Grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding noise

Hi all,
I have 03 TL. I'm getting this strange grinding noise from my front passanger side wheel. Its there all the time at all the speeds. I took it to the dealer. After 3 hour wait, he says its probably the rust. There's nothing he could do. Its should go away after some highways driving. I know he's wrong cause my car does not sit anytime. I almost drive everyday and we take trips on the highway every weekend. The noise has been there for almost 6 months. I think the rotors were resurfaced once under warranty. No problem while braking but this nose is just irritating especially in the summer when we drive with the windows down.
Any suggestions??
Old 06-19-2004, 02:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the noise intensify or reduce while on the brakes? I'm going to assume the rust is on the rotors right? The rust would be scrbbed off after a few moderate stops so I can't see how it's the rust on the rotors. Might be the brake carrier misaligned and rubbing the rotor or the brake (dust) shield. Jack up the front, put the car in neutral and spin the wheel to try and find the source of the noise. Make sure you use safety stands.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lawaia
Does the noise intensify or reduce while on the brakes? I'm going to assume the rust is on the rotors right? The rust would be scrbbed off after a few moderate stops so I can't see how it's the rust on the rotors. Might be the brake carrier misaligned and rubbing the rotor or the brake (dust) shield. Jack up the front, put the car in neutral and spin the wheel to try and find the source of the noise. Make sure you use safety stands.
The noise stay same, I think. I don't think its rust. I'll try to locate the problem today. thx
Old 06-23-2004, 12:48 AM
Cruisin'

Some Brake Pads Have A Tiny Metal Tab That Sticks Out Like A Rotor Safety).
When Your Pads Wear Down To A Certain Point The Tab Creates A Noise When It Hits The Rotor.
If Your Pads Are Not Worn Down, Maybe The Pads Are In Backwards (on The Wrong Side Of The Rotor. Only One Of The Two Pads On A Brake Caliper Contain The Tab.
If Thats The Prob You Can Switch The Pads Which Will Take Forever Or You Can Clip The Tab Off.

Regards, Chef Cidney
Old 07-19-2004, 06:06 PM
Cruisin'

check for rocks/pebbles caught in the calipers

had this happen to me once...
Old 07-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

i'd try checking your wheel bearings too
Old 07-24-2004, 03:26 PM
Racer

Something like this happened to a friends explorer. Turned out the camber was way off and chewed up the inside of the tire to the steel braiding!! You thought they were new tires if you looked at them head on from the outside.

Also had a similar event in my Taurus. It was a siezed brake caliper. The pistons or rods that both halves of the caliper ride on were rusted and stuck. Thus the brake was "always on" but enough not to drag the car too much. It wouldnt let you stop well either - since it was stuck, it wouldnt squeeze properly or release properly. I only noticed it when I tried to inviestigate the problem.

Or it could be the ball, or roller bearings (CV joint if in FWD) failing. Rare, but have seen that happen in my and my parent's fleet of vehicles.

Good luck. I know how annoying this delema can be!