problem with camber kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem with camber kit

i just got my camber kit installed.. it was the spc camber kit and im lower on tein ss's. after i got my front installed, it seems like my front shoxs bottom out when i got over some dips on the road. has this ever happened to anyone..

i have had the teins installed for over a month now and the spc kit was installed this weekend by trueline who also did the alinement.

anyone expirence the same problem. i have tried to stiffen the dampining in the front shox too but im not sure how far i should go.. i have it has something like 16 settings.. so i turned the knob on the top of the shox 16 clicks but i seems like it can go further.. any advice??
Old 06-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
The clearance between the shock tower and the top of the upper control arm becomes greatly reduced by the nut that holds the camber kit.

I have the same problem, and I have an indentation on each shock tower in the front. It's unavoidable. The real problem is that when it does bottom out, the suspension has no more room to travel, and thus stop absorbing the force of the impact. But the unabsorbed force HAS TO go somewhere... the first line of defense would be the tire, then the wheel, then the studs, then basically the entire suspension.

California isn't that bad, as far as I know. But in Michigan,where the roads are HORRIBLE, I am constantly dodging anything on the road that I think is high/low enough to cause the suspension to bottom out.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Dragging knees in

Oh, yeah... do NOT turn it more than 16 times. That will mess up the dampers.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Racer

ingalls adjustable control arm

Guys, I just installed the ingalls adjustable control arm this weekend. I tell you, my car turns tight and my ride is by far better. I'm amazed how changing the contol arm affected my suspension. Going over the bumps were smoother and quieter. The control of the vehicle is tighter. When I brake, the front end doesn't dive down as much as b/4 either. I didn't need the camber kit, but I wasn't happy with the ride. I definitely recommend this!!! There was no problem with the oem contol arms when it was uninstalled!
Old 06-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Oh, yeah... do NOT turn it more than 16 times. That will mess up the dampers.
so your saying there is really nothing i can do to prevent this.. thats no good.. if thats the case im thinking of going back stock.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 99TLHeather
Guys, I just installed the ingalls adjustable control arm this weekend. I tell you, my car turns tight and my ride is by far better. I'm amazed how changing the contol arm affected my suspension. Going over the bumps were smoother and quieter. The control of the vehicle is tighter. When I brake, the front end doesn't dive down as much as b/4 either. I didn't need the camber kit, but I wasn't happy with the ride. I definitely recommend this!!! There was no problem with the oem contol arms when it was uninstalled!
so what exactly does this ingalls adjustable control arm do?? how will this help me.. sorry for the dumb question.. i just want to make sure it helps prevvent from my front shox from bottoming out.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Instructor

Another question: when i dropped my car. my teins have about 3 treads left before been on the lowest settings. is there anything i can get for my car that will prevent camber besides a camber kit? or is there a better kit to use that will not prevent me from bottoming out? or can i modify the spc camber kit that i have??
Old 06-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ryguyGTSK
so what exactly does this ingalls adjustable control arm do?? how will this help me.. sorry for the dumb question.. i just want to make sure it helps prevvent from my front shox from bottoming out.
http://www.ingallseng.com/parts/39201-39204.htm

This is from the ingalls sight. It's not going to stop you from bottoming out.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:14 PM
6th Gear

hey 99TLHeather, where did you get your ingalls adjustable control arm from?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Instructor

http://www.ingallseng.com/parts/39201-39204.htm

This is from the ingalls sight. It's not going to stop you from bottoming out.
so with this adjustable control arm, i see it will add some space for movement. does this mean that i dont need my camber kit and this will replace it??
Old 06-14-2005, 09:41 AM
Racer

This will adjust the camber. This is a camber kit. Instead of installing the adj ball joint to the oem contol arm, you just replace the entire oem control with the ingalls and your good to go. Talk to the sales reps at ingalls first. Your pretty much slammed. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Instructor

This will adjust the camber. This is a camber kit. Instead of installing the adj ball joint to the oem contol arm, you just replace the entire oem control with the ingalls and your good to go. Talk to the sales reps at ingalls first. Your pretty much slammed. Good luck!
hey .. just wanted to say thanks for everything..
Old 06-15-2005, 01:02 AM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Originally Posted by ryguyGTSK
i just got my camber kit installed.. it was the spc camber kit and im lower on tein ss's. after i got my front installed, it seems like my front shoxs bottom out when i got over some dips on the road. has this ever happened to anyone..

i have had the teins installed for over a month now and the spc kit was installed this weekend by trueline who also did the alinement.

anyone expirence the same problem. i have tried to stiffen the dampining in the front shox too but im not sure how far i should go.. i have it has something like 16 settings.. so i turned the knob on the top of the shox 16 clicks but i seems like it can go further.. any advice??

i had the SAME problem that you have and im dropped at your EXACT height (i have tein ss also)

what i got my front camber kit installed + aligment my car would bottom out a lot
but now what i did was i asked the aligment people to keep my fronts at a negitive degree of camber so my tires sit in a little bit so they can clear the fender. and this solved my problem. i'm going back soon to ask them if they can adjust it more since its at -1.4/-1.6 in the front now.. before it was within specs with the camber. so to save money this is the way to go
Old 06-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by pimpravi
i had the SAME problem that you have and im dropped at your EXACT height (i have tein ss also)

what i got my front camber kit installed + aligment my car would bottom out a lot
but now what i did was i asked the aligment people to keep my fronts at a negitive degree of camber so my tires sit in a little bit so they can clear the fender. and this solved my problem. i'm going back soon to ask them if they can adjust it more since its at -1.4/-1.6 in the front now.. before it was within specs with the camber. so to save money this is the way to go
That'll prevent tires from rubbing, but this will not do anything to the travel distance between the shock tower and the top of the upper control arm, where the camber kit sits.

Thanks for the link to the Ingalls camber kit. I am switching to those as soon as possible. SPC camber kits are pieces of shit; I've had them on my car for only a couple of months now, and the ball joint boots are already showing extensive wear. I had been wishing that an entire UCA camber kit was available for my car, after looking at my buddy's setup, but I guess I didn't have to wish. The Ingalls front camber kit just moved up to the number one spot on my to-do list.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Racer

Honestly speaking, I haven't sent in my spc rear camber kit for warranty, but i think I'll take the sunk cost and but the ingalls rear camber kit!
Old 06-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Racer

The only thing I don't like about the ingalls adj upper control arm is that thay use 4 hex key screws on the ball joint to adjust camber. You need to torque to 20lbs. I think they shldv'e used some big bolts without hex. Worries me that if I hit a big pothole, the screws might shift.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Dragging knees in

The only thing I don't like about the ingalls adj upper control arm is that thay use 4 hex key screws on the ball joint to adjust camber. You need to torque to 20lbs. I think they shldv'e used some big bolts without hex. Worries me that if I hit a big pothole, the screws might shift.
Nope. Four is better than one for even torque distribution.

My buddy has the Ingalls-type camber kit on his car, and he's never had a problem with them shifting positions. Not even when he hit a major pothole and dented his downpipe.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Wow, Thanks alot to the people here in regards to the SPC Front camber kit and the issues/problems with the front SPC camber kit and camber problems in general :ryguyGTSK, Pure Adrenaline, 99TLHeather, pimpravi

I have a SPC front camber kit here ready to be installed and I am having second thoughts about even installing them after what 99TLHeather posted regarding the Ingalls upper control arm with camber adjustments.

1) 99TLHeather or anyone else?, do you know if this Ingalls upper control arm will fit the Acura TLS also without any problems or it fits all Acura TL's?

2) Secondly notice on Heather's link:
Ingall's site for the Upper Control Arm
Notice on their website it says "Adjustment Range -2° to +1-3/4° " but yet on the bottom right where it says "solution", it says its range is "This allows the ball joint to ride at the correct position relative to the spindle anywhere in the control arms -2° to +4° range of adjustment. "
( since most of you guys have your car slammed at the front, you would need probably camber adjustments angles for at least up to 3"inch height drop accomodation.)
What is the actual adjustment range for the front camber then?
Old 06-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by Michael03TLS
Wow, Thanks alot to the people here in regards to the SPC Front camber kit and the issues/problems with the front SPC camber kit and camber problems in general :ryguyGTSK, Pure Adrenaline, 99TLHeather, pimpravi

I have a SPC front camber kit here ready to be installed and I am having second thoughts about even installing them after what 99TLHeather posted regarding the Ingalls upper control arm with camber adjustments.

1) 99TLHeather or anyone else?, do you know if this Ingalls upper control arm will fit the Acura TLS also without any problems or it fits all Acura TL's?

2) Secondly notice on Heather's link:
Ingall's site for the Upper Control Arm
Notice on their website it says "Adjustment Range -2° to +1-3/4° " but yet on the bottom right where it says "solution", it says its range is "This allows the ball joint to ride at the correct position relative to the spindle anywhere in the control arms -2° to +4° range of adjustment. "
( since most of you guys have your car slammed at the front, you would need probably camber adjustments angles for at least up to 3"inch height drop accomodation.)
What is the actual adjustment range for the front camber then?
Your best bet is to probably call up Ingalls.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:58 PM
6th Gear

thanks 99TLHeather for the info on these upper control arms. i'm definitely gonna order these for my car cause i have all kinds of negative camber
Old 06-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Mazda=redneckricer

I have the same problem,
All u have to do is memorize where the dips and bumps are in your state and you'll be all good.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Racer

No problem guys, I bought the one up to 1.5inch drop. If you go into the ingalls sight they have another for past 1.5 inch drop. I have about a 2 finger gap on my ride. You guys should call ingalls regarding clearance since you all have slammed your cars. I didn't have front camber kit b/4 and after I installed the the camber kit, I noticed a big diff in ride. Not sure if it has to do with the alignment. My caster b/4 camber kit was 2.2 left and right side. My caster now with camber kit is 2.47 left and 2.09 right. Steering is a bit tighter.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:34 PM
6MT & LSD

No problem guys, I bought the one up to 1.5inch drop. If you go into the ingalls sight they have another for past 1.5 inch drop. I have about a 2 finger gap on my ride. You guys should call ingalls regarding clearance since you all have slammed your cars. I didn't have front camber kit b/4 and after I installed the the camber kit, I noticed a big diff in ride. Not sure if it has to do with the alignment. My caster b/4 camber kit was 2.2 left and right side. My caster now with camber kit is 2.47 left and 2.09 right. Steering is a bit tighter.
You mean your camber is now 2.47L 2.09R?
Old 06-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Racer

No ndx2, that is my caster!! Caster, I believe will make your steering a bit tighter and absorb bumps better to a certain degree. Again, a camber kit will give you more tire to the ground!
Old 06-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Racer

I ordered mine from ultrarev.xxx, best price I've seen. I just got my ingalls rear camber kit which replaces center and rear links compared to upper link for spc. Got it for $139 shipped! I installed my oem upper arm and took off the spc. Ingalls rear camber kit has no ball joints and bushings are polyurethane. Hopefully it all works out.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Dragging knees in

No ndx2, that is my caster!! Caster, I believe will make your steering a bit tighter and absorb bumps better to a certain degree. Again, a camber kit will give you more tire to the ground!
So let me get this straight. You got a camber kit, and you were able to change the caster with it?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
So let me get this straight. You got a camber kit, and you were able to change the caster with it?
No I don't think you can change the caster. I was trying to point out the reason why my cars steering and turinin is tighter. "The reason for high caster is to give you more grip on initial turnin into the corner, as you turn the wheel the front end gains camber and this gives you more grip."

I'm not sure if you can adjust caster, but all I know is that my alignment specs for caster from 10/1/04 was 2.20 left and right. And know it's 2.47 left and 2.09 right.

If caster can't be changed than my suspension components (spindle...etc) are pretty bent up.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Banned

www.iapdirect.com has the ingalls kit for sale right now. use the coupon code V6PING and you will get an extra $10 off.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by car_lost
www.iapdirect.com has the ingalls kit for sale right now. use the coupon code V6PING and you will get an extra $10 off.
That's where I got mine, w/out coupon though!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Dragging knees in

No I don't think you can change the caster. I was trying to point out the reason why my cars steering and turinin is tighter. "The reason for high caster is to give you more grip on initial turnin into the corner, as you turn the wheel the front end gains camber and this gives you more grip."

I'm not sure if you can adjust caster, but all I know is that my alignment specs for caster from 10/1/04 was 2.20 left and right. And know it's 2.47 left and 2.09 right.

If caster can't be changed than my suspension components (spindle...etc) are pretty bent up.
Yeah, that's what I was gonna say. You can't adjust the caster on our cars, and I'm not aware of any adjustable caster kits.

It sucks.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Racer

I'm sure they can tweak it somewhat. How the hell could my caster from one alignment be so much different from another. I don't want to spend $400 for both spindles!!! That's the only way to find out. I guess.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by car_lost
i was just looking at the site but they only have the adj. ball joint camber kits.. im looking for the control arm replacment kit like 99 has.. thanks tho