The cure for the boat feel..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up The cure for the boat feel..

All,
I just wanted to let you know that if you have a stock TL or TLS then you kow from the title that this car has very soft suspension. Right when I got the car in 2002 (TL-s), I knew I was settleing (for the previous car was an 94 nsx with suspension from comptech and koni) but I did not had a choice of I was getting a family started..

I finally decided to do someting about if and purchace the comtech spring, sway bars and koni yellows and just installed them this past week. Let me tell you that it made me 100% happier and that I should of done this at day 1. The car feels soild and if its on rails. I can tell the difference in the sharp turns, quick lane chages at high speeds, starts and at stops. I really hate the sinousodial motion on the old suspension and now the dampening is quick and best of all, I feel safe in the car.

I do not see how some folks see the change to be too bone rattling. I do not see any cons for the change. The best test was the wife and kids and they have not complained on the so called roughness of the suspension. The only this I feel is the solid footwork of the card on the new suspension.

I asked the shop to adust the rear yellows to 1/2 turn from soft and leave the front to full soft for now. After riding it for a week, I will make the front stiffer for there is little to NO compermise on the ride.

I hope this will help out anyone out there that is on the fence (like me while back) to get the suspension done. I will guarantee that you will not regret it..
Old 03-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Banned

i love my tein ss
Old 03-07-2005, 06:40 AM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I beg your pardon! My 99 TL with stock shocks and all does NOT feel like a boat. My mothers 99 528i however, does. I think my car is very sporty, and have demonstrated that numerous times! But it is gettin close to the time to replace my worn out shocks, so I may upgrade to something else beside stock. I would never purchase them just for the hell of it though.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
'03 TL doesnt feel boaty. It absorbs bumps like a sponge and for a 4 door car, it handles like it its a go-kart.

Keep in mind you WERE in an NSX. Nearly any car out there short of a Caterham will feel "disconnected" in comparison.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I think it depends on where you're coming from. I came from a '92 Eclipse, which isn't a good handling car by any means, but the being a smaller and lighter car it was more nimble than the Type S.

I always felt the Type S was a boat, and it has a tighter suspension than the TL-Ps ...

I agree though, adding the Comptech Swaybars and a good set of shocks/springs makes things a lot better. I have the Tein SS EDFC which I would highly recommend if you are particular about how soft/hard your car rides. With the EDFC, its just a touch of a button to go back to close to stock smoothness and another touch to make the ride more harsh (but with better cornering ability). Even at the harshest setting the TL still rides pretty smooth though.

Still handles like a boat compared to my S2000 tho
Old 03-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Pro

I will have to agree, the premium model handles like a boat, it has that soft, going with the motion road feel to it. Since I push my car a bit on our Texas highways, I need a tight quick response suspension.

Soooo... I have my TEIN's SS set at 6 clicks up front and 8 in the back, it's the perfect compromise for me, not to harsh, but tight on the corners and handling thru traffic.

On top of that, I have the CT strut bars and the CT sways, and let me tell you, there is no "type-s" that could handle like I do today.... Just had to rub that in, for all the type-s owners that always say "just trade and get a type-s"
Old 03-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by El pana/TL32
On top of that, I have the CT strut bars and the CT sways, and let me tell you, there is no "type-s" that could handle like I do today.... Just had to rub that in, for all the type-s owners that always say "just trade and get a type-s"
Maybe stock Type S owners, but I'm pretty sure I could keep up with ya in the twisties and pass you by on the straights unless you've got Nitrous or some sort of FI ... With the TL of course.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
Maybe stock Type S owners, but I'm pretty sure I could keep up with ya in the twisties and pass you by on the straights unless you've got Nitrous or some sort of FI ... With the TL of course.
You def, would! We all family men.... I respect a moded type-s
Old 03-07-2005, 09:32 AM
Banned

I will have to agree, the premium model handles like a boat, it has that soft, going with the motion road feel to it. Since I push my car a bit on our Texas highways, I need a tight quick response suspension.

Soooo... I have my TEIN's SS set at 6 clicks up front and 8 in the back, it's the perfect compromise for me, not to harsh, but tight on the corners and handling thru traffic.

i have my TL Tein settings: for the front the harshest - 16, and the back 8, the front of my car is extremely low so i need to make sure it is harsh so the front end of my car doesnt slam on the floor
Old 03-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 55M2G7L
i have my TL Tein settings: for the front the harshest - 16, and the back 8, the front of my car is extremely low so i need to make sure it is harsh so the front end of my car doesnt slam on the floor
Not to second guess you, but I hope you have your setting right... because:

The settings go from 0 - 16 for a safe setting selection, and from 16 - 32 for a much softer ryde, but with some risk (according to TEIN) of perhaps bottoming out. So with that said..

0 = harsh, stiffest ryde... going clock wise to tighten
16 = very soft and safe comfort ryde, going counter clock wise to loosen

So because we have a fwd, I keep my front a bit stiffer than the rear, thus the 6 click up front and 8 back. And alos as you metioned, to prevent the nose dive to protect the custom lip.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Racer

drive the 2005 G35 and tell me about the suspension and handling.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Banned

I got H&R Sport Springs. Its the perfect balance of ride and handling. Tein is too extreme.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Banned

Not to second guess you, but I hope you have your setting right... because:

The settings go from 0 - 16 for a safe setting selection, and from 16 - 32 for a much softer ryde, but with some risk (according to TEIN) of perhaps bottoming out. So with that said..

0 = harsh, stiffest ryde... going clock wise to tighten
16 = very soft and safe comfort ryde, going counter clock wise to loosen

So because we have a fwd, I keep my front a bit stiffer than the rear, thus the 6 click up front and 8 back. And alos as you metioned, to prevent the nose dive to protect the custom lip.
no your right, my fault, 0 in the front and 8 in the back
Old 03-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MADCAT
I got H&R Sport Springs. Its the perfect balance of ride and handling. Tein is too extreme.
yea for pussies
Old 03-07-2005, 04:18 PM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im gonna have to go with majority on this one. Having an S2000 for a fun car, getting into my TL feels like Im driving a cadillac. On the other hand, others have said they like the ride of my TL, coming from cars such as a corsica, contour, etc...
Old 03-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Comptech Freak

when you have a NSX, everycar with FWD will look boaty to you~ LOL

TL is one of the best handling FWD car on the market already~
Old 03-08-2005, 12:09 AM
Intermediate

Smile

You guys are correct, my point might be a little biased coming from a mod. nsx.. But I think even with out that experience (nsx and mod 3 series), the tl and tls (any year and even the rl) is very soft and that is the fact.. But with that said, I still think the stock car is a good buy and if you put in $1500 (on suspension) it would be worth it.
Please do not knock it until you actually ride in a tl with the mods.. One of the replys was that this is the best FWD in its class and that might be correct (I not sure) but why not make the FWD drive like a mid-engine or RWD.. Like a reply stated, we are mostly guys with families so this car is a good fit but when the kids gets older, I getting the corvette (cheap and sporty)..