how much better do sway bars improve handling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Team ABP member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
It's set up to reduce understeer (read more oversteer), so the car would be more prone to spinning out in the snow. But as long as you're careful, you'll be okay.

Thats what I thought. And kinda turned me away from getting them. Maybe if I get a beater car I will re-consider.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by sxlova07
Thats what I thought. And kinda turned me away from getting them. Maybe if I get a beater car I will re-consider.
Dude, I live in Michigan and I drive my car all year-round. As long as you're careful, it's all good.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't care how stiff the back is with sways ... your car is FWD ... the likelihood of you having oversteer ... highly unlikely so as long as you're not an idiot on icy roads. But the feel of new CT springs + CT sways VS OEM setup ... night and day difference. I couldn't believe it when I had them installed on my car.

I'm used to them now and I feel it still floats. I wonder what it would be like if I drove a stock set up now. (That would be scary ...)
Old 03-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by sxlova07
The odds of having enough grip at teh front wheels in the snow to make the sways actually do their job is slim to none! Dont worry about it. Its not like its going to make the car dangerous and harder to drive in the winter
Old 03-02-2006, 03:20 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
The wall is thicker, even though the outer diameter is the same.

You don't drive your car that hard, do you?? 30 seconds after I installed my CT sway bars, I was out taking turns at 70 mph. A BIG improvement.

I thought about switching to Eibach, because it's 1mm thicker in the rear which favors more oversteer, but I love the way my car rotates on the track. I'm going to experiment with the stock front sway bar and see if I can induce slightly more oversteer because it's always more fun that way.

But yeah, I guess I should add that if you don't take turns hard, then you probably won't notice the improvement. The REAL improvement is only evident when you're going deep into a corner at a fast pace and try to get a feel for the body roll, or lack thereof.
Holy back from the dead, but I have noticed if I make an honest effort by breaking super late and trying to "snap" the car around a tight corner I will experience some scary oversteer. Getting on the trottle with the majority of the weight on the front tires in a tight corner will make the car pull tighter with the Eibach Strut Bars. If you drive semi aggressive GO with the Strut Bars first. I wish I would have tried the Comptechs because they would create a chassis that wouldn't be as tight. I do have the Eibach AV6 Strut Tower Bar and it definatly created a much tighter chassis in combination with the AV6 "mini" STB supports. Fun but I wish I would have just invested in the Comptech Titanium STB. That would have been fun. If anyone didn't know this already... I guess now we know!
Old 03-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Team ABP member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The odds of having enough grip at teh front wheels in the snow to make the sways actually do their job is slim to none! Dont worry about it. Its not like its going to make the car dangerous and harder to drive in the winter
Ahh I see...ummm guess I will lookin get some sways than. So from what I am reading the rears sways are the ones are more benefical, if I had to the the front or rear?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you have a 2g i think they all come in sets,Only the 3rd gen doesn't need the front