Boy, did I #$%@! up -- advice welcome

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Greenhorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Boy, did I #$%@! up -- advice welcome

I was changing my rear shocks and springs this weekend, and everything went okay until the very last one. Isn't that always the way it goes? There is a small, removable metal piece on one side into which the bolt slides...through the bottom of the shock...and into the threads on this piece. Well, it wouldn't line up. So, I loosened the bolt holding it on in order to allow a little "play". Well, long story short, by the time it was done,the bolt holding on the piece wouldn't go back in. Oh, the holes would line up, but the threads were screwed...either on the bolt, on the piece it screwed into, or both. Well, I replaced the bolt, but it didn't work. Is there any chance in hell that I can use a tap and die set to rethread the piece into which these fit? Taking the piece off to carry to a shop is NOT what I want to do. It's the main piece on the back of the rotor to which the caliper and all the supports are attached. It would be a bitch and a half to remove. Help!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah, I know what part you're talking about. That one is a royal pain in the ass.

If the thread is messed up, then you should try to tap it. It's grade 10 steel; it'll hold. Just make sure that you're lined up properly before you start tapping it.

I wish I could tell you the size, but I don't know off the top of my head. But the best way I've found to do that, is putting both bolts in, and screwing it in little by little, while switching sides to keep it even. Takes a while and it's a pain, but it's really the only way to do it.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Greenhorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Yeah, I know what part you're talking about. That one is a royal pain in the ass.

If the thread is messed up, then you should try to tap it. It's grade 10 steel; it'll hold. Just make sure that you're lined up properly before you start tapping it.

I wish I could tell you the size, but I don't know off the top of my head. But the best way I've found to do that, is putting both bolts in, and screwing it in little by little, while switching sides to keep it even. Takes a while and it's a pain, but it's really the only way to do it.

Taking your advice, I did a little checking and found that it is a 10 mm with a thread pitch of 1.25 (just for everyone's future reference). I tapped both holes - the one for the shock pin and for the plate mount. Both worked perfectly, and now I have a car again! But, it was so much work, my lazy arse is going to wait until tomorrow to put the rear seat back in. Is that ghetto, or what?