Voided My Warranty..

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Voided My Warranty..

So i take my 99 TL to a mechanic to get a few problems fix/ wheel baring, motor mounts, and right side axcle and ac compressor.. The mechanic calls the warranty, and the guy asked the mechanic what size tires i had, 235/45/17... just by throwing on FACTORY RIMS from another year them son of a B**tches voided my warranty.. 2 Year unlimited miles, everything covered, and they void it because i put 17inch rims and my car is suppose to have the facory 16inch..
Old 01-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
One must read the fine print with warranty companies. Thats how they get out of paying for alot of things
Old 01-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
was the warranty through Acura or another company?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:49 PM
The ICEMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since it was a 99 I assume that it would have been through another company. Well there is no one to blame except for yourself, for not reading.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Instructor

it was another warranty.. i did read and it said it couldnt be modified past factory, i figured since it was TL rims and not some 20 inch or something, it wouldnt matter.. but yea they got me real good with that 1, nothing i can do now.. but i have to pay $1100 to fix the problems on it.. im afraid now that i dont have it because if my tranny starts to slip im F*ck*d
Old 01-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
If you were to bring it back in i would throw the factory size tires back on.
But yea its bogus that they would void it due to the tires, when they arent the cause of any of your problems
Old 01-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
If you were to bring it back in i would throw the factory size tires back on.
But yea its bogus that they would void it due to the tires, when they arent the cause of any of your problems

yea i agree, but im going to see if theres anything i can do to get around that and fight it, but i already paid the mechanic cash to fix the problems, since im moving to florida next month... but advise to anyone that buys a warranty, DONT MODIFY YOUR CAR.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Thank the lawyers.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:56 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RicanTL99
but advise to anyone that buys a warranty, DONT MODIFY YOUR CAR.
Actually, people should read the warranty they buy and follow it. If it says don't modify the car, then don't. It's got nothing to do with lawyers.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
It's got everything to do with lawyers. They are hired to write contracts that allow them to weasal out of their binding through lots of little nit picky clauses rather than actually looking at the problem and its cause. Contracts exist solely to save them money, therefore more profit.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:49 AM
Drifting

No one wants to take responsibility and they want to blame someone else, like lawyers, for their problems. Apparently, it must be a new concept to some that when you sign a contract, you agree to abide by the terms. If you don't like the terms, don't sign the contract.

A clause that states "do not modify past factory" is not hard to understand.

No one, including me, is saying the rims caused the problems. The sad thing is, had the OP put the factory rims on ahead of time, all this could have been avoided. Maybe there's an appeal process in the contract.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Federal law, specifically the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, makes it illegal to refuse warranty service unless the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer. This means if putting the wheels on the vehicle caused the damage, they can refuse to repair. Otherwise they have to honor the warranty.

You can file a complaint with the FTC and sue the warranty company. The law allows recovery of court costs and attorney fees. Car dealers and warrany coompanies are very familiar with this law and saying the words "Magnusson-Moss" usually gets the service manager to come around and do the right thing.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...#Magnuson-Moss
Old 02-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by flydog
Federal law, specifically the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, makes it illegal to refuse warranty service unless the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer. This means if putting the wheels on the vehicle caused the damage, they can refuse to repair. Otherwise they have to honor the warranty.
Since the OP has not indicated what's in his warranty, what's covered, etc. it's very hard to determine what all the problems are and what appeal process there is, if any. Suggesting the MM Act is, at best, premature. Some people think mentioning the MM Act to a warranty company is the same as holding up a crucifix to a vampire. The OP should go through the appeal process as defined by the warranty company.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikePA
No one wants to take responsibility and they want to blame someone else, like lawyers, for their problems. Apparently, it must be a new concept to some that when you sign a contract, you agree to abide by the terms. If you don't like the terms, don't sign the contract.

A clause that states "do not modify past factory" is not hard to understand.

No one, including me, is saying the rims caused the problems. The sad thing is, had the OP put the factory rims on ahead of time, all this could have been avoided. Maybe there's an appeal process in the contract.

actually i tried telling the warranty i bought the car with the 05 TL rims on the car already but all they told me was then the dealer has the give me my money back that i paid for the warranty because there not held responsible... but i cant do that since i didnt buy the car with those rims on...

and i know for a fact that all the things wrong with my car where not caused by the rims, but i dont think $900 is worth paying a lawyer for, im pretty sure i can win, but i dont want that warranty anymore, knowing the'll be looking for any reason to void my warranty... lik for putting a deck in the car, alarm..