transmission alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007 | 04:53 AM
1st Gear

transmission alternatives

ok due to a flood my car now has a salvage title and is now out of warranty with 84k miles on it and if my transmission craps out I can expect to pay the Acura dealer 3-4k for another one. Even then the new transmission can die after 30 k miles ( what the warranty would cover)

I have a 2002 acura TL Type S and already had the transmission replaced at 40k miles and I am thinking of what are my options if my transmission does crap out again.

I am willing to spend around 3k.

I know I can do the CLS 6 speed conversion but I dont want to pay over 5k to get it done. There is no way I can do it myself either.

Is there such thing as a aftermarket transmission ? one that is more reliable than the one honda produces? if so how much can I expect to pay with labor for one?

possible engine swap? I dont know much about this but at this point I dont care if I have to put in a freaking civic engine with transmission just as long as I can get my car running without having to worry about it dying on me . what are my options and how much would i expect to pay?

Last option would be selling the car. One I do not want to do cause I will be taking a big hit on the price.

If there is a fix I would like to know even if it means losing power on the car.
Old 04-16-2007 | 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by supraznki
ok due to a flood my car now has a salvage title and is now out of warranty with 84k miles on it and if my transmission craps out I can expect to pay the Acura dealer 3-4k for another one. Even then the new transmission can die after 30 k miles ( what the warranty would cover)
So far we dont know if the new ones will fail or not. So far they arent.

Originally Posted by supraznki
possible engine swap? I dont know much about this but at this point I dont care if I have to put in a freaking civic engine with transmission just as long as I can get my car running without having to worry about it dying on me . what are my options and how much would i expect to pay?
You think this would be cheaper than a 6 speed swap? Honestly, i know your looking for answers, but be realistic.

Honestly, Your options are limited. You can pay the dealer price for a trans. OR you can go to any trans rebuild shop and have them rebuild it with the latest parts, and get what ever warranty they offer. There arent any known trans that are better than the factory unit.

Last option, is if your that worried about ti sell the car.
Old 04-16-2007 | 09:51 AM
Drifting