which shocks for the h & r oe's

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which shocks for the h & r oe's

so after months of trying to decide which springs to get, I've finally decided to get the H&R OE. I know it's a very subtle drop but thats what I want.
My question is which shocks would go best with the OE's? I am looking at the Tokico Illumina. I understand these are adjustable. Should I spend the extra money and get these aftermarket shocks or should I just get the factory shocks.

I found the springs for $330 (CDN). The install for the springs alone will be $200 (that's installed and balanced). I live in the GTA and thats the best price I could find. Does anyone know of any shops that I can pick up the springs and shocks for a better price?

thanks in advance.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:14 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely go with aftermarket...I went with the tokico blues only because I didn't feel the need to have to adjust them. Here are some pics of my setup...
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/hell-christmas-wreath-grill-124292/
We'll be expecting to see some of yours once you install them
Old 10-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Instructor

thanks snowman, your car looks sweet!
how do you find the ride quality compared to stock?
Old 10-16-2005, 08:48 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Originally Posted by africanstar
thanks snowman, your car looks sweet!
how do you find the ride quality compared to stock?
Very similar...it's kinda hard to explain but here goes. The initial bump is the same when but IMO there is no follow up bounce. With stock, I felt like you hit the bump and then bounced once more after you hit the bump...but not like the feeling when your shocks are bad. Does that make any sense...probably not. I avoid as many bumps/potholes as possible because of being lower to the ground=less travel=possible bottoming out. It's only happened to me once when I was on the highway and an unexpected bump came up, otherwise never had a problem over speedbumps or anything. Definitely worth it...I just couldn't justify the Illuminas because I wouldn't ever adjust them. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Instructor

now i'm even more confused. i've decided to go with the h and r oe's but now i don't know about the shocks.
i was pretty much set on the tokico illumina's but i heard that the koni yellows are a better shock with a better warranty.
what i would like to know is which shock is more comfortable. by that i mean which one is more like stock?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Tokico is less stiff than Koni (ie closer to 'stock' feel). Tokico cheaper than Koni (but Koni has a longer warranty but not necessarily "better").

I'm not sure what 'installed and balanced' means. You mean they will do a wheel alignment after they install the springs? You should wait about 2 weeks for the springs to settle before doing an alignment (so you don't wear out your tires so quickly)

BTW, aftricanstar ... why don't you show up to Toronto meets?
Old 10-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have the tokico blues..
personally, i think they're too soft.
to save cash..i would get the blues in the rear and the koni yellow in the front.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:29 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph_99tl
i have the tokico blues..
personally, i think they're too soft.
to save cash..i would get the blues in the rear and the koni yellow in the front.
personally i'm of the opposite opinion. i think the H&Rs are softer than the comptech springs i used to have. i'm happy with the tokico blues but i think i should have gone with firmer springs. just my opinion.

SSTS
Old 10-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Banned

GET THE ILLUMINAS!!!! i have them set on 3 and they rock.

and the best part is that they are reeeaaal easy to adjust.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by derrick
Tokico is less stiff than Koni (ie closer to 'stock' feel). Tokico cheaper than Koni (but Koni has a longer warranty but not necessarily "better").

I'm not sure what 'installed and balanced' means. You mean they will do a wheel alignment after they install the springs? You should wait about 2 weeks for the springs to settle before doing an alignment (so you don't wear out your tires so quickly)

BTW, aftricanstar ... why don't you show up to Toronto meets?
thanks derrick,

any idea of where i could pick up the illuminas for a decent price? so far, the lowest price i could find is just under $200each.

as for the Toronto meets, i was going to come to the last one at acura woodbine but something came up and i missed it. keep me posted when the next one will be.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Tokico Illuminas ... give Woodbine Acura a call. Ask for Paul (part mgr) and tell him Derrick from the Acurazine site sent you (from Windsor). I'm pretty sure he remembers me. I'm pretty sure he can get them to you for much less than C$200 each. I got 4 Koni Yellows for C$850 so Tokicos should be around C$600-ish (just a guess).

There has to be other places than can give you a deal. Places near Pacific Mall (Steeles / Kennedy) should be a place I'd call around to see.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:39 PM
Initial D

so after months of trying to decide which springs to get, I've finally decided to get the H&R OE. I know it's a very subtle drop but thats what I want.
My question is which shocks would go best with the OE's? I am looking at the Tokico Illumina. I understand these are adjustable. Should I spend the extra money and get these aftermarket shocks or should I just get the factory shocks.

I found the springs for $330 (CDN). The install for the springs alone will be $200 (that's installed and balanced). I live in the GTA and thats the best price I could find. Does anyone know of any shops that I can pick up the springs and shocks for a better price?

thanks in advance.
Bilstein Sport Shocks with lifetime warranty. You have a 100% made in Germany spring with quality second to none, I would stay with German made shocks.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by derrick
Tokico Illuminas ... give Woodbine Acura a call. Ask for Paul (part mgr) and tell him Derrick from the Acurazine site sent you (from Windsor). I'm pretty sure he remembers me. I'm pretty sure he can get them to you for much less than C$200 each. I got 4 Koni Yellows for C$850 so Tokicos should be around C$600-ish (just a guess).

There has to be other places than can give you a deal. Places near Pacific Mall (Steeles / Kennedy) should be a place I'd call around to see.

Paul at Woodbine Acura is now the service manager. Rob is in charge of parts. I was there a couple of days ago and he insisted the Koni yellows are the way to go. He quoted me $200each for the Koni's. That seems like a decent price but I really want the ride quality to stay as close to stock as possible.
As for Pacific mall, I don't know if I really trust anyone there. I've seen all sorts of knock-offs that they are trying to pass off as the real thing.
Any idea of what the labour would be to get them installed?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:57 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Paul at Woodbine Acura is now the service manager. Rob is in charge of parts. I was there a couple of days ago and he insisted the Koni yellows are the way to go. He quoted me $200each for the Koni's. That seems like a decent price but I really want the ride quality to stay as close to stock as possible.
As for Pacific mall, I don't know if I really trust anyone there. I've seen all sorts of knock-offs that they are trying to pass off as the real thing.
Any idea of what the labour would be to get them installed?
The Koni's are a little stiffer than the Tokico Blues. If you want to keep closest to stock ride, go with the blues. That's what I went with and I have no regrets at all. The Illuminas IMO are a waste of money unless you are going to be racing your car on a track. I'm not gonna adjust my shocks when I get home from work for a tighter ride when I go out that night...that's just me though.