need quick coilover/springs/suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 04:53 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need quick coilover/springs/suspension help

i want to know briefly what i need to know about suspension.

my ride doesnt feel too comfortable (not as much as my moms avalong) and i expected more from a TL. maybe something is worn out. i dont know

i am planning to lower my car when i get student loans

id like to know what brand and what i should buy to drop it and give it a smooth comfortable ride. also how much should i drop it? i have no OEM kit. does front and rear drop need to be same? i notice ppl drop front more then lower. is that better?

guess this isnt so quick. but please help if u can. thank you.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:01 AM
B A N N E D

oh i dont need to run tracks or take corners at 40 miles. i just want a drop with a smooth luxury lexus feeling ride.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You will not get a more comfortable ride out of lowering it. If you want that maybe try replacing your shocks. there may be something wrong with yours. The TL is a fairly tight suspension and will not be as smoot as the avalon
Old 08-17-2006, 01:40 PM
B A N N E D

so do shocks lower the car? should i get OEM shocks are whats a good brand for a luxury ride?
Old 08-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

shocks dont lower it springs do.

As for luxury ride?? I dont know what your looking for and how your car rides, but you wont get it as smooth as a lexus or avalon. Our suspension set up is sport orientated. You cant buy softer shocks for our cars. I would bring it in to a shop and have them inspect your suspension to see if its worn out. If it is i would replace it with oem style shocks
Old 08-17-2006, 02:32 PM
B A N N E D

should i have acura inspect it? would it be free to check?

so i should most lieky get OEM shocks. then if i get lowering springs will i lose comfortability? or should it stay the same? what do u think the best springs are for price. and if springs dont put into comfort and only drop the car. can i go with like $40 dollar ebay ones.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Does acura inspect any thing for free?? unless you are under warranty, acura wont inspect for free.

By lowering it your ride will get more firm (in other words you will be going away from the luxury ride you want) It wont matter if you use oem shocks or not. You are reducing travel and spring rates are changed due to being lowered. I would stay away from the cheap springs. They arent all the same and you get what you pay for. H&R is the best and they arent that much. You can get teh H&R OE drop for a slight drop and still retain some of the oem ride.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:08 PM
B A N N E D

my mechanic told me changing them is bad. something breaking axle and all that

is that true? and only if you KNOW for sure.

and if i do go ahead with it. what type of H&R should i get?

i saw some tein springs with the title of luxury or something.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:52 AM
B A N N E D

anyone?
Old 08-21-2006, 07:43 AM
Low and Slow

If you lower your car the ride will get worse. It all depends on how much you lower. AS for your mechanic...I don't know what he's talking about, but I don't think anyone on here has had any issues like that that I've ever heard of. If you get H&Rs they have a srping called the OE Sport. It drops .75in in the frint and .75in in the back. When the springs settle it should lower 1 full inch all the way around. If you replace the springs you should definitely replace shocks, and most people go after market, because they will wear out the OEM shock faster because the OEM shock wasn't built to be lowered on. Anyway, good luck and hopefully this helps. Thanks for the help Kris, I think with all of this together it will help him.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:47 PM
B A N N E D

yo vzuptnguyen hit me up. did u ever get ur tint? i tried 2 send u a pm but it said ur not recieving pms?? get at me on AIM: VeEzyV5
Old 08-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by ryebreadisme
If you lower your car the ride will get worse. It all depends on how much you lower. AS for your mechanic...I don't know what he's talking about, but I don't think anyone on here has had any issues like that that I've ever heard of. If you get H&Rs they have a srping called the OE Sport. It drops .75in in the frint and .75in in the back. When the springs settle it should lower 1 full inch all the way around. If you replace the springs you should definitely replace shocks, and most people go after market, because they will wear out the OEM shock faster because the OEM shock wasn't built to be lowered on. Anyway, good luck and hopefully this helps. Thanks for the help Kris, I think with all of this together it will help him.

Well, that is not technically true. The ride will only get worse if you are looking for a smooth ride. Better to say, "the ride will get firmer if you lower the car."

There are issues with axles wearing our when the car is lowered a lot, but usually you need to slam the crap out of it and it takes a while for the wear to maifest. For us, 0-2" drops are not going to hurt anything.

For a smooth ride, you want to look at the Tein CS. They are not available for these cars, but you can get them for TSX. I know we can put TSX suspension on the 3g TL...perhaps the TSX suspension can be retrofitted to the UA5? The CS is the only system I know of that actually is designed to smooth out and make the ride softer.

Marcus
Old 08-31-2006, 02:32 PM
8th Gear

so we dont need to replace the shocks if we only lower the 2g 1-2 inches
Old 08-31-2006, 02:34 PM
8th Gear

cuz i know we need a camber kit for the rear if we drop the ride