Can I Just Replace the Front Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I Just Replace the Front Tires?

I went to the dealer today to do an oil change and the service rep. said I needed to replace my two front tires. I currently have the stock Michelin tires and as I do the research, the replacement of Michelin tires are expensive. So I was wondering if I could have a different set of front tires than back tires. I'll eventually switch out the back tires to match my front tires once the back tires wear out. I live in Dallas, Texas so, what are some decent all-season tires? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:04 PM
HELP!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea, you can just replace the two front. I have the Yokohama Avid V4S tires and they've served me well so far.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
as long as your are not an aggressive street racer type- and you have radial tires front and back (do they even still sell bias-ply tires to anyone but track racers?)

You want the new tires installed in the BACK
I know seems strange, but in the rain on a corner- which do you want sticking to the pavement- the rear-!! or it suddenly comes around in front of you! not fun

Check out General Exclaim UHP tires. Great low price, #1 rated in summer tire cat. on tirerack- but rated M&S tire on it because tread design and silca whatever technology.
All I know is these things hang on wet or dry and under wet braking- highest rating AA
Old 02-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ exactly what he said, buy 2 new ones, and put em in the back...

exclaims are good, but if u dont corner hard, they r fine...they have a soft sidewall, but thats about the only negative about em, great tread wear.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
thats the first time I heard this to mount new tires in the back. why is this? so the car doesnt spin out on you? I drive on the icey roads 5 months out of the year and I put new tires in the front and that never happened to me before. that just made it better handling an better breaking but never made me spin out. I am just confused
Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Continental Conti Extreme Contact-great life, good handling, moderate noise
Tirerack.com is a great place to do the research.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:53 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
You want the new tires installed in the BACK
I know seems strange, but in the rain on a corner- which do you want sticking to the pavement- the rear-!! or it suddenly comes around in front of you! not fun
If the rear sticks in the rain, the front (with worn tires) will understeer into a lamp pole. FWD cars put all the wear into the front tires, the rear ones have minimal wear in comparison. The sole purpose of tire rotation is to even out the tire wear between the fronts and the rears.

So putting worn tires at the front will only worsen the situation, making the worn fronts wear down even more and the new rears remain to be brand new.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Team Owner

If your fronts are so worn that you understeer into a pole- you needed 4 tires not 2!
It is well written that new tires go on the back on FWD cars
You can control the front end- it is assumed~
But the rear coming around is always a bad situation
Old 02-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Team Owner

yes- rotation front to rear is only to make all 4 tires wear out at the same time- then you get all fresh grip when you replace.
In the cse of only buying 2 tires, its -best tires on the back- FWD or RWD doesnt matter
Old 02-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Instructor

this is interesting and helpful stuff, thanks guys!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Team Owner

for more opinions and possibly some facts!
www.tirerack.com
Old 02-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
thats the first time I heard this to mount new tires in the back. why is this? so the car doesnt spin out on you? I drive on the icey roads 5 months out of the year and I put new tires in the front and that never happened to me before. that just made it better handling an better breaking but never made me spin out. I am just confused
Go to any tire store or tire rack and ask. Any competent shop will tell you new in the rear.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
If the rear sticks in the rain, the front (with worn tires) will understeer into a lamp pole. FWD cars put all the wear into the front tires, the rear ones have minimal wear in comparison. The sole purpose of tire rotation is to even out the tire wear between the fronts and the rears.

So putting worn tires at the front will only worsen the situation, making the worn fronts wear down even more and the new rears remain to be brand new.
Like tom said, if your tires are so worn you plow into a pole you need 4 not 2. Do a little research. Every one will tell you new tires are to go to the rear. Not to mention you should put the rears to the front to get them worn out so that you are driving on 4 Equal and same tires. You should never have to replace just 2 tires if you rotate them the way you should.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Oops, I guess I have been wrong for almost 20 years since the time when ABS was unheard of and when 2 snow tires were used they had to be on the driving axle for FWD cars. So I always think that good tires are best installed at the front for FWD cars. I'm glad that I have joined this forum. I learn something new everyday.

But then we can kiss the term "tire rotation" goodbye if we must put new or deeper-treaded tires in the rear for FWD cars, because

(1) if used tires are used in the front and new tires in the rear for a FWD car, the used front tires will only become balder making it even more impossible to rotate the new rear tires to the front. So the logic goes like this. Once you put new tires in the rear for a FWD car, you can't do tire rotation and have to drive the used front tires to the grave.

(2) if 4 new tires are used on a FWD car, tire rotation has to be very, very frequent, say every 1000 miles to balance out the front/rear tread wear. Otherwise once not careful and the front tires start wearing out more than the rear (this is obvious for FWD cars), then the "rear tires must have deeper tread" rule will be violated and the shallower-treaded front tires will automatically be no longer allowed to be rotated to the rear. In this case, as in (1), the shallower-treaded front tires will have to stay in the front forever.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Like tom said, if your tires are so worn you plow into a pole you need 4 not 2. Do a little research. Every one will tell you new tires are to go to the rear. Not to mention you should put the rears to the front to get them worn out so that you are driving on 4 Equal and same tires. You should never have to replace just 2 tires if you rotate them the way you should.

Then how often should I do a tire rotation to make my 4 tires wear down at the same time? Thanks!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Go to any tire store or tire rack and ask. Any competent shop will tell you new in the rear.
I dont doubt thats the truth I just didnt know about it. like I drove 2 years (winter/summer) on the same all-seson tires and then the 3rd winter my dad got 2 new tires and put them in the front and I never had problems driving or my back end spining. but maybe its just cuz I am a fucking awesom driver. oh and sniw drifting was SO MUCH FUN and so easy but e-break was working hard. good old corolla, that thing is indistructable. hahaha. nice to know that I am wrong, learning something all the time.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Oops, I guess I have been wrong for almost 20 years since the time when ABS was unheard of and when 2 snow tires were used they had to be on the driving axle for FWD cars. So I always think that good tires are best installed at the front for FWD cars. I'm glad that I have joined this forum. I learn something new everyday.

But then we can kiss the term "tire rotation" goodbye if we must put new or deeper-treaded tires in the rear for FWD cars, because

(1) if used tires are used in the front and new tires in the rear for a FWD car, the used front tires will only become balder making it even more impossible to rotate the new rear tires to the front. So the logic goes like this. Once you put new tires in the rear for a FWD car, you can't do tire rotation and have to drive the used front tires to the grave.

(2) if 4 new tires are used on a FWD car, tire rotation has to be very, very frequent, say every 1000 miles to balance out the front/rear tread wear. Otherwise once not careful and the front tires start wearing out more than the rear (this is obvious for FWD cars), then the "rear tires must have deeper tread" rule will be violated and the shallower-treaded front tires will automatically be no longer allowed to be rotated to the rear. In this case, as in (1), the shallower-treaded front tires will have to stay in the front forever.
I didnt make this up. To me it doesnt seem to make sense either but the "Experts" did. (and i guess for the vast majority of the population it would be better if what below in #2 is correct)

1. Your tires should be rotated every 7500 so that they stay similar in tread depth at all time. That way when it comes time to replace them you replace them in sets of 4. Ive been doing it for damn near a million miles now and when i have to replace my tires its amazing how similar in tread depth all 4 are. (I never see more than 1 to 2/32 difference between the 2 even with Z rated summer tires)

2. Tire rotation doesnt need to be that often. I dont think they are talking less than 1/32 difference wanting the more in the rear. I think they are talking about a tire with say 3/32 vs 10/32. I think the thought is is that they dont want the front to have more grip than the rear for the simple handling aspect that they dont want drivers out driving the rear traction which most drivers cant control the rear coming out safely.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by hairything
Then how often should I do a tire rotation to make my 4 tires wear down at the same time? Thanks!
whats stated in the manual. Typically its around 7500 miles.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Team Owner

studded snow tires are different than what we are talking about! those you run on the drive wheels of course, with the option of them on the rear as well
You dont find many cars with wiped out tires on one end and the others great-
except when the toe alignment was way off- but thats an abnormal wear pattern.
Today on tv I watched cars in a snowstorm back east. FWD cars that got the back sliding around and sideways across embankments when the grip in the back disappeared.
Ice is a real bummer- the car that did multi 360s straight down the freeway was impressive~
You would have to be talking major differance in treadwear to have any real problems.
It never hurts to follow a proven method that improves your safety and control of the car

The gen3 cars have a mind of their own when it comes to traction and how to maintain it, good tires all around are really important there.
Rotate ever 7500 miles, its more than a ploy to make you buy 4 tires at once.
Plan ahead and put a little $ aside each month for the TL.