Strut bar and sway bar.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Strut bar and sway bar.

I have a 2001 TL and wanted to know how much differ will a strut and sway bar make in handling. Also what are some good cost efficient bars. THank you.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:21 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i will say i am honestly not sure if the comptech bars for the tls will fit your car, but they will make a *huge* difference in handling. my friend had a 2002 type s when they came out in 01. he had it lowered (about 4 inches off the ground) and changed out the sway bars. this thing handled phenomenally. i could not belive how easily it cornered without picking up. now i don't recommend the extreme lowering, only because he always bottomed out over speed bumps, but the sway bars are worth it. i'm thinking about it myself. i don't really know who makes bars aside from comptech. sorry. i bet a google search will turn something up though.

SSTS
Old 08-13-2004, 10:13 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway bars are great. After tires they are the best handling mod.

Strut bar may actually make your handling worse because it stiffens up the front end on an already nose heavy FWD car.

The sway bars are designed so that the rear is thicker which reduces understeer.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
well i am not gonna lower it, I just want the car to handle better. I put type S wheels on it and that made a lil difference cause of the tires. But what tires, sway bar, and strut bar is recommed by yall. I am completely clueless about suspension. If any of you guys need help with audio let me know.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Comptech sways would be my recommendation. Pay a little more but you get quality parts.

Like Hemants said, strut bar induces more understeer, making handling a little worse. I have a Cusco type-OS front upper strut bar. Makes the rigidity up front marginally better. Some people say the Comptech titanium strut bar is great ... don't know if I'd shell out that kinda $$$.

Type-S rims? You might want to consider Toyo T1-S or Yokohama Avid AVS-ES100. Since I live where it snows, I would buy all-seasons but you don't have to worry about that.

My $0.02 ...
Old 02-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by derrick
Comptech sways would be my recommendation. Pay a little more but you get quality parts.

Like Hemants said, strut bar induces more understeer, making handling a little worse. I have a Cusco type-OS front upper strut bar. Makes the rigidity up front marginally better. Some people say the Comptech titanium strut bar is great ... don't know if I'd shell out that kinda $$$.

Type-S rims? You might want to consider Toyo T1-S or Yokohama Avid AVS-ES100. Since I live where it snows, I would buy all-seasons but you don't have to worry about that.

My $0.02 ...
hey,

i'm in the market for sways and i am deciding between comptech and eibach...do you still recommend comptechs? if so, do they suffer from the rusting problems like their springs? thanks in advance...
Old 02-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Age-old question about the silver Comptech powder-coating ... we know for sure that the silver colored springs WILL rust. I checked out my sways (silver coating) and they looked OK in the fall ... will check again when I wash my car next time.

Personally, I have been a fan of Comptechs. Eibach is not a bad name either but I would rather promote a company dedicated towards Honda/Acura parts. (Despite their rusting issues!)

BTW, I'm going to get my CT springs changed in the spring *under warranty*. I'm glad that Comptech will stand by their parts (before they break on me).

PS Do you live in a snowbelt area? Or roads that get salted in the winter? If you don't, then I would definitely get Comptechs.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by derrick
Age-old question about the silver Comptech powder-coating ... we know for sure that the silver colored springs WILL rust. I checked out my sways (silver coating) and they looked OK in the fall ... will check again when I wash my car next time.

Personally, I have been a fan of Comptechs. Eibach is not a bad name either but I would rather promote a company dedicated towards Honda/Acura parts. (Despite their rusting issues!)

BTW, I'm going to get my CT springs changed in the spring *under warranty*. I'm glad that Comptech will stand by their parts (before they break on me).

PS Do you live in a snowbelt area? Or roads that get salted in the winter? If you don't, then I would definitely get Comptechs.

thanks for your reply...i live in SoCal so i guess i wont have to worry about the salt rusting it. did you install yours yourself? if so, was it hard? do i need to jack the car up?
Old 02-13-2005, 01:24 PM
i

Originally Posted by TLover8888
thanks for your reply...i live in SoCal so i guess i wont have to worry about the salt rusting it. did you install yours yourself? if so, was it hard? do i need to jack the car up?
u will need to jack up one end of the car at a time, its a pretty straightforward installation. loosen bolts and take out original, slide in the new ones (the detail should be in the installation guide that comes with the bars)
Old 02-14-2005, 01:49 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
No offense at all, but I'm guessing that you're not too familiar with the working mechanicals of a car. The reason I say that is because you asked if you would need to jack up the car to install sway bars.

If you're not mechanically inclined, then you may want to take it to a shop. On a 2001, the bolts and nuts are probably seized up, anyway. My '03 TL-S and Darrin's '03 CL-S both had bolts and nuts seized, and we had to struggle to get them off.

The sway bars are installed by two brackets on the bottom of the car, and by an end link on each side. The brackets will be easy to get off. It's the end links that you have to worry about. You have to insert a hex key into the center, then use a crescent wrench to take the nut off. If you're not careful, you could strip the hex key slot, and then you would be in a world of shit. And chances are, they are seized on there to begin with.

You have to deal with the end links four times, and it won't be easy if you're not familiar with your ways around cars. I would honestly recommend saving yourself the headache and taking it to a shop. You said you live in California. Labor charges are much cheaper over there, anyway. I'm pretty sure you could get them installed for about a hundred bucks or less.

On a separate note, you will love the new handling characteristics. The car feels so much tighter around corners with less body roll.

Good luck.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
No offense at all, but I'm guessing that you're not too familiar with the working mechanicals of a car. The reason I say that is because you asked if you would need to jack up the car to install sway bars.

If you're not mechanically inclined, then you may want to take it to a shop. On a 2001, the bolts and nuts are probably seized up, anyway. My '03 TL-S and Darrin's '03 CL-S both had bolts and nuts seized, and we had to struggle to get them off.

The sway bars are installed by two brackets on the bottom of the car, and by an end link on each side. The brackets will be easy to get off. It's the end links that you have to worry about. You have to insert a hex key into the center, then use a crescent wrench to take the nut off. If you're not careful, you could strip the hex key slot, and then you would be in a world of shit. And chances are, they are seized on there to begin with.

You have to deal with the end links four times, and it won't be easy if you're not familiar with your ways around cars. I would honestly recommend saving yourself the headache and taking it to a shop. You said you live in California. Labor charges are much cheaper over there, anyway. I'm pretty sure you could get them installed for about a hundred bucks or less.

On a separate note, you will love the new handling characteristics. The car feels so much tighter around corners with less body roll.

Good luck.

i appreciate your advice and thoughts on the matter. if i do purchase the sways , then i'll give some thought to giving it to a mechanic.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:58 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
i appreciate your advice and thoughts on the matter. if i do purchase the sways , then i'll give some thought to giving it to a mechanic.
Any time.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:13 AM
All go, no show

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Eibach sways. I love them, their quality is top notch. Save $100 and buy sways used if u can, regardless of what brand you decide on.