Lowering a car correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering a car correctly?

Hi everyone!!! I just purchased a 2003 Acura TL Type-s and I was interested in lowering it. I have been reading post about getting new shocks when putting on lowering springs, but I was curious about a camber kit......I have no experience with lowering any vehicles but would it be best for me to get new shocks, lowering springs and a camber kit. Im just asking so I can do it right the fist time with out something going wrong because I forgot to buy something that I needed for the lowering process. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:49 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This site is a great resource for information. Use the search function and there are hundreds of posts on this topic. My advice is to decide whether you want to go with just springs and stock shocks, new springs and new shocks or a coil-over system where the strut and spring are together and adjustable for height and performance.

If you are just looking to lower the car, go with H&R Sports #50103. I have this on my TL and I love them. I am on my stock struts still after 40K miles and no problems. If your vehicle is a little older, you may want to get new struts put in when you get the springs installed. The labor is already calculated since the struts have to be removed to get new springs on.

I can only speak to my setup, but I paid $125 to have a local tuner shop install my springs (they do it all the time). You will notice less ride quality but it's not a big deal to me. My Type S never rode like a Lexus anyway, so I can feel it is more sporty and very responsive now with my HR SPorts. You don't have to spend a fortune to hook up your ride. Just do your homework via this forum and take your time to get what you truly want. Good luck!