Rubbing Arrrgh Tabs / Fenders H&R OE's System in Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Rubbing Arrrgh Tabs / Fenders H&R OE's System in Trunk

Shit

If you have a system in your trunk stick with stock springs for the rear and drop the front to balance....

I got my new wheels put on and.....

Wheel Size 18x8 w/ 45 offset
Tire Size 225/45/18

I like the width... It's not perfectly flush probably 50 offset is perfect imo, but I can live with this...

I have weight in the back of my car and with the stock springs I was rubbing BAD after the new wheels/tires were put on this morning. I had my tokico blues/ H&R OE's in my garage, so I had them installed today... H&R OE .75 front / .5 rear drop

When I went to see my car the back is even lower now (SLAMMED) looking like my car is going to blast off like a rocket ship... I thought that the newer springs in the rear would be stronger, but they are not and they sat .5 to an inch lower than the stock springs....

Monday I will probably have to ask them to us the Stock Rear Springs and keep the H&R on the front.... The front looked good.

I was looking to find the "How To" on cutting the tabs and rolling the fender... I don't know anyone who has a fender rolling machine and I don't want to crack my paint.... How do I heat it up and lightly use a mallet or something if I have to?

I have 100k miles on my rear springs... I called the dealership and they said they don't typically replace them unless they are really worn bad or messed up... Do you think I should use my old springs which kept my car higher or should I get replacement stock springs for the rear... I mean would there really be anything wrong with just having them put my stock springs back on the rear even though they have 100k miles?

after I get all this figured out I'll post pics... I love my rims and as long as I'm not bottoming out or messing my tires up rubbing down the street on my bumper tab.

Please answer my questions on how to cut my tabs and roll my fenders with pics : ) and do I need to purchase stock height springs or can I throw my old one's on and be done with it?

Thanks in advance and for reading my novel,

-Doc
Old 03-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked all over the find someone to roll my fenders, no one would do it. They said it was too risky, could crack the paint. although there could be someone in your area with the right equipment. Don't know about cutting tabs.

The rubbing seems weird, I have 245/35/19's lowered to one finger gap with a very heavy system in the trunk (see avatar) very rarely rubs...anyway, good luck
Old 03-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ChicoOG
I looked all over the find someone to roll my fenders, no one would do it. They said it was too risky, could crack the paint. although there could be someone in your area with the right equipment. Don't know about cutting tabs.

The rubbing seems weird, I have 245/35/19's lowered to one finger gap with a very heavy system in the trunk (see avatar) very rarely rubs...anyway, good luck

I dunno.... all I know is that I got my new wheels and tires on this morning and I was buzzing on really steady dips and on turns in either direction... Pisses me off because it's marking up my new tires pffft... I have options though...

I want to keep my 225/45/18s and do not want to go to 225/40/18... but I will have to stick with stock shocks for the rear and maybe have to cut the tabs... don't know if I have to mess with the fenders, but it seems if you would have to cut the tab then you would probably have to roll the fenders as well right?
Old 03-09-2008, 04:27 AM
HELP!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
serious? rubbing with H&R OE's? i didn't even have rubbing issues with my Sports with a system in the back. Well, to cut the tabs it's easy. look at your fenders and you'll see a tab that sticks out that can potentially rub against your tires. just trim those off with a dremel/exacto whatever and see if it rubs again. This may help eliminate the problem, but if you're still having rubbing issues, you MIGHT have to roll fenders. but seriously...rolling fenders for H&R OE's? your system must be like 500lbs.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by oVerBoost
serious? rubbing with H&R OE's? i didn't even have rubbing issues with my Sports with a system in the back. Well, to cut the tabs it's easy. look at your fenders and you'll see a tab that sticks out that can potentially rub against your tires. just trim those off with a dremel/exacto whatever and see if it rubs again. This may help eliminate the problem, but if you're still having rubbing issues, you MIGHT have to roll fenders. but seriously...rolling fenders for H&R OE's? your system must be like 500lbs.
I know... I don't know what to say... but when I left discount everytime there was a dip in the road it would buzz : ( and when I got home you could tell that it's the corner of the tab thats hitting my tire making a white line almost about 3 mm wide on the tires. Maybe my stock spring is soft now after 100k miles... I dunno

In my trunk at all times: I have 2 amps and wires / navi unit / 2 farad cap / spare tire / box with two 10's/ jack

when I left the dealer he put my 4 wheels ... 2 in backseat and 2 in the trunk.... but I don't want buzzing with just that...

Could someone let me know where I can get my hands on some new stock springs... Stealorship is asking for over $200 per spring !
Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Like I said a month ago- get STIFFER springs for the rears since you already had a level problem

The tab is where the rear bumper cover meets the fender - that body line on the fender-
Rolling fenders- look inside at the edge of the metal and see how it can be scraping the tires, Either roll that edge in on itself, or bulge the entire fender edge out a little (this is where paint issue comes into play) or get out the angle grinder and goggles and cut the offending metal off- then paint edge so it doesnt rust
Old 03-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Like I said a month ago- get STIFFER springs for the rears since you already had a level problem

The tab is where the rear bumper cover meets the fender - that body line on the fender-
Rolling fenders- look inside at the edge of the metal and see how it can be scraping the tires, Either roll that edge in on itself, or bulge the entire fender edge out a little (this is where paint issue comes into play) or get out the angle grinder and goggles and cut the offending metal off- then paint edge so it doesnt rust

I asked around about the stiffer springs and a few people said that they don't know any company that makes that... They all said that springs got stiffer the lower you go they make them thicker....

I'm thinking maybe new Stock Springs might work best... my rear is lowered anyways to a perfect height for me... I just thought the new H&R's would fix everything because they would be new and stronger... but they are not that much stiffer to hold it up.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Team Owner

asked around???-
by calling authorized dealers like Excelerate or MrHeelToe???, who could explain that you can buy springs with a much stiffer rate. Rate is a factor of coil compression- diameter and spacing between the coils.
New stock springs are not strong enough- too soft in initail compression for your load.
Or get rear coilovers- megans- that have an adjustable outer collar and lets you raise the back up.
Oh face it man- you NEED coilovers so you can set the ride level- send that other stuff back!~
Old 03-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Odds are just due to the rim width and offset you will just need to trim the tabs. Cut them and see if it still rubs. You wont find stiffer springs. Either put the stocks back on or get coilovers so that you can adjust for the weight.

Used the search button

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=30
Old 03-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Team Owner

Docs car was sitting waaaay buttlowe already- before any work was done to it- stereo must weigh more than acura intended for rear seat and trunk area and roasted the OE springs.
100k miles in Texas is what in Earth miles of car wear and tear??

You guys do realize there is a weight limit for the trunk right?
the weight aft of the wheel centerline is called unsprung weight, and dramatically affects the car.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:08 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Cut tabs and you will be fine
Old 03-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Pro

Ya I asked H&R and the guy at the company where I bought my parts.... RMS and he said you won't find a stiffer spring in stock size... I mean, I'm not taking their word as gospel, but they both said the same things... I don't really give a shit lol I just want it to sit normal and not rub

It was sitting at a nice level with the stock... I should have just left it, but people were telling me that the H&R would be a stiffer spring and hell, I didn't know... I read on one of Inspire's posts where he did the same thing.... I think with the new tokico's and the new H&R on the frong and the stock springs on the rear is probably as good as it's gonna get for me. I just was wondering if I should go through the trouble of buying new stock springs for that height or if I could just put the old one's on there because I wouldn't notice a difference if they were new or old...

this is my car with stock springs.... notice how the rear is fine

I went to the place after they put the H&R's on there and that back was about an inch lower in the rear...

thanks fsttyms I was looking for that damn post
Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Also know that the front and rear wheel wells arent the same height so trying to get them level wont happen without the car being raked
Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Also know that the front and rear wheel wells arent the same height so trying to get them level wont happen without the car being raked

ya I know and I don't want to rake my front end on anything anyways lol... .75 to 1 inch is good for me and to keep the rear the same is fine.... then hopefully today I'll cut the tabs or I'll have them do it and be done with it : )
Old 03-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
ya I know and I don't want to rake my front end on anything anyways lol... .75 to 1 inch is good for me and to keep the rear the same is fine.... then hopefully today I'll cut the tabs or I'll have them do it and be done with it : )
I wouldnt pay any one to do that work. All you need to do is use a dremel or hot knife or snips or utility knife and trim them yourself.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Pro

Question

yeah he doesn't want to do it... but I don't have a dremmel... I'll probably do it myself...

He said that we gained like 2 inches by putting the stock back on in the rear so that it sits more level : )

Do springs really ever go bad anyways?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Team Owner

springs suffer from load wearout abnd aqe
I would talk in person to a shop that does springs for trucks- they can measure what you have a make or match a set of windings for you.
The car never sat leve,l and yours looks way low in the rear stock~
Old 03-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Pro

I might do that... but for now they already threw the stock back on there... we'll just hope it doesn't rub after I cut the tabs...

He said he didn't want to because there is a support bracket or some kind of a clip there... and it would put more stress on the bracket further in the back... hmm

we'll see and I'll probably have to trim them myself
Old 03-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
springs suffer from load wearout abnd aqe
I would talk in person to a shop that does springs for trucks- they can measure what you have a make or match a set of windings for you.
The car never sat leve,l and yours looks way low in the rear stock~
Honestly i wouldnt recommend trying to have springs made. Not only would it be expensive, it could be dangerous and completely change the ride of the car. His best bet is Coilovers. He can adjust the rear ride height to look normal with his stereo.

Oh and i had over 250k on mine and it still sat level, and they werent worn out.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Senior Moderator

I might do that... but for now they already threw the stock back on there... we'll just hope it doesn't rub after I cut the tabs...

He said he didn't want to because there is a support bracket or some kind of a clip there... and it would put more stress on the bracket further in the back... hmm

we'll see and I'll probably have to trim them myself
You dont cut the bracket off, you just trim the part of the bumper that thats rubbing. No support gets cut
Old 03-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Pro

Question

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You dont cut the bracket off, you just trim the part of the bumper that thats rubbing. No support gets cut

kk that's what I was thinking... I haven't done anything like this before lol... There's always a first : )

I will have to purchase something to make the cut though... what is the best/easiest/most affordable tool to buy to cut through that tough plastic?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Team Owner

kitchen scissors, its just plastic
Old 03-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Pro

lol yeah right : )

I'm going to take pics when this is done... they installed my lower cusco bar and my progress sway Can't wait to drive it : )
Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Senior Moderator

lol yeah right : )

I'm going to take pics when this is done... they installed my lower cusco bar and my progress sway Can't wait to drive it : )
If they were strong enough they would work. Its just plastic. Tin snips would work better.

Got a utility knife and a torch, make the poor mans hot knife and slice right thru it.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Dremel took care of my tabs in no time..28's no rub..jk, but yeah, a dremel and I smoothed mine down and it doesn't even look like they have been trimmed with the grinding tool
Old 03-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Pro

Got her finished... well almost....

I put the stock springs on the back and the H&R on the front and here's what it looks like : )

Before

AFTER : ) The front actually sits a little lower than the rear now about .4 inches lower

I'm going to go by the dealership to see if the acura emblems will fit the center cap

I'm going to be honest here... my tires are 224/45/18 and I get rubbing on the FRONT sometimes and on the REAR on dips if I drive too fast.... so the guy at discount said to bring it by and he'll get 225/40/18's on there to help with it... and the tires DO stick out about 1/8 inch from the fender... so it does throw water and shit further up on my car, but it's not that bad...

I still might cut the tabs and bend the fenders up a little... they serve no purpose and my bumper cover is rattling a little... so I need to tighten that up as well...

With the cusco lower bar on and the progress RSB on.... I notice a HUGE difference.... makes me wanna fly around corners more to see lol... I also put a camber kit on all the wheels, so she feels really smooth driving and it's fun taking a turn now... I used to give myself a wide birth turn and switch to the 2nd lane sometimes because of body lean and now it's smooth right into the first lane : ) I love it and Highly recommend those two bars as an upgrade.

I would also recommend a higher offset if that brings the tire in under the fender 1/8 of an inch or so... My car looks great though and I'm happy as long as I can take care of the rubbing...
Old 03-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Pro

Well... although I liked the look of the 225/45/18's.... I was rubbing on my front fenders when I would hit a cloverleaf onramp incline : ( The rear wasn't rubbing that much... and I could have fixed that with trimming the tabs, but it was the damn front fenders

So I put 225/40/18's on and now everything is gravy... it added a little gap to the look, but the functionality is back... My car handles like never before : ) I love taking turns and it feels a little lighter.

My car looks like how it should have come stock height and ride's pretty soft with increased handling... I'm very pleased...
Old 03-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 03-16-2008, 12:39 PM
02 WDP type-S Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that is kinda weird that it would rub in the first place the car doesn't even look dropped
Old 03-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by importvizion
that is kinda weird that it would rub in the first place the car doesn't even look dropped
Offset and tire width.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by importvizion

I know... was pissing me off... I drive fast kinda... and dips would make it buzz... even if I was alone... so when there is weight in the car it would even be worse : (

I think the H&R OE's are just soft to be honest... I'm sure the sport have a much higher spring rate
Old 03-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Pro

yeah... honestly the sidewalls stick out barely... my offset is 45 with the 18x8's

I don't like the look off my tires being any thinner, but it handles great and feels lighter and I don't have to worry about the front fender as much...

Now I gotta find the time to paint my calipers... The only question I really have is if I can paint only the part that shows... and leave the back nice and dirty lol?

If people can't see it and it won't chip from the back then who cares : ) Eventually I wanna do the ss brake lines and the 95 legend calipers... and I'm painting mine black so it shows off my wheels more... a flat dark grey would look cool too imo