Hankook Ventus V2 Concept Tire Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014 | 09:41 PM
Instructor

Hankook Ventus V2 Concept Tire Review

These are NOT the H437s, although I don't know the difference between the 2. Specs are the same. These are less expensive, bought them at Big O tires for about $93/each, mounting, balancing, road hazard warranty were extra. Standard size, 215-50-17.

I had been running Yokahama Avid Envigors, but got tired of them wearing out in 30 to 40k miles, so figured I'd try something new and these looked good and the price was nearly $50 less per tire than the Yokahamas. So far (1 day of driving), they seem quiet and smooth and the sidewall seems about as stiff as the Yokahamas, which I was concerned about. Had a set of Summitomos a wile back and hated them due to a too soft side wall.

I'm planning a trip up to the mountains for some skiing next weekend. This may give me a chance to see how they do on roads that aren't completely dry, although I don't expect any significant snow. I'll be updating this as I gather more information.
Old 01-19-2014 | 03:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, keep us posted. Too bad that ya were disappointed with the Yokahama's !
Some performance tires don't yield the best wear, but 30-40k is good in my book.

Beware of the bargain priced tires as they may end up doing worse down the road.
I've had exceptionally good luck with the mid range Cooper's on my TL.
Old 01-19-2014 | 07:52 AM
Instructor

I do a fair amount of driving (~20k/yr) so going through a set of tires in less than 2 years kinda sucked. These got pretty good reviews from what I read, so I figured I'd give them a shot.

Other than the Yokahama YK580s, I didn't see anyone speaking highly of other tires. I had tried the YK520s (pretty sure that was the number) a while back and didn't like them. I've used the Avid V4S and Envigors for 3 sets of tires with the Summitomos in between the V4S and Envigors. With 220k on the car, looking for something to take me a few more miles than what I was getting.
Old 01-21-2014 | 09:53 AM
Instructor

A final "early" update on these tires. With about 125 miles on them, I had the opportunity to press them a bit in a 90 degree, relatively steady radious right-turn (this was part of a clover-leaf). The tires set and stuck, no tire squeel at about 7 or 8/10ths. They felt stable, not greasy (surprising with so few miles on them). I don't think I'll press them beyond this, so if they stay feeling this way for most of their lives and handle the wet and snow reasonably enough, I'll be quite happy.

As my son has borrowed the car this week and will be commuting about 140-150 miles/day, they should be reasonably broken in by the next time I drive it. I probably won't report anything more until I get to about 5k miles on them (unless there's something significant I need to say).
Old 01-28-2014 | 10:07 AM
Instructor

A quick update. We had a bit of snow today (2" or so). The roads were packed down with the snow, so the only heavy snow (if you can call 2" heavy) I had to drive through was on my driveway, almost an eith of a mile long. No issues there, the tires were fine.

Acceleration and breaking seemed fine, what I would expect of all season tires. As the snow was packed don the streets and the temperatures were near 0, the roads were a bit slick. Turns were a bit slippery. I expected slightly better grip, based on the acceleration and breaking results. The tires have about 1,000 miles on them, so they should be pretty well broken in.

I'll continue to update this as I experience different weather types and road conditions. As of now, I'm satsified with the performance of the tires, especially at the price paid. We'll see how they wear, but if I get 40k miles or better from them I'll be extremely satisfied.
Old 01-28-2014 | 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 03TLSinCO
I do a fair amount of driving (~20k/yr) so going through a set of tires in less than 2 years kinda sucked. These got pretty good reviews from what I read, so I figured I'd give them a shot.
I put on average 50k yr on. Try having to replace your tires every year. And by year i mean i every April/end of April i have new tires installed put them on and take them off in November when they are typically bald and put snow tires on for the winter months.
Old 01-28-2014 | 01:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I put on average 50k yr on. Try having to replace your tires every year. And by year i mean i every April/end of April i have new tires installed put them on and take them off in November when they are typically bald and put snow tires on for the winter months.
Crazy. I'd hate to be doing that. I have other things I'd much rather spend my money on.
Old 02-05-2014 | 11:17 AM
Instructor

This winter has me thinking about snow tires. We've had unusually cold weather in southern CO and the snow has stuck around for almost 2 weeks now. These tires are certainly no better than my previous Yokahamas on slick surfaces, perhaps a bit worse on acceleration while (somehow) a bit better when braking.

During my previous winters here, we'd get a day of snow then sunshine and the roads would be completely clear in a day or 2. Not so this winter and I'm not enjoying these tires in these conditions. Hopefully they'll be fine when the roads dry up and all the ice melts away.
Old 04-15-2014 | 02:46 PM
Instructor

Update on these tires:

I noticed a tag on the sidewall that says "H437". Hmmmm, not sure why Big O Tires had these listed at a significantly lower price than the ones they list on their site as H437 (these weren't listed as them, so maybe it was a mistake on their part somewhere along the line).

I've got over 6k miles on them now. They ride fine and the sidewalls seem stiff enough (I have them filled to 36PSI all around). In hard-packed snow, they were passable at best. I've been in heavier, slushy snow and they've been much better. Rainy season is coming up in CO soon, so I'll report back after some driving in heavy rain, but I expect them to be fine based on what I've experienced with them so far. Wear has been insignificant at this point.

Based on my experience so far, I'd buy these again, but I'm reserving final judgement untill I reach about 25k miles.
Old 06-12-2014 | 05:03 PM
Instructor

Updating at 10,000 miles. Final got some rain recently in sunny Southern Colorado so I had a chance to see how these tires performed in standing water. No hydroplaning detected at all on the highways. We've also had some damp, slightly wet (but no standing water) on the roads in the morning. Under hard acceleration and braking, they've gripped well. Turning hasn't been an issue either.

So far, tire wear is minimal; I expect to get at least 50k from these tires. Will probably update this again in another 10k miles. Outside of winter traction (disappointing), I like the tires.
Old 06-12-2014 | 06:11 PM

What you didn't like about the YK520s? Im using the newer YK580 and the Thread Life is outstanding.. The only real Con is that they don't like to corner fast (No high thread life tire likes to though) but other than that? Rain, Sand in Road they handle perfectly fine and pretty quiet too.

The only Hankook tire I Tried was one of those Summer Performance Ventus V12? and it was LOUD so Loud I had to return the tires (I buy in sets of 2 or 4 not individuals) because I could not listen to the radio with less than half volume.
Old 06-17-2014 | 11:42 AM
Instructor

I didn't care for the handling of the YK520s (found it a bit soft, perhaps a bit more tire pressure would have helped) and the life of the tire wasn't what I expected.

Regarding the Hankooks, these tires are very quiet. I have not complaints there. As I said, the only complaints I do have is hard packed snow, especially in corners. They weren't confidence-inspiring when traveling up curved mountain roads, as I could feel them slipping and the tourque-steer would drag me towards the snow banks. I felt that if I had to come to a complete stop on some of the roads I was one, I wouldn't have been able to get going again. Guess I simply need true winter tires if I decide to take this car on ski trips next winter.
Old 08-14-2015 | 02:15 PM
Instructor

Closing this out. I put just a bit over 30k miles on these and started having issues with flats (ran over some nails, about 3 or 4 different times) and finally hit a bad pothole that caused a bubble in the sidewall. The tires were down to about 3/32, so they were about done.

As they aged, they definitely got nosier, but despite the tread wear, they still performed reasonably well in the rain.

I've since replaced these with Nitto Motivos on 2007 TL wheels, so their a new size as well, 235-45-17. I'll post my impressions in the thread already started for those.