Michelin pilot super sports overkill for 2G?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017 | 11:34 AM
Racer

Michelin pilot super sports overkill for 2G?

I need a good set of dedicated summer tires for when I put 3G TL-P rims on next year and after reading reviews the Pilot Super sports are always ranked the highest.

But I'm just wondering if these tires are overkill for a 2000 TL-P or if it's a good idea to spend the extra on these premium summer tires. This is my daily but I do drive in a spirited fashion and I want to make sure the car handles as best as it can.
Unless you guys recommend a different set of tires that suit the 2000 TL's capabilities.

Current mods on the car are an AEM V2 intake and Eibach sway bars.
Old 08-25-2017 | 11:40 AM

you can never have TOO much tire! (unless you're winter driving in snow)

i fuggin rock summers all year long here in Houston, Texas!!!
summer tires help with braking and cornering!!! you will stop better with summer tires on!( except when temps fall below 40 degrees)

so its not just beneficial for super high powered cars. it's beneficial for EVERYONE! although, they are cost prohibitive and wear pretty quickly, thus why the general population just wears all seasons (cuz it's cheap and they last a long time)
Old 08-25-2017 | 12:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
you can never have TOO much tire! (unless you're winter driving in snow)

i fuggin rock summers all year long here in Houston, Texas!!!
summer tires help with braking and cornering!!! you will stop better with summer tires on!( except when temps fall below 40 degrees)

so its not just beneficial for super high powered cars. it's beneficial for EVERYONE! although, they are cost prohibitive and wear pretty quickly, thus why the general population just wears all seasons (cuz it's cheap and they last a long time)
Sounds good! I don't drive far at all only 7km from home to work on average so wear isn't a huge factor for me. I'm just tired of paying my tire guy $50 twice a year to swap my winters in and out lol. I much rather have dedicated summers and winters on their own rims. So other than the Super Sports any other tire you guys recommend?
Old 12-04-2017 | 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

I have the Pilot Super Sports on my G37 coupe. They are a million times better than the OEM Bridgestone R050A in almost every way (wear, performance, ride, lower road noise, etc).

Overkill? Nah!

You should buy the 'best' tires on your car that you can afford. And yes -- dedicated winters on dedicated rims with a dedicated set for summers ... the best way to run.

If you don't want to shell out so much $$$ on the Super Sports, consider: Continental Contact Extreme DWS, Pirelli P Zero Nero GT, Hankook Ventus V12, Kumho Ecsta PS31.

All depends on your driving style / ride smoothness / handling...

Good luck.
- derrick
Old 12-05-2017 | 10:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by derrick
I have the Pilot Super Sports on my G37 coupe. They are a million times better than the OEM Bridgestone R050A in almost every way (wear, performance, ride, lower road noise, etc).

Overkill? Nah!

You should buy the 'best' tires on your car that you can afford. And yes -- dedicated winters on dedicated rims with a dedicated set for summers ... the best way to run.

If you don't want to shell out so much $$$ on the Super Sports, consider: Continental Contact Extreme DWS, Pirelli P Zero Nero GT, Hankook Ventus V12, Kumho Ecsta PS31.

All depends on your driving style / ride smoothness / handling...

Good luck.
- derrick
Thanks for your input! So far I'm still leaning towards the Supersports come summer time I just wanted to see other people's opinions if it was worth it on my fwd 225hp TL-p since it's completely worth it on your 330hp Rwd G37 😂
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (12-05-2017)