Rear rubbing on new tire setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear rubbing on new tire setup

ok... finally went and spent big bucks on a new tire mag/setup after doing quite a bit of research on this forum to avoid any potentially rubbing and voila.... I have rear rubbing going on.

I put Enkie rims 17 x 8 with +48 offset and 225/50/17 goodyear eagle f1s tires.
I am running stock suspension ( no lowering).

When running a full tank of gas with only driver and passenger in front, I have:
- some slight rubbing going on in back when I go over a large undulation in road or take an extreme turn.
- and no rubbing infront.

The look is really nice, so I am happy about that, but my concern is the rubbing in the back, especially if i have a few passengers back there.

I have been told to roll the rear fenders, however the rear tires protrude outside the rear fender well ever so slightly by 5mm.
Will rolling the fender even help in this case?

any comments or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thx
Old 04-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
It's unfortunate that you're experiencing rubbing, despite researching on the topic. Even though there are measurements done ... there is still some variation on offset, etc. That's why in the post discussing offset / sizes / etc ... those numbers are only suggestions.

One thing -- 8" rims are extremely difficult to fit on our cars due to the high offset required from the factory. The OEM rims are 17x6.5" with +55 offset. The Enkeis in question are 17x8 with +48 offset. Offset change alone is -7mm, coupled with a 1.5" difference in rim width. (Total change of 45mm or 1.75" outwards). Secondly ... 225/50/17 tire VS 215/50/17 tire ... that will add to 'rubbing' potential.

It's a shame that your current setup is giving you some problems. Do you have pics of your setup? I would hate to consider you purchasing a suspension and rolling fenders to minimize rubbing. But based upon your description, if your tires stick out wider than the car itself, you might have to change tires +/- rims after all. Sorry for the bad luck.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
8" +48 should NOT protrude outside the fenders regardless. My guess is that those wheels are not +48 but rather +42 or less. Check the inside of the wheel for the size specs. May be a mislabled set.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Advanced

I will do just that.
However I am running 225 tires as opposed to 215 tires whic could account for the protrusion.

The roundest part of the sidewall which is close to centre of the sidewall sticks out 5mm with respect to the outside edge of the fender.

But if I measure, the top of the tire where the actual tire surface touches the ground it is flush with the fender (or maybe even slightly inside).

So I am crossing my fingers that a rear fender roll will work ( Monday April 10th) or do you think I am wasting my time and more money with this option?

The rubbing is only occassional and minimal . This is with a full tank of gas and two people in the front.

Rubbing only happens in the rear if I go over a large undulation at high speed or if I take a corner very aggressively.

I am trying to figure out where the tire is touching, I look at the under side of the fender (lip) and do not see any abrashion? could it be rubbing inside the wheel well somwhere?

thx

BTW ......
It looks damn good though ....even without a drop...rear profile looks strong and powerful.
I
Old 04-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Agean Blue Bishes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you sure its rubbing the fender and not the tab?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
What is rubbing? Do you see wear marks on the tires? Where?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Advanced

Good questions.

I think I see a wear mark on the outside sidewall of the rear tire, where it starts to expanded past the fender. Again I am not sure if this is a wear mark because I see similar looking marks on the front tires too!

I do not see any wear on the underside of the rear fender lip...so I am confused.
I know it rubs in the rear but where I am not 100%.

When you say "could it be rubbing on the tab?" where is the tab exactly?

thx
Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Intermediate

I was also rubbing before with an enkei 18x7.5 45 offset. I know, aside from you and me, there's at least one more member here having a problem with an enkei wheel with the same size as mine. I change to 18x7.5 48 offset with a different wheel manufacturer and saw a big difference. I bought my wheels from discount tire and was able to return and replace them with this 48 offset wheel. I honestly think that there is a problem with the enkei offset. My wheels are sticking out with an enkei 45 offset and after changing it with an ASA 48 offset, the wheels are now tuck in.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Advanced

follow-up......
cut the rear bumber tabs and rubbing issue is resolved.

yes...........