spring and shock question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005 | 03:13 PM
Intermediate

spring and shock question

Im going to be dropping my car in a few weeks and I was thinking about going with eibach springs, but my question is, can i stay with stock shocks or do i need aftermarket?

Also, any suggestions on springs would be helpfull. I only plan on dropping about 2 in the front and 1.7 in the back. i have 03 tl-s with 235/35/19 if that helps with an answer.
Old 04-11-2005 | 03:22 PM
Instructor

I would highly recommend you get aftermarket shocks. The stock shocks won't be able to handle the springrate of those Eibach's for very long. If you were going to use some H&R OE's then you could probably get away with stock shocks.
Old 04-11-2005 | 10:12 PM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by timmy8151
I would highly recommend you get aftermarket shocks. The stock shocks won't be able to handle the springrate of those Eibach's for very long. If you were going to use some H&R OE's then you could probably get away with stock shocks.
how bout with comptech sporrt spring the silver ones
Old 04-11-2005 | 11:04 PM
Pro

/\/\/\/\ i have the comptech springs silver ones and people have been complaining they are rusting... i have not seen any problems yet (X my fingers)...

and you should DEFINATELY get aftermarket shocks cuz you are lowering hte car A LOt and the stock shocks will blow very quickly... save money on labor and get it done at once!
Old 04-11-2005 | 11:51 PM
Intermediate

I was also considering comptech springs, but i have also heard of the rusting. but how are they themselves? are they worth it?

As for shocks, i was thinking tokico blues, since i dont see myself adjusting them, why spend the money for the illuminas.

I've been trying to get more info on other forums, but what im curious to know from everyone is...
1. the set-up that they have (specifically, spring and shock set up, im also considering swaybar as well)
2 how satisfied they are with them

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-12-2005 | 12:32 AM
Boomer SOONER

I have had the silver Comptechs on the stock shocks for about 15k miles and I have 86k miles overall on the original shocks. I just didnt have the money at the time to get new shocks. But if you do, then it will save you on installation. But, the stock shocks are fine for a long time really - aftermarket shocks will ride slightly better because they are made for the drop. I will be getting new shocks soon though, because the stockers arent too happy anymore. Probably the Tokico blues or maybe the adjustable ones - I dont plan on adjusting them alot, but it would be nice to be able to drive a while and dial them in just how you want it.

I personally think the sway bar is a waste - the handling is alot better with the new springs, but if you do it, just get the rear because the fronts are the same on all of them including the stock one (the type S may be a mm or 2 thicker than the TLP)
Old 04-12-2005 | 12:46 AM
Intermediate

I also noticed that many people have tein springs. Is there something about tein that sets themselves above the rest or is it a rep thing?
Old 04-12-2005 | 08:52 PM
Pro

i woudlnt go with tein SS for our TL's (the ones most peple have)... i just personally dont feel its made for a luxury car... yes maybe more for a CL but not the TL

i think teh best drop for the TL is getting the tein H tech springs... the mastery lux or something liek that... it has a realy subtle drop like .75 and 1"... which then settles to 1" and 1.25"... get those springs with the tokico blues and ur set
Old 04-12-2005 | 09:24 PM
Pro

omg SEARCH
Old 04-12-2005 | 11:35 PM
Intermediate

inland empire assistance..

Since you are in the inland empire area (so cal) you do not need to worry about any rusting issue (if they are true). Notice all the folks with this complaint is from the east coast where they spray slat in the winter. The cars in the east coast all have this issue with rust in the under body which will depreciate their cars very fast, this is why you never buy a used car from the east coast for the dealers are willing to give it under the Kelly BB price. Anyway, I would recommend that you do the struts and the sway bar with the springs. If you do this you will make a 100% difference and the car will feel as if you are on rails.. I have the 2002 tl-s with CT springs, sway bar and koni yellows. Since I out it on, I feel safer due to the stability and the car is actually fun to drive. I suggest the swaybar due to the fact that they will have the car up and you might as well do the sturts the same time. I telling you, with the mods I mentioned, it will be difficult to go slow on Haven blvd.
Old 04-13-2005 | 05:27 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the information guys. Tnguye, i see that you know your way around rancho.

But should i go with around a 1" inch or 2" drop, with 19"s on?

Im just trying to narrow down products with durability, price, and street rep with those that know.
Old 04-14-2005 | 10:37 PM
Intermediate

19"?

I can not answer the 19" question for I have the mods on stock rims (17").. If you never had low profile tires you would need to be careful and you might want to reconsider. On my older 2000 tl, I had low profile tires and all it took was 1 pot hole to kill both the tire and wheel. The sidewall bubbled and the wheel was bent on a on ramp in the bay area.. If this occurs you are screwed for you loos a $200 tires and the wheel (its hard to get the wheel balanced after a hit like that). You will also need to worry on the offset to make sure you do not rub the fenders in the fronts and rears. Most likely the rears will rub with poeple in the back set and the front will rub when you turn sharp at slow speeds. If I were you and want to get some advise, go the wheel warehouse in Anaheim off the 91 fwt (by the 57 fwy).. These guys have a whole block full of wheels etc.. Make sure you call them for a price and they are willing to neg on the $$$.
Old 04-14-2005 | 11:33 PM
Intermediate

well, i know that my wheel offset is correct, because i have ron jon wheels, so i know that the offset is correct so im not worried about that. as for pot holes, no problems so far.

I think ive made a decision. comptech springs, and tokico blues. comptech sways come later. ill just have to wait and see about the camber kit.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-18-2005 | 01:19 AM
1999 Acura 3.2 TL

Alrightey, I didn`t want to make a new thread. So, I`m gonna hijack this one. Sorry :-X But um, I recently got into an accident (again). And I`ve talked to the bodyshop, and he says I can get some goodies out of this accident like I did last time. And I`m planning to get new shocks. He also has a set of 18``s for me with new rubber wrapped around them, for 6 bills. Going to check that out soon. I have Tein S.tech on my car right now, it`s 2.1F and 1.6R. I was just wondering what shocks will go best with this? Trying to go for something that is stiff. I like the stiff ride feeling, kind of leaning towards the adjustable ones. But is there any other stiff shocks that are a bit cheaper than the adjustable ones?
Old 04-18-2005 | 01:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Slikz I would suggest you go with the Koni Yellows if your looking for some stiff struts. There adjustable, but not cheap. I wouldn't go for "cheap" struts for your suspension, because if you buy cheap you get cheap results. So go for the koni yellows or tokico illuminas.
Old 04-18-2005 | 03:07 AM
1999 Acura 3.2 TL

Yeah, I was lookin` around on the internet, and I came across this, Tokico Illuminas . Is that a good price for a full set of shocks?