impressions: Koni Yellows + Tein H.tech springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 06:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
impressions: Koni Yellows + Tein H.tech springs

Well,

A board member asked me about how my setup has been. I've been on it since April 2005 so a couple of months and a couple thousand kilometers later, I have a few impressions.

Here's the questions he asked me:
1) Do you get any rubbing now with the Tein H.tech springs/Koni shocks?

I have a couple of times with the new setup ... I have the Konis set at only 1/2 a turn at the back (more turns = stiffer ride). The rims I have are 18x7.5" and +48 offset ... there's about 2.5cm gap between rim and rear wheel wells. The car is flat -- more wheel gap in the front than the back with H.tech springs. I should trim part of the fender tab and that will eliminate the rubbing. I only rub on the rear driver's tire.

2) How do you like it?

I like the setup. It's a nice compromise with looks and handling. As bumpy as Comptech + OEM shocks, believe it or not. If I wanted better handling, I would have gone with Tein SS coilovers. H&R sport springs + Tokico Illuminas would have been another option. I haven't scraped the front lip with the Tein springs on steep driveways (yet).

3) You have nice Volk wheels! lol, I was thinking about getting them myself also; I do know they are lighter than stock TL/s wheels. How do you like them? like in terms of faster acceleration, better braking, cornering and handling, ride quality, etc...

The rim is most likely lighter than the 17" OEM rims. When I swapped winter/summer tires, the winter setup (OEM 17" rim + Nokian WR 205/50/17) were lighter than my summers (Volks + 235/40/18 Toyo Proxies4). The Proxies4 aren't the lightest tire out there. Wider tires do wonders with handling AT THE EXPENSE of noise and possibly fuel consumption (minor). You're going to feel more bumps with wider tires. Dry handling is greatly improved ... just be careful when it's really wet out (when the tires have lost a lot of tread). Braking -- I really don't drive that hard so I can't really comment on that. Acceleration -- again, I don't really notice a difference since I don't drive that hard. I'm more interested in handling since I figure 260 HP at the crank is more than enough for a FWD car.

----

Aside: I'm starting to hear a couple of squeaks in the back, especially up driveways. I think it's the sway bar endlinks may need greasing. Next time I go for servicing, I'll have them check it out.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:20 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
so you think the ride is similar as the Comptech + OEM struts? That is exactly what I have now and the ride is fine, but I will need new struts sometime soon. I may get the Illuminas to save some $$$. Is the drop with the Tein springs similar to the Comptechs? (silver ones)
Old 06-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice review for the other members to see Derrick! Feedback for others to open their options and hopefully make the right decisions
Old 06-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ou sig
so you think the ride is similar as the Comptech + OEM struts? \Is the drop with the Tein springs similar to the Comptechs? (silver ones)
I think you have TL-P struts, right? I would imagine the TL-P struts are engineered more for comfort than sport. I was using Type-S struts (since I have a Type-S) so the move from OEM struts to Koni Yellows was a minor increase in stiffness. I would imagine the TL-P struts to Koni Yellows would be a signficiant increase in bumpiness.

Tein H-tech springs give you a non-raked look which would cause the front wheel well gap to be greater than the rear wheel well. You can see it clearly (I'll take pics tomorrow after I wash & zaino). The rears are the same as the Comptechs (2 fingergaps = 2.5cm = 1") but the front has more. IMHO, the Tein springs are as close to the Comptech drop in height as you can find. There are Tein S-tech springs which are closer to the H&R sports drop.

I would recommend to get Tokico Illuminas VS Koni Yellows if you're more budget conscious and don't need go to the track. I went with Koni Yellows since my car is a business expense and I like the 'lifetime warranty' it carries (VS 5 yr warranty with Tokico).

I'll report the handling progress when I rack up more miles on the car. I can't believe I'm almost at 100k km (~ 60,000 miles).
Old 06-18-2005, 10:37 PM
"Here Come The Bulls!"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great info. Derrick. You were very helpful when we last met as well. Awaiting coilovers now - TEIN SS.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Boomer SOONER

thanks for the reply...ya you are right on the stock strut thing...that is very true because when I ride in my friends CLS (stock) it is quite a bit rougher than even my setup with the Comptech springs - I guess the Type S struts are quite a bit stiffer than the TLP ones. You said you have it about 1/2 turn up on the stiffness...did you try it on the softest setting? I wonder how that would compare to TLP struts.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ou sig
You said you have it about 1/2 turn up on the stiffness...did you try it on the softest setting?
My current setup for the Konis:

front shocks: 0 turns (softest setting)
rear shocks: 1/2 turn

I have a very conservative setup. Originally, I just wanted to break-in the shocks and would eventually stiffen them up if I wanted to. I'm going to stiffen up the fronts to 1/2 turn so the car is even. From what I remember, the Konis can go 2 full turns (max stiffness). I seriously doubt I'm going to go that far!

Bottomline: Konis at 0 turns = a little more stiff than OEM Type-S shocks

----

Hey 99 SSM TL,

Tell me when you get the Teins and tell me how much you like them! Pure Adrenaline has 'em and he likes how the EDFC works ...
Old 06-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Boomer SOONER

wow...Im glad I didnt get the Koni struts then - I know they are great quality, but I really dont want a much stiffer ride than I currently have.

Do you know how the Tokico Illuminas compare on their softest setting?
Old 06-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Illuminas are definitely softer than Konis at their softest setting. Go with those, ou sig
Old 06-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by derrick
Illuminas are definitely softer than Konis at their softest setting. Go with those, ou sig
thanks...sounds like I know my next purchase
Old 06-28-2005, 12:08 AM
Racer

How much did you pay for the springs? in CDN

Any camber issues?

What was the mileage after you decided to change shocks & springs?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

How much did you pay for the springs? in CDN

Any camber issues?

What was the mileage after you decided to change shocks & springs?
1) Got them as replacements when my silver powdercoated Comptech springs started rusting. So cost = C$0. (Comptech springs cost me ~ C$350, I think)

2) No worries of camber. Only a 1.5-1.75" drop. Only when you go > 2" drop, then you might have to worry about camber issues.

3) I think I had them for about 40,000km when my Comptechs started majorly rusting. It was before the 2 yr warranty ended so I wanted new springs. I had my OEM Type-S springs for 60,000km (or thereabouts).

As for shocks, I replaced OEM shocks when I put on the H.tech springs @ 84,000km. Have about 7000km on the Koni yellows dialed in a 1/2 turn all around. I like the overall ride. Definitely stiffer than OEM but comfortable. Only pet peeve with the setup is the rubbing I get when there are people in the back. Need to trim the rear driver's side tabs.

Have OEM springs + shocks in my garage in case I sell my car and part my car out.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Racer

I have 60,000 KM, not sure if replacing shocks would be a good idea, yet

I thought 18x7.5 with +48 offset would not rub.

I have 19x8 with +57 offset, I guess, it should not rub with H-Techs