Water Going Thru EGR

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 05:25 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
Angry Water Going Thru EGR

So my car had been having an issue where when I start it, put the car in drive, and press on the pedal it would feel like it's bogging down. After the first press on the pedal it would feel fine. When I would cruise the car would sound a bit off with the way it was revving.

Long story short, as I was going to do the butterfly delete mod this weekend., I found a lot of water inside my intake manifold. I cleaned it all up and put it back together. At the same time I disconnected the EGR. In the last 2 days I had 0 signs of water going in. I even had my friend check it, checking for leaks with brake cleaner all around my gaskets and what not. Last night I decided to plug the EGR back in cuz I hated seeing the stupid CEL. Today I took off the top plate and found what you see in pictures 2-6

I know I can get a block off plate for the egr, but I don't really want the stupid CEL on. Although I am willing to just remove it completely.

Any input as to how water is creeping through the EGR?

1st pic shows when I first took off the top plate off and found so much water in it.
YES IT'S WATER, NOT OIL. MY CRANKCASE BREATHER HAS A FILTER, NO CATCH CAN OR ANYTHING THAT LEADS TO AN INTAKE.

Last edited by HairyMonkey019; 12-07-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Well on the positive side, the EGR ant trails look pretty good lol
Old 12-07-2016, 06:15 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Normal! Water is one of the normal byproducts of any hydrocarbon combustion. Those long passages are designed to cause condensation, and that's what you're seeing (condensed former water vapor).
Old 12-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Well on the positive side, the EGR ant trails look pretty good lol
lmao, yeah, cuz i cleaned it

Originally Posted by Tosh
Normal! Water is one of the normal byproducts of any hydrocarbon combustion. Those long passages are designed to cause condensation, and that's what you're seeing (condensed former water vapor).
Plz look at the small puddles in the first picture and tell me it's normal. That's not puddles of oil.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Yes, it's a surprising amount of water, but that could be because it was opened up while stone cold, lots of short tripping, your humidity is high, water in fuel, or other reasons. But it's not coolant either is it? So I think it's just a red herring....
Old 12-08-2016, 12:13 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
unless you are running water instead of antifreeze there is no way in hell you can find water ingress from anywhere else.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tosh
Yes, it's a surprising amount of water, but that could be because it was opened up while stone cold, lots of short tripping, your humidity is high, water in fuel, or other reasons. But it's not coolant either is it? So I think it's just a red herring....
I'm from Southern California, it hasn't been that cold here.

Originally Posted by Skirmich
unless you are running water instead of antifreeze there is no way in hell you can find water ingress from anywhere else.
Sounds like imma just delete the EGR since my car runs better without it anyway.
BTW, since you live in So Cal also, could you take a picture of how your intake manifold looks like?

Last edited by HairyMonkey019; 12-08-2016 at 12:30 PM.