Got my aligment done today

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,982 Likes on 14,493 Posts
I actually think when car is in the air there is positive camber. When I test fitted my wheels with the car on a jack, I was pretty certain I would hit the fender when lowered...low and behold...the negative camber fixed that!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the slash marks weren't the best example to use to try and explain, but regardless if the car is toed in or toed out you will not have one wheel go stright down the road as it had zero toe while the other is toed out or in, what happens as you go down the road the tires center so if it's toed out 1/4 then the left wheel will travel out 1/8 as well as the right side. One side will not track straight while the other tracks at an angle they both will travel at an angle while rolling down the road.

No if it's toed in 1/4 it's not going to go to a toe out condition, but will all ways remain toed in. the steering wheel center is dependent upon the the toe adjustment and the relationship of each set of tie rods per side, yes soometimes you can adjust one side and get the wheel to center, but 99% of the time you have to adjust both sides moving one out while taking the other side in. So to sit there and say that the one wheel is perfectly straight as it goes down the road isn't true, that might be the case on the rack but not in the real world when rolling resistancde is applied, the front wheels self center and both wheels will be toed in or out which ever the case may be and why the steering wheel is off center, If your arguement was true that only one wheel is toed in and the other was straight then there would never be a need to center the steering wheel as it would always stay center but we all know that is not the case, toe adjustment and the centering of the steering wheel are directly related to the tie-rod end adjustment and toe.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
If you have a few minutes and are not too good to be enlightened. Give this a read. I dare you tell him he doesn't know his sh*t!!
http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?num=1162587420
fsttyms1, you clearly know what you're talking about.

djescobar, as I said before...MAN...if it's fixed...that is GREAT!!!

yes I read his double talk at one point in time he says you don't need camber kits then later states you do on the the front.

so yes he's a little off base and leads one to believe that if your toe is off then you'll see wear on the outside, well fact of the matter is depending if it's toed in or toed out effects where the wear shows on the the tire. the additional point he doesn't even bring up is the effect the excessive negitive camber has on the tires belts or the internal construction of the tire and how your side loading the belts from the negitive camber and breakign down the side wall of the tire in addition to the belts that should be paralell to the road surface that are now being forced outward constanly, trying to run a race track suspension setting on the street is foolish and will just go through your tires that much faster. Hell he would have you believe that toe is what's going to round the edges of the tires and that happens nautrally fron turning and occurs evenly on the inside and outside of the tire and will occur even if everything is set to zero.

Last edited by rcb2000; 08-30-2010 at 12:22 PM.