2003 TL-S Tires best for snow/rain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 TL-S Tires best for snow/rain?

my sister who now owns my 2003 TL Types S is looking to get new tires as her (Michelin Pilots are getting worn out) Since the car is horrible in the snow/rain (especially compared to my AWD C -Class lol) I am trying to figure out what tires would be best for her care. Any suggestions? Thanks much appreciated.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
dedicated snow tires for winter and a good all season/summer tire for summer months is what i would do. I wont let my mom or sister drive their car with out dedicated snow tires.

If your dead set against it check out the Tirerack and do some comparisons. I know a lot of people here like the Yoko Avid h/v 4
Old 08-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Advanced

I would rather go with an All Season tire. Thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Advanced

What other tires are recommended? Especially in the rain
Old 10-08-2009, 08:57 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Tires

Originally Posted by xxnonamexx
I bought a set of Goodyear Eagle GT V-rated "ultra high performance" tires from Tirerack. I love them. You can apply a lot of power on wet streets without even blinking the VSA light. I can't directly compare them to the other leading sellers, and I can't not speak about snow traction because we don't get much snow around here....but the rain performance is awesome for an all-season tire.
handling & ride are great, they run smooth and i don't hear much thread noise.
They are priced around $110 each, so they are not the cheapest nor the most expensive.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
See post 2
Old 10-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
What part of the country do you live? You see ample amounts of snow / ice?

Depends on what kind of situation your sister experiences. I mean, if you get a rare snowstorm then you might be able to get away with good "all-season" tires. If your sister lives in the northeast ... then you'd definitely want to consider dedicated snow tires like the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D, for example.

I went with a down-the-middle approach with a Nokian WR tire on my TL-S. It's an "all-season" compound with a snowtread pattern, so I got a compromise of both worlds. Worked great on my TL-S since I never got stuck and I didn't worry about changing tires right away when the weather got warm. Tire wasn't that mushy in the winter and had decent tread life. (I currently use the Nokian WR G2 tire on my G37 ... seems to fit my purposes ... but I'm a little disappointed by the WR G2's tread life ... the rears burned up quite a bit already!)
Old 11-01-2009, 01:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I live in Minnesota and use Aizonian Silver edition plus. $115 each plus install in my area it's about $550 for a set of 4 with lifetime replacement (no prorated crap)

I had to replace one due to smaking a pothole (it bubbled) so I got a set for $275-$115+$20 for road hazzard/shop fee/valve stems/tax/ect for a total of $180 for the front 2. Tires have a 55K mile treadware warranty.

I have absolutely ZERO problems in the snow but then again I am a very conservative driver

the set that they replaced had 42K miles on them and still had 50% treadlife left.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...07034&sw=false
Old 11-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
when i lived in South Dakota, my dedicated snows (Cooper Wintermasters I think) were the best thing I could of had to get through those winters..they were studded which are not allowed in MN..lived there also. But, the extremely flexible tread on a dedicated snow will outperform an all season. As far as rain and an all season tire, i had the Yokohama YK520's and they were very good in my opinion. I also have the General Exclaim UHPs and they cut through rain extremely well
Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 PM
philly flickin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Go with a snow tire for winter, dont be cheap.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Instructor

If you insist on going all season instead of dedicated snow tires as most recommend...

Continental's new ExtremeContactDWS scored very well in the rain category - snow is tbd but I bet it will score well there also...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=119

but any hassel/cost of dedicated snow tires is quickly rewarded with safety and control when you need it most..
Old 11-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S's are great AS tires. I had them for a couple of years and they were great in rain, cold, and light snow (here in PDX). The only drawbacks are that they're expensive, and I only got 25K out of them.

Edit: I forgot to mention - I had to run 235/45-17's because they didn't come in stock size. It fit just fine, no issues in the two years I had them.

Last edited by bonknhead; 11-05-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:17 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I had the Khumo ASX Ecstas on my 05 TL which did amazingly well in all weather. NOW I got Continental ContiExtreme Contact DWS for my Type-S and Chicago winters. Great performance, Z rated & a quiet smooth ride.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...%2FPerformance
Old 11-06-2009, 08:17 PM
8th Gear

I have BF Goodrich TA Traction radials for my winter tires and I believe these are one of the best in snow (I did mention I HATE SNOW!!!)
Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Fresher the Better

Based upon this qualification, you should just go with the ExtrmeContact DWS, the new top-performance in the wet-handling category.

The Yokohama Avid H/V4, as well as the Eagle GT, are also excellent wet weather tires BUT have well-below average snow performance.

The BF Goodrich Traction T/A does not have the dry handling of the other tires. It is an old tire, but was so good in its day for bad weather (wet, snow & slush) that I put a set of four on my mother's car. It would be a step down from the ExtremeContact DWS.

The new PZero Nero All Season (as opposed to the PZero Nero M+S, which is a different tire) is the current top-ranked UHP A/S tire according to the testers at tirerack. However, it came in well-behind the ExtremeContact DWS in wet performance.

The Nokian WRg2 is not a great wet-weather tire. It is solid in the snow, and has a great look to it. They are expensive.

Derrick will probably be interested in the just-announced Nokian eNTyre, Nokian's first-ever all-season tire which was designed due to demand of the North American dealers. With a treadwear rating of 700AA, however, I'm concerned this will not be a top-performing tire, although it should do well in straight-line wet traction with 5 circumferential grooves. Sorry Derrick, I can't find a single picture of the tread design yet anywhere on the Internet.

Arizonian tires? If I were moderating the forums I'd ban anyone who admitted to purchasing these tires.

Finally, let's not rule out the Potenza RE960, which seems to be a favorite here at acurazine and does very well in all seasons & conditions. It hasn't been directly compared yet with the ExtremeContact DWS.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
I am loving my Goodyear Eagle GT A/S tires so far.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TLAwesome
Arizonian tires? If I were moderating the forums I'd ban anyone who admitted to purchasing these tires.

I'd ban people that comment on some elses purchase decision. I mean after all your opinion is the only one that counts, right? Please, next time keep your dumbass comments to yourself.

nothing wrong with the tires I have on my car, they will definately outlast all of the choices you mentioned. and I do live in a state with a lot of snow and a fair amount of rain.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Fresher the Better

I don't care that *YOU* purchased Arizonian tires. You can drive on whatever dangerous POS tire you choose (provided when it explodes you don't ram into an innocent bystander). I have a serious issue, however, with you recommending your private-label tire to other Acura owners.

Over the years, Arizonian tires have been subject to numerous recalls:
http://www.arfc.org/tires/ARIZONIAN/recalls.aspx

http://www.tiredefects.com/kelly-spr...and-rubber.cfm

Private-label brands are always cheaper because they completely lack such things as R&D and high-end manufacturing technology of the parent company. They also have less money to spend on raw materials and quality control, making them more prone to failure.

Out of 13 consumer reviews (including yours) of the Silver Edition Plus that weren't on Discounttire.com's website, 2 mentioned bubbles in the sidewall, 1 had a professional tell a customer that his tire had "ply-separation," and 1 had a complete blow-out. Several complained of lack of steering response and noise:

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Ariz..._Tire_44824236

Arizonian's marketing department says your tire has a "Sophisticated non-directional tread design." Really? Let's analyze the tread design:

Every alternate shoulder block extends into the outer circumferential grooves, which makes the tire more likely to hydroplane since it directly obstructs the water path. The "S"-shaped tread blocks in the center may be considered "continuous," but the angle of the grooves is too steep to make it effective for steering response (a common complaint). In other words, it's not a continuous center rib. And I have no idea what they were thinking with the treadblocks adjacent to the center rib. They "angled" them downward which creates triangular voids between them and the center rib. What other modern-tire design has triangular gaps like that? Modern tires designs would have either filled that area with rubber for traction, or create a groove for water evacuation.

Finally, I am unable to find a single, professional review of the tire. However, Arizonian's marketing department has managed to flood the Internet with fake reviews, a small sample can be found here:

http://tireconsumerdaily.com/Arizoni...s-review-15773
http://www.tirequalityreport.com/Ari...s-review-15780
http://tiredigest.com/Arizonian-Silv...s-review-15775

The tire I recommended, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, has been professionally and objectively tested. Its strengths and weaknesses are documented. It is made by an International company that has many recent, competitive-review-winning tires.

For the future, I will be pleased to keep my "dumbass" comments to myself if you keep your dangerous tire suggestions to yourself. Next you'll be telling someone its okay to drive with Arizonian tires on the front and "hannock[sic] tires" on the rear just because you did it:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=42

Sigh.

Last edited by TLAwesome; 11-11-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't care that *YOU* purchased Arizonian tires. You can drive on whatever dangerous POS tire you choose (provided when it explodes you don't ram into an innocent bystander). I have a serious issue, however, with you recommending your private-label tire to other Acura owners.

Private-label brands are always cheaper because they completely lack such things as R&D and high-end manufacturing technology of the parent company. They also have less money to spend on raw materials and quality control, making them more prone to failure.

Out of 13 consumer reviews (including yours) of the Silver Edition Plus that weren't on Discounttire.com's website, 2 mentioned bubbles in the sidewall, 1 had a professional tell a customer that his tire had "ply-separation," and 1 had a complete blow-out. Several complained of lack of steering response and noise:

Arizonian's marketing department says your tire has a "Sophisticated non-directional tread design." Really? Let's analyze the tread design:

Every alternate shoulder block extends into the outer circumferential grooves, which makes the tire more likely to hydroplane since it directly obstructs the water path. The "S"-shaped tread blocks in the center may be considered "continuous," but the angle of the grooves is too steep to make it effective for steering response (a common complaint). In other words, it's not a continuous center rib. And I have no idea what they were thinking with the treadblocks adjacent to the center rib. They "angled" them downward which creates triangular voids between them and the center rib. What other modern-tire design has triangular gaps like that? Modern tires designs would have either filled that area with rubber for traction, or create a groove for water evacuation.

Finally, I am unable to find a single, professional review of the tire. However, Arizonian's marketing department has managed to flood the Internet with fake reviews, a small sample can be found here:

The tire I recommended, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, has been professionally and objectively tested. Its strengths and weaknesses are documented. It is made by an International company that has many recent, competitive-review-winning tires.

For the future, I will be pleased to keep my "dumbass" comments to myself if you keep your dangerous tire suggestions to yourself. Next you'll be telling someone its okay to drive with Arizonian tires on the front and "hannock[sic] tires" on the rear just because you did it:

Sigh.
please SFTU ok, just because you want to be a moron with your comments, does not mean the rest of us want to hear it

can you prove or point to any credible information that states these tires are dangerous? please provide the studies that show these tires are dangerous

once again please provide the facts that indicate that these tires are dangerous?

yeah thought so, talking out of your ass.......

as for the bubbles, I wonder how many potholes those people hit becuase I ONLY times I have ever had a tire bubble is when I hit a pothole that was sever enough to do serious damage to the suspension.

Last edited by YeuEmMaiMai; 11-12-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Fresher the Better

>>can you prove or point to any credible information that states these tires are dangerous? <<

I already pointed to a customer review in which he said he had a blowout and another who said he was advised by a mechanic that his tire had ply-separation. These reviews are worth as much as your own.

There are many other Arizonian tires with issues too:
http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Ariz...rformance_Tire

You're making a tire recommendation based solely on your experience. Have you pointed to a single, credible, review of the tire from a professional? In other words, from someone who actually doesn't drive around on "hannock" tires? From someone with enough competent driving experience to avoid driving into potholes so big as to cause serious damage to the suspension?

Unlike you, when I make a recommendation, I can, and usually do, back it up with an independent review. That way, I'm supporting my suggestion with professional data. You've done nothing of the sort, yet you accuse me of talking out of my ass.

Your great retort to my original response was, "nothing wrong with the tires I have on my car, they will definately[sic] outlast all of the choices you mentioned."

Let me know how those tires are working for you five years from now when the rubber is all dried-out and cracking but you still have plenty of tread left. Ridiculously-long tread-life should be the last item to consider when purchasing tires.

I've added my two cents and you've thrown in yours. At this point, I'm going to agree that we disagree and move on.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:37 PM
4th Gear

I have the Yoko's on my car now and I live in Massachusetts where I get alot more snow than others due to my elevation and being in the snowbelt. I am not happy with the Yoko's...they wore out quickly and from the day I bought them they slide all over the place with just a dusting of snow (I loved them in the summer when I put them on). I am a conservative driver not fast but not slow and the Yoko's do nothing for my 03 TL. I am currently considering the Michelin Primacy or the Nokian WR which I have heard great things about.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Sigh.
One thing I love about idiotic postings: They always come back to bite you in the arse.

I FINALLY replaced the original set 6 years and 70K miles later when I got a slow leak in one tire and a bubble in another due to a massive pothole I could not avoid. The other set from 2009 is still on the car and doing just fine.

And btw, the Hanook tires were replaced due to one having a slow leak and i did not want to replace just that tire. They were also not suitable for winter driving as they were performance tires meant for the summer and i replaced the remaining 2 at the start of winter.

Now I have 1 set of Kumho and will be replacing the remaining 2 Airizonians here within the next few weeks when I get around to it.

Last edited by YeuEmMaiMai; 10-25-2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred All Season ( the new ones )

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/...39951134900000
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I've been running Continental's ExtremeContact DWS tires in 225/50-17 for a little over a year. These are great tires. Terrific in wet weather - which is especially important here in soggy Oregon - and very good in the summer. They're a couple pounds lighter than any of the previous tires I've had: BFG Traction, Pirelli P-Zero Nero, Michelin MXV4 too.