Transmission disgust and outrage

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission disgust and outrage

I have read countless threads about transmissions and I am just outraged. Some of you have had 3 transmissions replaced and you're still sticking with your TL's. Thats loyalty!!!

I want to write to Honda Motor Corp and really voice my disgust over these problems. My transmission just started that dreadful grinding noise and that annoying shutter between 20-30 MPH again. Yes again!! This will be my 3rd tranny if I decide to get it replaced. Are there numbers to call? Whats the address? Lets do a YOUTUBE video on this crap. This is insane and I personally can't take it anymore.

When I called the dealer to speak of the problem, they told me about 4,000 to replace. Are you kidding me? Who in the heck has that kind of money to throw out. $4,000??????? I asked the Service Advisor about goodwill and customer loyalty. He gave me a blank stare and repeated the answer,"It will be $4000 sir". I swear to you I wanted to jump across that counter and ring his neck. I felt a rush of HATE that that consumed my every thought and I was seconds from grabbing.

I know the car is a little old but I would like to do something to brinng this to light. I don't want to buy a new car and those of us that are LOYAL to the Honda brand are quickly getting turned off. What can I do? How should I show Honda my disgust and outrage? Can I interview you guys when I start my investigation?
Old 09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Wow you're a little late to the party. Acura has extended the warranty on the tranny and most of us have either received a free tranny or if out of the mileage/timeframe, have only had to pay for labor.

My (as well as most on this board) would suggest you call Acura customer care, explain your issue. Be extremely nice and explain that this is your 3rd tranny, that you are a loyal Acura/Honda owner, and the experience with your service advisor.

Writing letters are fine but I wouldn't expect anything other than a nice letter back stating that they are evaluating each tranny issue one at a time.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 AM
5th Gear

I'm going through the disgust/outrage routine currently (full details of my story are posted in the main tranny thread). I'm on my 3rd tranny, replaced under recall, and it is dead after 100K (replaced at 56K, 156K on my 2000 TL now). The service manager at the dealer is talking to the Acura rep about goodwill, but I'm told it doesn't look good. I called Acura customer service and was told it's all up to the regional Acura rep, nothing they can do. And no one will allow me to speak directly to the rep. I'm not looking to tear his head off, but I want to impress onto him that Honda/Acura is about to lose a customer for life. I don't want them to give me everything under the sun, but Acura is supposed to be a luxury brand. I expect them to stand behind a dead tranny, even at 100K, given its spotty history. We're not talking about a Hyundai here. Goodwill should also be measured in how much business they stand to lose here. My immediate family owns 2 Acuras and 3 Hondas all from the same dealer. Acura can stand to give a little now so as not to lose a lot in the future. Anyway, my $.02. Good luck with your car OP.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Read the Tranny Failure Thread for strategies on getting goodwill coverage:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/tranny-failure-thread-566833/

One important step is to talk to the dealership's "Service Manager". You don't want to talk to a service advisor.

Be courteous and friendly since the goodwill coverage is discretionary. If the service manager senses that you want to reach across the counter and ring his neck, he might be less inclined to help you out.

As mentioned above, you can also call Acura's national customer care group and ask for help. They can assign you a case number.

What year is your TL and how many miles are on it?

If you have a 2003 TL, is it in the covered VIN group?

Do you have a salvage title?
Old 09-24-2009, 01:33 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura would not goodwill my trans at 165K when they replaced it 2 times all-ready b4 this.. I did not even ask for a free trans just 50/50 I was willing to pay $2000 but they refused and I bought the car new and my family also owns 2 acura's , sister is on her 2nd TSX lease and still no help.. They pick and choose who the want to help instead of helping no one or everyone.. I had all tranny service done at DLR and 80% of oil changes done ther and never got a goodwill tranny , my first was under warrenty and second was replaced under extended warrenty which I payed for so technically acura has not gave me a "free" tranny and I was not even asking for a free tranny just some help.... I am also in the process of writing acura a letter do u have the address?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Hey, i asked for goodwill at my dealer and he asked me, "what's the heck is that?" i just said never mind and got my tranny rebuilt instead for 3.2k. i hate acura and i will never buy another car from them