installed tanabe springs/tokico blue struts

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005 | 09:31 PM
Boomer SOONER

installed tanabe springs/tokico blue struts

Mods - can move this if you want but not many people go to the tire/suspension section and I thought people would like to hear about my setup.

anyway, I used to have the old (gray) Comptech springs with stock struts. It was ok but the springs were rusting to hell and the struts were getting old (97k miles).
I used the instructions from the CL site, and they were very good. I would say it took me and my father in law about 3.5 hours to get it done. We had one set back, and without that, we could have done it all in less than 3 hours for sure.

I dont know of anyone with Tanabe springs, but I am VERY happy with them. I got the NF210 springs. They are supposed to be close to stock feel but still lower with some more firmness. http://www.tanabe-usa.com/springs/

I like them because they are about the same lowering as the older Comptech springs but slightly smoother, and along with the Tokico blue struts, the car feels like new. It takes bumps so much better and waves in the highway are absorbed naturally. My old setup just felt wrong with some bumps. It would be way to stiff or not near stiff enough sometimes and I would nearly bottom out way to easily. I also had some "clunk" noise from the right rear spring area, and that is gone now.

I think the tokico struts are a very good replacement of stock ones if someone is lowered slightly or not at all. I didnt get the Illuminas because I knew I wouldnt ever care about adjusting them and the blues feel just right anyway.

I will try to post pictures if anyone wants (the springs havent settled yet though).
Old 12-11-2005 | 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

sounds like a good setup. all that matters is that you like them.

i have the tein basics. love them so far. (although they are a bitch to raise and lower sometimes)
Old 12-12-2005 | 09:42 PM
TL Q(

my illuminas will arrive tomorrow....so excited! ima bring my ride up to Dodgers Stadium early morning to test it out after the install! never realized power sliding ya car would b so fun after i drove my buddie's SI up at Dodgers! lol....i almost roll down the hill on my first try!
Old 12-13-2005 | 12:00 AM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by wmah523
my illuminas will arrive tomorrow....so excited! ima bring my ride up to Dodgers Stadium early morning to test it out after the install! never realized power sliding ya car would b so fun after i drove my buddie's SI up at Dodgers! lol....i almost roll down the hill on my first try!
power sliding...ok I guess, but anyway, you really wont tell much of a difference if you just add new struts - do you have lowering springs?
Old 12-13-2005 | 12:07 PM
TL Q(

2 sets sittin quietly, Eibach Pro/H&R!
Old 12-13-2005 | 03:20 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by wmah523
2 sets sittin quietly, Eibach Pro/H&R!
then you should like the setup - I wouldnt think you should "power slide" our cars unless you really beef up the entire suspension - not the right kind of car at all.
Old 12-13-2005 | 03:30 PM
Not Asian

I believe the main difference in ride quality is the Tokico HPs. I have them with Tein H-techs.
Old 12-13-2005 | 03:36 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by phipark
I believe the main difference in ride quality is the Tokico HPs. I have them with Tein H-techs.
most likely because my stock struts were in bad shape (hard to really tell till you put new ones on). the springs I have are supposed to ride close to stock because of their spring rate is just slightly above the stock rate. Tanabe has another set of springs with the same lowering but much higher spring rate for a much stiffer ride. Mine may be similar to the H-techs, I dont know though.
Old 12-14-2005 | 08:26 PM
My baby's daddy

ou, that sounds sweet. Post some pics. I have a clunk from my right rear area as well... ah, the trunk of the car to be specific...

I was thinking about asking y'all if that was common. I plan to tell the dealer about it at the next oil change. There's also a clunk in front that may be a motor mount.

I haven't put my stereo from my 99 in my 02 yet. My 99 sat a little low in back with the sub and amps. Is it possible to get a slightly, 1" maybe, higher rear spring?
Old 12-15-2005 | 01:37 AM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by Rusky
ou, that sounds sweet. Post some pics. I have a clunk from my right rear area as well... ah, the trunk of the car to be specific...

I was thinking about asking y'all if that was common. I plan to tell the dealer about it at the next oil change. There's also a clunk in front that may be a motor mount.

I haven't put my stereo from my 99 in my 02 yet. My 99 sat a little low in back with the sub and amps. Is it possible to get a slightly, 1" maybe, higher rear spring?
with the springs I have it is nearly even - though my system isnt real heavy. That clunk could be many things. It turns out that when I put on my new springs/struts, the clunk I once had must have been caused by my rusted Comptech springs/no rubber sleave on that spring/struts going bad or a combination of those. There isnt much down there to make noise in the first place, and everything was tight when I took it off. And no, that noise isnt supposed to be there; its only common if something is wrong or not lined up properly. im sure the dealer will look at you with a blank face also.

you can always check your sway bar bolts - the end links specifically. They should be very tight - I was going to take off my front sway to install the struts, but I didnt need too and I backed the end link bolt maybe 1/2 turn. Well that was all it took to have a nasty clunk noise from the front right when I turned or when over a small bump. That was a easy fix though.

PM me if you want me to help out any more