Weird Start Up 2003 TL Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:58 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Weird Start Up 2003 TL Type-S

Whats up everybody?

So Im having this problem, When I turn the key on a hot day (say over 80 degrees) The car will turn on them the RPM suddenly drop to 0 and the car turns off. In order to get it started I have to give it gas.
Like it has no power.
Once I get the car started its perfect...Im just really lost with this issue, and its really making me want to trade the car in.

No check engine light...recent tune up done at midas(think I should take it back there)??
Trans was rebuilt about 6k miles ago.
T-Belt package done also.

What could it be?
Thanks in advance
Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 AM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
Take back where did the work and have them check it out, but sounds your idle air control, you can clean it your self or change it out its really simple and easy,

Remove the intake, remove throttle body, under the throttle body is the idle control, 2 screws holding it, clean it up with some carb cleaner

Easier way, I've done it with no problems, remove the intake, and look at the throttle body, just before the valve there is a small hole, spray some carb cleaner/sea foam spray in there and it will clean it up, if its never been cleaned take it apart, this works better as regular cleaning
The following users liked this post:
JmannTLs03 (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts
If you take it back to the mechanic they will tell you to replace the IAC valve ($200+)....and that is IF they can diagnose it as such. It doesn't need replacing. It's easy to take it apart and clean out all the gunk accumulated in it, which prevents it from moving and controlling your idle. Make sure to get a new gasket for the IAC and a new gasket for your throttle body. Mechanics don't like to clean stuff.....just to replace parts.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
thats because they are not real `mechanics` who know cars and can diagnose properly!
they are `techs` who replace parts assemblies...often after a `diagnostics guy` tells them to

you have a few problems
first: Midas, Im almost certain, did NOT use the correct 8 dollar each retail price
NGK iridium spark plugs (or ngk platinum, but irid better)
anything but the correct plugs will be eaten by our hi energy coil on plug ignition
bosch,acdelco etc are forbidden!!!

once thats resolved, other possible recently reported here: fuel pump relay goes bad

its NOT the iacv!! that makes idle go from 750-1000-1500 jumping and is a simple diy to clean its air slit,,when done with the egr port cleaning inside the intake manifold
Clogged egr ports will cause major starting/running probs too
thats a diy service not found in maitenance schedule!!,,special ziner knowledge that every 75kmiles you must remove intake and clean it all out

seafoam or bg or motorpurr in the gas will help injectors, always a good starting point
The following users liked this post:
JmannTLs03 (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok thanks guys...im gonna get this done today cause i dont want an problems. Ive put too much money into this car for problems.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
ck the invoice and what gets removed-for spark plugs
If they installed anything but the factory approved NGK or Denso
they have to refund your money for parts and labor
says right on the hood sticker what is allowed

dont let them touch the intake manifold egr system!
look in phone book for smaller ad- auto repairing--private shop that has honda acura listed as specialties
a real acura person will know of the problem with clogging
If they dont- thats not the shop for you
a place that has done many of them is the right place
1.5 -2 hours max charge with iacv cleaning along with manifold cleaning

this does remove the egr valve during procedure- that part is a rare failure-
you lube its arm, and clean the egr ports from underneath it- all thru the manifold,
see 1st page of diy