Wondering If my transmisson is messing up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wondering If my transmisson is messing up?

Hello everyone. Im new to this site. I have a 03 tl type s. Ive been in love with this car for awile now. But I finailly got the chance to get one. Ive done alittle homework before I decided to perchase the car. I ask a Acura dealer if I should be aware of any problems I might have. They said to be aware of the transmisson. Ive noticed alittle shuttering from the top of second going into third. I called the acura dealer and ask what the powertran warrinty on the car was. They said 4yrs 50,000. i dont know if I talked to the right guy. Or dept. Ive read alitte on here and someone said that honda extended the warrinty? If someone could give me alittle insite. I would appreciate it Oh and call me crazy. But dose anyones rmps ever dance around? When I watch it rev up wile im driving. Or going at a steady speed . It kindda dances around? Thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Race Director

http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme.../php/login.php

Enter your VIN into there to see if your tranny is covered. If not what your going to need is a goodwill replacement. First thing to do is bring it to the dealer ASAP. Speak to the service manger and not the people that work at the desk. Be as nice as possible. Also your RPMs dancing is NOT normal and needs to be checked out as well.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Even if it doesn't act up when you take it to the dealer, it will document your issue & it could help with getting it fixed later.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
welcome to the forum! Many of us have been thru this and its not a big deal to get some Goodwill from Acura
You have some classic symptoms- check the 1st page of Tranny failure thread for Acuras list of known symptoms- sounds like you have clutch slippage and possible selenoid prob
YEAH!!!!! I think there is no better way to start ownership of a TL than getting a new trans- its like half a brand new car!! do some seafoam and its like a whole new car

Realize that the `phone answer` is not the same as what they can do in person AFTER a problem is diagnosed by driving the car and testing for codes.
There is~ the book~- then there is reality of the situation

Scores of ziners went in prepared for pleading or fighting (that never works) and sat 15 minutes in the air conditioned lounge, drinking Acuras coffee and watching tv- when the service writer or manager appears with a new car, keys in hand.
"Yep your trans is shot-
I got acura to cover it for you, no charge- will call you in a week-"
or maybe they say goodwill replacement, and if you want a 3 year 36k mile warranty its $300- grab that offer!!!!

They have to ship the trans from a warehouse/factory that rebuilds all of acuras warranty returns
They may find a broken front motor mount- very common failure- ~$150 to replace with the trans already removed- easy access

Call and ask for 1st appointment- your trans is acting up!!!!

register with acura- by VIN number at 1-800-382-2238x5 tell them you are the new owner of record- ask to check the staus of the trans warranty and any RECALLS needing to be done.
I think the 03 has a recall for timing belt pulley- have them replace the water pump while in there- its a little cost while they pick up the major cost getting to it!

Tell the person you are having trans problems- they make a record of it in the system- this helps you later regardless of actual coverage

register here online too- http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
in the recall section you are looking at your cars history
there is also acuras complete description of the trans prob- the court case that extended the warranty...
The reason there is a VIN cutoff in mid 2003 was not because they fixed the prob- it was a court case and needed a number to settle, and get on with life and paying back custoners who paid to replace the trans etc

NOTE- this may be your saver too- if the recall to install an external oil jet kit was not done- when the dealer has the car they will look inside the transmission for damage from poor oiling- it there is any sign- its automatic trans replacement!!!!

Again- welcome to azine- we can help you through this based on personal experience- there are even acura techs-service writers and managers that frequent here and offer special insight
Old 07-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Team Owner

When I say Acura looks inside the trans I mean with a boroscope camera-
they never take the trans apart to do anything-
Old 07-29-2008, 05:39 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme.../php/login.php

Enter your VIN into there to see if your tranny is covered. If not what your going to need is a goodwill replacement. First thing to do is bring it to the dealer ASAP. Speak to the service manger and not the people that work at the desk. Be as nice as possible. Also your RPMs dancing is NOT normal and needs to be checked out as well.
Hey thanks for the link. I checked it and my car isnt coverd. I dont know what im going to do<
Old 07-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

OK so Acura dosent cover my transmisson :(

Originally Posted by christl03
Hello everyone. Im new to this site. I have a 03 tl type s. Ive been in love with this car for awile now. But I finally got the chance to get one. Ive done alittle homework before I decided to perchase the car. I ask a Acura dealer if I should be aware of any problems I might have. They said to be aware of the transmisson. Ive noticed alittle shuttering from the top of second going into third. I called the acura dealer and ask what the powertran warrinty on the car was. They said 4yrs 50,000. i dont know if I talked to the right guy. Or dept. Ive read alitte on here and someone said that honda extended the warrinty? If someone could give me alittle insite. I would appreciate it Oh and call me crazy. But dose anyones rmps ever dance around? When I watch it rev up wile im driving. Or going at a steady speed . It kindda dances around? Thanks
Ok so Icall Acura of America and talk to a very nice lady. But unforchanly my transmisson isnt covered under the law suite. Which I think is a bunch of shit. Im supposed to take her in sat. Thank god I have a friend that works for acura. Hopefully she can help me out .
Old 07-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Team Owner

If you read the Tranny Failure thread there are several examples of what to say and do- relax---as far as you are concerned- that car is covered- one way or the other~
Goodwill freebie coverage from Acura is what will happen-
Be NICE- be informed- tell them you are on acurazine, and you know they like perfect 10s on the survey, you are a struggling student, or new parent, or whatever the truth of the situation is. They will hook you up if you maintain a positive attitude
The 800 number gives answers from the book of NO!
The dealer does the same thing on the phone- but once you go in- they diagnose, and make a phone call to the regional acura warranty rep- get approval for full free replacement or partial pay depending on the situation.
If they offer 300$ for 3/36 warranty on the trans-- grab it!

Read the court case before you whine about the vin cutoff- it needed a number so it could settle
Acura KNOWS the problem was not fixed- thats why they have GOODWILL warranty
Its not official or required of them- but they are pretty good about granting it

Saturday appointments are for suckers- the Head Tech that can diagnose and find the small mystery shudder and slip is NOT going to be there. Maybe a tech qualified to plug in the code reader is on duty but I would not count on it
In addition you need the real Manager to call acura- guess who takes weekends off!
Monday after 10:30 (shop usually has meeting in the am) or Tuesday to be safe
It may even have to stay a day or 2 to get it to act up....ask the service mangaer to drive it home---that usually gets the tech to find the prob.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Team Owner

register on the acura site- look if the ~oil jet recall~was taken care of on your car
check RECALL section of site
If not- before its install they do the boroscope inspection, and they find damage to the shaft- its free warranty transmission- desnt matter about the other trans warranty- this is its own recall issue and applied into the 04s!

http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
need your VIN to set up account- can store the radio and nav security codes there too
as well as record maitenance for posterity
Old 10-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
do some seafoam and its like a whole new car

what's seafoam?