selling them, as someone else will have to have the above work done.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:04 AM
7th Gear

When the guy at the shop had them spinning, you could see the wheel wobble (a very slight side to side action) as it spun. It's not a dent on the lip or anything... more of a lateral warp if that makes sense.

Yeah, we considered having the wheels refinished like you suggested, but after a call to a local shop that does it (and having the local mechanic explain to them what we had), we discovered it'd be a bit cheaper to just buy new wheels... hence that's why there's new Rial's on there now.

And we're in NC... no real need for a spare set of snow tires around here. If things start getting messy, I have a 4x4 truck.

I'm going to give this a couple of more days to see if any other ideas surface, but after that, they're going to the dump. I'm tired of the clutter.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:10 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I understand...it might be too much time, cost, and hassle to get them fixed. I honestly don't think there would be much of a market for them in their current condition.
Welcome to Acurazine, by the way!
Old 01-25-2007, 11:19 AM
7th Gear

Maybe someone with a little creativity and metal working talent could take a cutting torch to them and make a coffee table or something.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
The turn it into art was my first thought as well

The second thought is simply place a free ad on Craigslist, put them outside on the curb and they will go to a good home or recycler for sure!

You can also put a free ad in the Black Market Section of this forum
Old 01-26-2007, 04:24 AM
III
prototype

if all 4 tires hold air still, you might be able to sell em to someone for cheap for daily wheels... or if you know anyone who's down for burnout contests, sell it to them for cheap
Old 01-26-2007, 02:09 PM
7th Gear

I think by the end of this afternoon, they might be swimming in the bottom of a dumpster. Oh well. Thanks for the ideas though.

The stupid part is that our recycle center won't recycle aluminum unless it's either a can or some sort of thin aluminum foil. These wheels will probably end up taking up space at the bottom of a land fill. I wonder how many beer cans a set of TL wheels would make???
Old 01-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Ever think about eBay or craigslist? Somebody might take them for $100 for all four (ie lease return)
Old 01-26-2007, 10:03 PM
7th Gear

OK, here's the deal. I didn't get a chance to go by the recycle center today. If someone wants to come get all 4 wheels (minus the tires), they're yours for the taking. I live in the Chapel Hill, NC area and will be glad to meet you and GIVE them to you. However, I WILL NOT drive very far to do so! I'd rather see them put to some sort of use rather than toss them in the trash. As a reminder, it's the 7 spoke wheel that came stock on the 2000 TL's.

Remember, three of them are slightly warped (and can probably be straightened if you really wanted to) and the 4th is perfectly fine (at least according to my local shop). I don't know if the TL trunks will accommodate a full sized spare, but the one that's straight would be good for that purpose. Again... they are FREE. Come and get them.

And no, I don't know which one is the straight one. I didn't bother marking them when they came off of the balancer. So I can't really say which one is the straight one. I could guess, but I'd only have a 25% chance of getting it right.

If I have no takers by Sunday morning, they will 100% for sure find a new home in the local dumpster.

Btw, the first person to respond in THIS thread (and doesn't want me to drive 100 miles to deliver them) gets them. REMEMBER... Chapel Hill, NC area.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
I deleted your thread in the Black Market Forum referring people to this thread. Very enterprising, but definitely not allowed.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:20 PM
7th Gear

I'm giving them away... what's the problem?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:52 PM
7th Gear

Ron A... it's been 30+ minutes since I asked my last question and you've yet to answer.

Would it have been to your liking if I would have cut and pasted the TEXT of what I had just typed (in this thread) instead of pasting the link and putting FF in front of it?

Hell, you try to do something nice and GIVE somebody something that they might be able to really use and in turn you get the run around from some moderator because you linked to a thread that describes what you're trying to GIVE AWAY. You really shouldn't try to hassle someone who's giving stuff away for FREE. Did I mention it was FREE???

Forget it... they're going in the trash.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
nomad
Dont be mad

There must be dozens of rules about where things can be posted and links are probably not allowed- possibly there are instructions for posting in the Black Market and you just missed it

hey - you tried and thats what counts. Karma loves you

Dont blame the moderator for being the messenger, wanna bet they are on here helping for free, just like we are here looking up stuff for free
Old 01-27-2007, 06:41 AM
III
prototype

seriously man put em up for sale for cheap as fk.... they fit more than just tl's.... some auto-x person somewhere might want em or something

if you were local to me i'd have gotten em already, for no reason at all