opinion needed on springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 01:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opinion needed on springs

Hi, everyone.
Yesterday, I lowered my 02 TL-S with JDM kg/mm DDR springs and the drop is too low and too harsh for a chicago car. Now, I want to get springs that will NOT be too low, but lower than stock as well as comfortable ride close to stock.
I did a search on the forum and noticed that many people suggest H&R 50103. Would this be more comfortable than Comptech springs? Also not too low as ricey civic?
thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Banned

bump!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
well how low is the drop you have now? I would say the best drop was the older Comptech springs...I have them and they are great, but they are rusting so I will have to get new ones soon...damnit! Other than that, the HR sports are very popular. The ride will be stiffer with any aftermarket spring - you can get adjustable shocks to get it close to stock again.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ou sig
well how low is the drop you have now? I would say the best drop was the older Comptech springs...I have them and they are great, but they are rusting so I will have to get new ones soon...damnit! Other than that, the HR sports are very popular. The ride will be stiffer with any aftermarket spring - you can get adjustable shocks to get it close to stock again.
Well, right now, it is supposed to be 1.6 in F and 1.4 in rear, but I think they are lower than that. Tight two finger gab in front and tight one finger gab in rear with stock 17" type-s rims and tires. So, that is pretty low.
For comptech, the newer ones are lower than H&R sport springs, so I am thinking, H&R will be less stiff.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
comptech is 1" rear and 1.25" front.... in my opinion, its the BEST drop and the ride is rEALLY as close to stock you can get....
Old 02-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Banned

At comptechusa site, it says 2" in Front and 1.7" in rear.
I guess newer version has changed?
http://www.comptechusa.com/store/110135tl.html
Old 02-28-2005, 05:50 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by SilverIce2000
comptech is 1" rear and 1.25" front.... in my opinion, its the BEST drop and the ride is rEALLY as close to stock you can get....
that is for the '04 TL I think, the new Comptechs drop it down like 2.1 front and 1.7 back...more than HR Sports
Old 02-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Banned

that is for the '04 TL I think, the new Comptechs drop it down like 2.1 front and 1.7 back...more than HR Sports
Yup, that is what I found, too.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Pro

OHH ABOUT THAT--- i just got the latest news on that.... since the older comptechs were rusting, comptech decided to just re-label eibach springs... One of my friends was telling me this, and now the comptech drop is like you said, 2.1 and 1.7... Which to me is rediculous, and yes comptech springs are the same as eibach springs...

SO, if you ask me, if u dont ge the older comptech with the more subtle drop 1.25 and 1 then you should definately go for the H&R which gives you the option of two drops, 1.75 and 1.5 ORR 1.25 and 1 --- two diff sets of springs- one is more of a drop than other, search it up
Old 03-01-2005, 10:46 AM
アキュラ 力

I just dropped my car using a set of H&R sport springs. The ride, of course, is stiffer but not unbearable. At times you can't even tell that the car was dropped when you are riding inside. I have about a 2 finger gap between the tires and the wheel-well. I think you might like these.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JPTL-S
I just dropped my car using a set of H&R sport springs. The ride, of course, is stiffer but not unbearable. At times you can't even tell that the car was dropped when you are riding inside. I have about a 2 finger gap between the tires and the wheel-well. I think you might like these.
So, I understand that H&R is stiffer than stock(of course), but how much stiffer is it compare to stock? Do you think I can drink coffee out of a uncovered mug when driving? Only that comfort ride is what i expect. Not bouncing like cheap ricey civic.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:09 AM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by akinaboy
So, I understand that H&R is stiffer than stock(of course), but how much stiffer is it compare to stock? Do you think I can drink coffee out of a uncovered mug when driving? Only that comfort ride is what i expect. Not bouncing like cheap ricey civic.
I can say for sure that you definitley won't be bouncing like some ricey civic. I can assure you that you will definitley feel the road a little more than stock.....now about driving around with an uncovered mug of coffee, you might be able to get away with it given that it is not totally full I bought my springs after riding in my friend's TL-S which had been dropped on the same set of H&R sport springs. Initially I was hesitant in dropping my car for fear that my ride quality will suffer severely. But after riding in his car, I was sold. Like I said the car feels stiffer and a lot more planted, but the ride is still tolerable. I bought mine from Tirerack.com http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...ort+Spring+Set Here is some more info here http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/hr_comp_chart.jsp and here http://www.hrsprings.com/site/frames/frameproducts.html
I was definitely happy with my purchase. Please note that the installation instructions for Acuras suggest that the bumpstop not be cut. Also keep in mind that I am running OZ Antares 17X7 on a stock 215/15/50 profile this may be part of the reason that the ride still feels tolerable
Old 03-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JPTL-S
I can say for sure that you definitley won't be bouncing like some ricey civic. I can assure you that you will definitley feel the road a little more than stock.....now about driving around with an uncovered mug of coffee, you might be able to get away with it given that it is not totally full I bought my springs after riding in my friend's TL-S which had been dropped on the same set of H&R sport springs. Initially I was hesitant in dropping my car for fear that my ride quality will suffer severely. But after riding in his car, I was sold. Like I said the car feels stiffer and a lot more planted, but the ride is still tolerable. I bought mine from Tirerack.com http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...ort+Spring+Set Here is some more info here http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/hr_comp_chart.jsp and here http://www.hrsprings.com/site/frames/frameproducts.html
I was definitely happy with my purchase. Please note that the installation instructions for Acuras suggest that the bumpstop not be cut. Also keep in mind that I am running OZ Antares 17X7 on a stock 215/15/50 profile this may be part of the reason that the ride still feels tolerable

Thanks a lot!
Your statement makes me feel comfortable.
Got a set of brand new H&R springs part# 50103 for $175 shipped. Good deal?
Now, I will post reply with my result.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Racer

im planning to buy a set of the H&R sport springs with the 1.75 front drop and 1.5 rear sometime next month, but then was debating with myself wether to change the shocks aswell, because mine r going bad, Would it be best to go with new oem shocks and the h&r on top of that? Or Will aftermarket shocks be better off with aftermarket springs (h&r)?

Thanks in Advance.. Sorri to get off topic a little

H&RRRRRRR All the way
Old 03-01-2005, 11:31 AM
アキュラ 力

Thanks a lot!
Your statement makes me feel comfortable.
Got a set of brand new H&R springs part# 50103 for $175 shipped. Good deal?
Now, I will post reply with my result.
Definitely a good deal, I got mine for 199 + shipping.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:34 AM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by 4u2nv
im planning to buy a set of the H&R sport springs with the 1.75 front drop and 1.5 rear sometime next month, but then was debating with myself wether to change the shocks aswell, because mine r going bad, Would it be best to go with new oem shocks and the h&r on top of that? Or Will aftermarket shocks be better off with aftermarket springs (h&r)?

H&RRRRRRR All the way

I wish I could advise you on this, but I am still running stock shocks on my 03 TL-S. I heard it's better to upgrade though......can anyone comment on replacing shocks? Bump!
Old 03-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Banned

H&RRRRRRR All the way
If you feel that your shocks are going bad, you should replace shocks at the same time. which shocks? I always used tokico shocks on all my cars that I went through and i was happy with them. 5-6 different cars?
Old 03-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Racer

If you feel that your shocks are going bad, you should replace shocks at the same time. which shocks? I always used tokico shocks on all my cars that I went through and i was happy with them. 5-6 different cars?

im still on my factory. i have a 2000 tl purchased in 1999 with 46k miles on it, not to mention i do live in nyc so............... yea
Old 03-01-2005, 01:31 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

i have some h&R OE's for sale you can try those out they drop your car at aperfect height and the ride is just like stock.. i can let them go for cheapp... let me know
Old 03-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Boomer SOONER

im still on my factory. i have a 2000 tl purchased in 1999 with 46k miles on it, not to mention i do live in nyc so............... yea
your stock shocks should be going bad already...I have 84k on the original ones and the last 15k with the Comptech drop and they are still fine. But if you think yours are going out, go aftermarket because they can handle the drop much better than the stock ones.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Racer

your stock shocks should be going bad already...I have 84k on the original ones and the last 15k with the Comptech drop and they are still fine. But if you think yours are going out, go aftermarket because they can handle the drop much better than the stock ones.
hey thnx, this has been discussed b4, How can i tell if my shocks are ACTUALLY going bad...

What aftermarket shocks do u prefer?
Old 03-01-2005, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

Does Anybody Have Tein Springs On An 04tl
Old 03-01-2005, 10:01 PM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is there anythin to do about the rustin?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:19 AM
08 WDP TL-S

Well, right now, it is supposed to be 1.6 in F and 1.4 in rear, but I think they are lower than that. Tight two finger gab in front and tight one finger gab in rear with stock 17" type-s rims and tires. So, that is pretty low.
For comptech, the newer ones are lower than H&R sport springs, so I am thinking, H&R will be less stiff.
That's not really low......mine is even much lower than yours....i lowered at least 3 inches front and rear....since i put my Tein Basic Coilovers......and right now is no finger gap.....
Old 03-02-2005, 02:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bread-A Spec
That's not really low......mine is even much lower than yours....i lowered at least 3 inches front and rear....since i put my Tein Basic Coilovers......and right now is no finger gap.....
Well, I want to lower it more, but I will be scrapping everywhere on Chicago road.
bumps and ditches everywhere.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:25 AM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by yunginTL
is there anythin to do about the rustin?
I figgure if I can get them off the car, I can get them sandblasted or sand the hell out of them and get all the current paint and rust off, then repaint them with many coats of outdoor spray paint - the only trick is getting them off my car, I dont have the tools or money now

I would like to do this because I like this drop the best for my situation because it leaves the rear up slightly and with my stereo, it is perfectly level
Old 03-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Boomer SOONER

hey thnx, this has been discussed b4, How can i tell if my shocks are ACTUALLY going bad...

What aftermarket shocks do u prefer?
easy way to tell your shocks are shot are if you go over a speed bump...slowly your car should go over the bump and then dip down and level right out - when your shocks are bad, you will go over the bump and you will bounce a few times before you level back out. or you can push on the front or back and look for the same thing . When you see those old POS cars and their rear end is saging bad or the whole car looks like it has hydraulics because of it bouncing all around - their shocks are bad.

Dont have any personal information on new shocks for our cars - the only a/m shocks I have put on were Rancho's on my old truck...lol
Old 03-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Racer

easy way to tell your shocks are shot are if you go over a speed bump...slowly your car should go over the bump and then dip down and level right out - when your shocks are bad, you will go over the bump and you will bounce a few times before you level back out. or you can push on the front or back and look for the same thing . When you see those old POS cars and their rear end is saging bad or the whole car looks like it has hydraulics because of it bouncing all around - their shocks are bad.

Dont have any personal information on new shocks for our cars - the only a/m shocks I have put on were Rancho's on my old truck...lol

lol thanks for the info.. i wonder how many times i will bounce if i were to run over a sped bump at 60 mph
Old 03-02-2005, 06:08 PM
trill recognize trill

I figgure if I can get them off the car, I can get them sandblasted or sand the hell out of them and get all the current paint and rust off, then repaint them with many coats of outdoor spray paint - the only trick is getting them off my car, I dont have the tools or money now

I would like to do this because I like this drop the best for my situation because it leaves the rear up slightly and with my stereo, it is perfectly level
hmmm maybe my 2800 psi pressure washer just might come in handy haha
Old 03-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yunginTL
hmmm maybe my 2800 psi pressure washer just might come in handy haha
???
Old 03-02-2005, 08:26 PM
trill recognize trill

???