Michelin Primacy MXV4 or Nokian WRG2

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin Primacy MXV4 or Nokian WRG2

Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me choose a new "all season" tire. I am deciding between the Michelin Primacy and the NokienWR-G2.

I have and 2003 Acura TL-Type-S and live at a higher elevation in Massachusetts where I get alot of snow... so snow and ice handeling if paramount for me. I don't want to spend the extra money for dedicated winter tires.

My eyes are glazing over from all the reviews of both of these choices. Does anyone have real "snow" experience with either of these tires and which is a better choice? Handlinge, treadlife, noise?

I have Yokohamas on now which were suppose to be good in the snow (at least that is what the reviews said) and they are like a driving in a skating rink....help I need tires soon..

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by Snappigirl
Hi everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me choose a new "all season" tire. I am deciding between the Michelin Primacy and the NokienWR-G2.

I have and 2003 Acura TL-Type-S and live at a higher elevation in Massachusetts where I get alot of snow... so snow and ice handeling if paramount for me. I don't want to spend the extra money for dedicated winter tires.

My eyes are glazing over from all the reviews of both of these choices. Does anyone have real "snow" experience with either of these tires and which is a better choice? Handlinge, treadlife, noise?

I have Yokohamas on now which were suppose to be good in the snow (at least that is what the reviews said) and they are like a driving in a skating rink....help I need tires soon..

Thanks in advance!!!
Welcome to the forums. I sent you a Private Message, so please watch for it.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:53 AM
2000 TL Black on Beige

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Michelin Primacy

Originally Posted by Snappigirl
Hi everyone,

The last time I considered tires, I spend countless hours poring over reviews and statistics, and ended up with the Primacy.
That was for my Volvo 850 Turbo. The tires were, as expected, pretty quiet. I did 65,000 miles on them, and still had 5/32" on the treads.

When my gifted Acura needs tires, perhaps in the autumn, I plan on going with the same V-rated Michelin.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:10 AM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
i have Energy mxv4's and they suck

im not sure whats different about the Primacy mxv4's, the tread pattern is very much the same. i think they have more silicon content in the rubber possibly.

my next tire might be goodyear assurance triple tread, my Energy mxv4's are terrible tires.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 AM
2003 TL-p

after researching some more these primacy mxv4's get some pretty good reviews, even for snow traction. but i also like goodyear assurance triple tread too.

its hard for me to buy another michielin after having these terrible energy mxv4+'s, but i might consider these Primacy mxv4's. the tread pattern looks better then the energy pattern.

anyone using Primacy Mxv4's Mxm4's or what ever they are called??
Old 05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ honestly, i went with the tripletread and hated it, hopefully u wont use it for winter because its horrible, i spun out on them on a turn, straight/out from a dig is fine...wet weather its ok but bad on corner, dry is fine for regular daily driving, but for the price of what they are here in canada i regret buying them....got them when they first hit the shelfs few years back
Old 05-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MurdaZ
^^ honestly, i went with the tripletread and hated it, hopefully u wont use it for winter because its horrible, i spun out on them on a turn, straight/out from a dig is fine...wet weather its ok but bad on corner, dry is fine for regular daily driving, but for the price of what they are here in canada i regret buying them....got them when they first hit the shelfs few years back
I've had somewhat the opposite experience with these tires. Got them a couple years ago, and have found them to be a huge upgrade to the previous tires that originally came with the car. Keep in mind, though, I don't push them to any sort of limits (and the snow over here couldn't be half as bad as what you get in Toronto... although we had a huge dump back in 2008).

I found that there was much less squeal when punching it from stop, and I've experienced much better traction in wet weather. They're also rated for over 100,000kms which you may or may not care about.

The one bad thing that stuck out to me at first was the road noise seemed to increase noticeably. It seemed to get better after a couple months, but that may be just me getting used to it...
Old 05-06-2010, 08:19 PM
2003 TL-p

Originally Posted by MurdaZ
yea iv either read really good reviews on them or really bad reviews. maybe these primacy mxv4s are pretty good. and i do need a tire thats good in the snow, yet i dont live in a place that requires a winter tire. i need a tire thats also good in the rain and has good dry traction. there is not a good selection to choose from for 205/60/16 stock tl-p wheels.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 PM
2000 TL Black on Beige

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Autumn has come . . .

Yes, the weather has changed, and new tires are on the car.

Michelin Primacys, 205/60/16 V, with nitrogen [Costco] $637 OTD.

Wow, what a beautifully smooth, quiet ride. It feels like the steering has been rebuilt!

I have not driven aggressively yet; I want the tires pumped up another couple pounds.
Costco set them at 32#, and I'm thinking 34# might be better.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Michelin Primacy MXV4's on my 2002 TL-P and they are an outstanding all-season premium-touring tire, IMO they are the best premium-touring tire on the market. They are a little pricey compared to the competition but you get what you pay for. They are virtually silent on the road, they give a very smooth, comfortable, and refined ride and they also handle very well along with a solid treadlife rating. Traction is also quite solid even in rain and snow. They are simply a perfect blend of comfort and performance.

As far as the older Michelin Energy MXV4s I had them on TL before getting the Primacy MXV4s and the Primacys are far superior in every possible way over the Energys. The Energys were never rated well especially given the expensive pricetag, the Primacys are pricey but at least you're getting the best premium-touring tire out there for that extra money. Going from the Energy to the Primacy MXV4's was like a night and day difference, it made my TL ride, steer, and handle so much better. The Energy MXV4s were noisy and harsh-riding compared to the Primacys.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The primacys are an excellent tire. Quiet and a great ride, and they last forever.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
^x2 ... if they werent so expensive i would have got them when the oem equipped ones wore out
Old 11-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
My parents 03 just got its 3rd set of primacys. I had the Michellin Pilots HXM4 and I thought they were pretty good, however this week I got the Hankook Ventus v12's and thus far I like them better than the pilots. They ride a lot nicer and grip seems to be better.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 PM
2003 TL-p

ditched my Energy MXV4s for Goodyear Eagle Gt's. gt's are awesome tires. couldnt be happier. much sportier tire, firmer, better grip, excellent wet weather.