Tranny Failure Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009 | 09:47 PM
2nd Gear

My tranny blow last Sunday at 105200 miles! I did all my service at the same Acura Dealerships and my both my parents purchase an Acura from the same dealer. The last time I did a trans fluid replacement was at 77k, and oil change at 102K now their telling me my warranty ended at 105K and they will only cover 50% tranny replacement! So I have to shell out $1700 plus tax, to get it fixed. I'm the 2nd owner of the 03 TL-S and a recall was done already for the 1st owner! Plus the dealership sold me a warranty that doesn't even cover the tranny! So since I have no warranty left (went over 200 miles), they told me the offer is non-negotiable! I don’t have $1700 and I have to go to work! So most likely I’m going to be stuck on the highway calling a tow truck any time now!
Old 02-25-2009 | 10:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ghost00xx
My tranny blow last Sunday at 105200 miles! I did all my service at the same Acura Dealerships and my both my parents purchase an Acura from the same dealer. The last time I did a trans fluid replacement was at 77k, and oil change at 102K now their telling me my warranty ended at 105K and they will only cover 50% tranny replacement! So I have to shell out $1700 plus tax, to get it fixed. I'm the 2nd owner of the 03 TL-S and a recall was done already for the 1st owner! Plus the dealership sold me a warranty that doesn't even cover the tranny! So since I have no warranty left (went over 200 miles), they told me the offer is non-negotiable! I don’t have $1700 and I have to go to work! So most likely I’m going to be stuck on the highway calling a tow truck any time now!
Is your 2003 TL in the VIN number group that is not covered by the 109,000 mile extended warranty?

Did you talk to the Service Manager or a Service Advisor?

If you talked to the Service Manager, did you try calling Acura's Customer Care group? Sometimes they will get involved.
Old 02-25-2009 | 11:14 PM
2nd Gear

I first talked to a Service Advisor over the phone, and he told me my warranty was up and he gave me the number to Acura Customer care! Customer service said I had to get my vehicle checked out to verify it was the tranny. So I made an appointment with the dealership that I purchased my car from. The Service manager of that dealership called me talking about getting the vehicle diagnosis to make sure it was a tranny issue. I got it checked out and Customer care gave me the offer for 50%. I tried talking to the service manager about the offer but he was short with me, saying he can’t do anything about it and Acura already made the decision! How do I check about the VIN number group?

Old 02-26-2009 | 10:28 AM
Team Owner

try doing some research online and read this threads last few pages
You totally jumped the gun dealing with corp,,, but it can be fixed

your 03 is past the vin range--so what!~ and the service writer is wrong!!! its 109 k miles and some vins get odometer error to 114.5, so tell them to bite you~

The car must be diagnosed by the dealer as trans failure- you cant negotiate an unknown!!!!!!!!!!!!
Corp will work with you- 500 labor and 300 for a 3/36 warranty is the standard for `out of vin` cars
Old 02-26-2009 | 10:28 AM
Team Owner

it doesnt matter where you bought the car or if you are the 5th owner- warranty is about the car not the driver
Old 02-26-2009 | 11:02 PM
A-SPEC DUDE

HI GUYS .IT DID IT 3 TIMES TODAY. this morning leaving for work -18c 400 feet d5 flashing tcs on, stop car cycle key on/off 2 times evrything ok cept check engine lite still on from last week. did it again at lunch time and again at end of day when leaving work car plugged in and -25c. last time i had it checked codes were P0-700 & P1750. guess im looking for real trouble soon maybe. nothing to do but wait and see i guess. ill schedule
appointment to get codes reset and checked agin. any thoughts.
Old 02-27-2009 | 10:46 AM
Team Owner

code reset wont fix a trans problem
Work on your people skills and go ask for some goodwill assistance from the Service MANAGER
Old 03-02-2009 | 05:03 PM
Intermediate

Hey guys, my 00 tl-p is starting to fail and its out of warranty now. I'm just wondering if there have been an successful canadian goodwills that have happened for out of warranty cars
Old 03-03-2009 | 10:29 AM
1st Gear

I am new today. I have read a lot of good info on your knowledge of tranny prob's. I just bought a 01 CL S 174000 miles and the tranny only went about 10 miles and started jerking and vsa d5 and check eng light all came on and eventually tranny would not go. I pulled into a lot for a few minutes shut it off and restarted and went another mile or two and it happened again. Shut it off restarted and got it home doing same thing several more times. My question is this, is there a bandaid approach that will let me doctor this tranny to run it thru an auction? Something that will let it seem fine for 5 or 20 miles if driven ? It will be a dealer only auction so it's not like I am trying to screw a personal buyer like myself. I had no clue about these tranny troubles until I went online today.WOW> I know I will run from Acura's now on. I can't afford a reman. Is it expensive to rebuild one yourself and if not how techy do i need to be??
Thanks Kevin
Old 03-03-2009 | 11:08 AM
Team Owner

someone else used up the `get it thru auction` on this car already~

It can be rebuilt by a skilled tech with some special tools, otherwise its 2500+ for a rebuild

My sig had never been more appropriate!
Old 03-05-2009 | 03:21 PM
Intermediate

So, i just called customer relations today and their unwilling to cover anything because i bought the car used that was already out of warranty. I am pretty pissed right now
Old 03-05-2009 | 03:36 PM
hates the winter

Originally Posted by kshugo
I am new today. I have read a lot of good info on your knowledge of tranny prob's. I just bought a 01 CL S 174000 miles and the tranny only went about 10 miles and started jerking and vsa d5 and check eng light all came on and eventually tranny would not go. I pulled into a lot for a few minutes shut it off and restarted and went another mile or two and it happened again. Shut it off restarted and got it home doing same thing several more times. My question is this, is there a bandaid approach that will let me doctor this tranny to run it thru an auction? Something that will let it seem fine for 5 or 20 miles if driven ? It will be a dealer only auction so it's not like I am trying to screw a personal buyer like myself. I had no clue about these tranny troubles until I went online today.WOW> I know I will run from Acura's now on. I can't afford a reman. Is it expensive to rebuild one yourself and if not how techy do i need to be??
Thanks Kevin
That's messed up. Someone will have to pay to have it replaced. My advice is to find a used transmisson and have it installed, then sell the car.
Old 03-05-2009 | 06:07 PM
1st Gear

My transmission just went. I missed the transmission change date by 6000km (4000mi) so they are not covering anything. I bought my 2003 TL through an Acura dealer used. (I originally went to test drive a 2004 CSX) but the salesman talked me into the 2003 TL.
Should he not have disclosed the transmission issues on this car? I feel like i've been totally screwed by Acura.
Old 03-05-2009 | 08:02 PM
1st Gear

helping out mom

hello all!

holy cow 53 pages! i've read through the first 3 and last 3 but maybe you guys can help me (and my mom) out.

my mother owns a 2000 acura tl w/ 55k miles on it. she told me one day that it was driving scary, so i took it into the dealer for her. they've had the car for a couple of weeks now, telling me that they wanted someone from acura to take a look at it.

so they tell me it needs a new transmission ($4k) but that acura is so kind and generous enough to pay for 75% of it. they told me that the transmission warranty was extended but my mom was out of it by 1 year (though under it w/ 55k miles). something seemed fishy about the whole thing so i jump on google and here i am.

obviously the car is crap. i'm trying to save my mom some money and want to know if any of you have had success in getting transmissions that were out of warranty replaced for free?

is 75% her best deal or should we fight acura to the death?

any help/advice would be great! thanks!
Old 03-05-2009 | 08:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by eugenekim87
hello all!

holy cow 53 pages! i've read through the first 3 and last 3 but maybe you guys can help me (and my mom) out.

my mother owns a 2000 acura tl w/ 55k miles on it. she told me one day that it was driving scary, so i took it into the dealer for her. they've had the car for a couple of weeks now, telling me that they wanted someone from acura to take a look at it.

so they tell me it needs a new transmission ($4k) but that acura is so kind and generous enough to pay for 75% of it. they told me that the transmission warranty was extended but my mom was out of it by 1 year (though under it w/ 55k miles). something seemed fishy about the whole thing so i jump on google and here i am.

obviously the car is crap. i'm trying to save my mom some money and want to know if any of you have had success in getting transmissions that were out of warranty replaced for free?

75% coverage for an out-of-warranty car is is decent deal. Some have done better but it's a hit or miss thing. Others have done worse.

Did you speak to the Service Manager? That's the best person to talk to at the dealer.

Did you try calling Acura's 1-800 Customer Care group? Sometimes they can step in to help out.

You might be able to get better coverage by doing one or more of the above.

Read the last ten pages of this thread for some additional ideas and strategies.
Old 03-05-2009 | 10:25 PM
Burning Brakes

hello all!

Technically speaking, you are out of the extended warranty, so anything they are giving you is very generous of them. That being said, I recently got a new tranny 100% goodwilled on a 99 TL with 98k miles....but I paid for new motor mounts (300) and contributed 100 so that i could get a 3 yr/36k mile warranty on the new tranny.

just want to confirm you are in the US, canadians have a different deal i think.
Old 03-06-2009 | 02:49 AM
S E L L

hello all!

I think that's a fair deal but you may want to speak to the service manager to see if they can help out a little more considering it's such a low mileage car. By the way the car is NOT crap. Aside from the transmission the car runs like a champ and is one of most reliable cars your mom will own. Speak to the service manager politely but insist that he make the extra effort, politely. If you start ranting and throwing a tantrum they'll pull the initial offer away completely and not help you at all and rightfully so.
Old 03-08-2009 | 09:01 PM
2nd Gear

Advice please

First things first 01tl4tl you do a great service here on the forum and i just wanted to give you props for it. Seems like every third post if from you and you never seem to get frustrated from the same questions that where most likely answered the page before, you have more patience than me my friend.

Heres my problem, i purchaced my '03 TL-S with 73,000 miles from a acura dealer about 4 months ago(ruffly 5,000 miles since then) after my EG hatch was finally successfully stolen. I always loved the 2nd Gen TL and picked one up because i figured i wouldnt have to worry about it not being there when i woke up to go to work. Turns out i had a different worry. Last week it slipped for the first time and not 50 miles later was almost completely lost. I took it into the closest dealer (not the one i bought it from) because i didnt think it would make the trip. I explained to them the problem and they informed me that it was not covered under the warranty extenstion because of the manufacturing date/out of series vin.

I asked the dealer i bought the car from when i looked at it if it was under the warranty and recieved a casual SURE!! I explained all this to the service writer(not manager) and he told me that he would request a good faith repair. A few days later i recieved a phone call from the dealership telling me that Acura would cover half of the total cost 4800 total so $2400.

Is that the end all be all answer? Can i haggle the good faith responce? Could the dealership be ripping me off? Seems like 800 for replace and warranty seems to be standard for others in my position. I have the customer care # in my phone waiting for monday morning i thought maybe you could give me some advice. Thanks in advance to anyone who could help me out
Old 03-09-2009 | 02:31 PM
2nd Gear

Bummed

Called Acura today and pleaded my case, talked with three different people, they all told me it was the regional reps decision and they stand by it, they told me the federal government set the mark for the VIN numbers that where covered and they don’t have to do anything and that I’m fortunate for receiving the assistance I was offered. I’m at the end of my rope, any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-09-2009 | 04:32 PM
A-SPEC DUDE

Hi Yall;
Just an update, took my car in to acura dealer,roadtested it and confirmed blown tranny needs new one. Service mgr got writer to print up a quote.4800.00 ouch. He gave me corporates no and I called, spoke to very nice lady who confirmed that Acura cdn does in fact do goodwill on these tranny's. wanted copies of records of service and advised they would let me know. Here's hoping. All I can do is wait now and hope for the best. Many thanks to 01tl4tl for his very valuable insight.Hope Acura Canada looks after ppl same as US.new tranny for a few dollars on a 99 is unbelievable.
Old 03-09-2009 | 11:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by A-SPEC DUDE
Hi Yall;
Just an update, took my car in to acura dealer,roadtested it and confirmed blown tranny needs new one. Service mgr got writer to print up a quote.4800.00 ouch. He gave me corporates no and I called, spoke to very nice lady who confirmed that Acura cdn does in fact do goodwill on these tranny's. wanted copies of records of service and advised they would let me know. Here's hoping. All I can do is wait now and hope for the best. Many thanks to 01tl4tl for his very valuable insight.Hope Acura Canada looks after ppl same as US.new tranny for a few dollars on a 99 is unbelievable.
man your lucky! when i called acura for my 2000 they wouldn't cover anything. they said, because i bought the car used and already out of warranty.
Old 03-10-2009 | 03:09 AM
A-SPEC DUDE

Not really lucky as i dont have an answer yet nor do i have any idea wat they'll offer .besides my baby is an 03tl- a-spec with only 75,000mi on it.
Old 03-10-2009 | 07:34 PM
o.O

Does anyone work at any of the Acura dealerships in northern New Jersey? Going to be taking my car in this week or the next using my extended warranty to have the transmission serviced and would like it to go to good hands. Any help would greatly be appreciated! thanks

vic
Old 03-11-2009 | 05:39 PM
Intermediate

Have you tried another Acura dealer to resolve the transmission vs warranty issue? Each dealers are owned and operated independently, so another dealer may be able to do better favors for you to satisfied the consumer.

Another option is to write a letter to Acura Corp and plead your case and request. Sometimes a nicely and professionally written formal letter to upper management is more affective than a simple phone call.

Worth a try... Good luck!
Old 03-13-2009 | 09:51 AM
A-SPEC DUDE

Smile

:TRANNY UPDATE
Well i cinsider myself very fortunate at this point. CROWN ACURA in wpg.mb. just called;GREAT NEWS ACURA CANADA will cover all but 1395 plus13% taxes on reman.Very good. Acura CERTAINLY STEPPED UP by the time we account for
exchange on usd works out to be similar to the 500 +300 that guys in us are getting. do not know about warranty yet though. But at this point I can't complain. for all u canucks Acura cdn can and will help us out.BIG KEY just be VERY NICE to whomever u speak to.GREAT THANKS TO 01TL4TL FOR HIS VERY VALUABLE INSIGHT AND COMMENTS. UNDOUBTEDLY THE BEST RESOURCE IN THIS THREAD.https://acurazine.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
Old 03-13-2009 | 10:03 PM
2nd Gear

Honda had lawsuit for tranny. They are covering some of the 2003 tranny. My 03 TLS tranny failed at 50100miles and it is not covered under warranty extension. All the 2003 tranny is exactly same. Therefore, they should extend warranty for all. I will file lawsuit. Here is the link to check about your tranny. Just punch VIN
http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme...btnNext=Submit#
Old 03-13-2009 | 10:13 PM
2nd Gear

The problems with power train of automatic transmission of Acura and Honda cars during 2000 to 2003 were huge. It looks one investigation by NHTSA was completed prematurely in 2002 whereas problem continued till 2003 model and major complains are still coming now. Below is the list of complains filed by customers at the NHTSA site. It looks from Service Bulletin Number: 02-027 that Honda increased warranty on transmission to 7 years and 100,000 miles. When I contacted Honda for my 2003 Acura 3.2TL with 50,100 miles and transmission slipping problem, Honda is saying that warranty extension is VIN number specific and my car is not covered under extended warranty. I think all the cars for 2000-2003 should be asked to replace transmission. There are so many accidents due to tranny problems. What is use of tranny warranty extension if driver is dead? The investigation about problem should be reopened to solve complains of the customers. I am pushing to NHTSA to open case.

Power Train: Automatic Transmission complains on NHTSA. No problem from 2004

2000: 3.2TL – 51
2001: 3.2TL – 55
2002: 3.2TL – 92
2003: 3.2TL- 87
2004: 3.2TL- 1
2005: TL – 5
2006: TL- 1
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

select automatic transmission at the end and read all the complains about tranny.
Old 03-15-2009 | 01:32 PM
10th Gear

Hi guys, I have a 03 Tl-S with about 115 000 km on it, third owner.

Granted this is my first car and relatively new driver, I'm starting to be concerned I have a transmission problem.

At first I had strange acceleration and jerks between going 40 to 60kph. That problem has now subsided. However on the highway, I'm getting very strange upshifts and downshifts between the 80 to 105 kph range. Either noticeable delayed upshift, with rpm going to above 3000 to 4000 and then back down. It seems on the highway it can't keep a steady 85-95 kph speed for when traffic is going slow.

The weather up here has been erratic, going from -20 celsius to +10 celsius, and this problem seemed to happen around 0 celsius.

All my fluids are in check.

In Canada, if I do need to take the car to an Acura dealership for inspection, would I receive a loaner or rental car? This is vital I need to have a car.

I am currently 21 and still on a "G2" licence, would I qualify for a loaner?
Old 03-23-2009 | 08:53 PM
Cruisin'

i was driving home yesterday, and my rpm's shot up to redline, then came back down when shifting between 2 and 3rd gear with no pull. i'm guessing my trans is going soon. so my question is, since i dont have 3500 ( no goodwill since my car has 153,000 miles and is on its first tranny) could i just get it rebuilt by aamco and not have to worry about it for a while. and does driving using d5 kill the trans after awhile?
Old 03-23-2009 | 09:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sdiaz
i was driving home yesterday, and my rpm's shot up to redline, then came back down when shifting between 2 and 3rd gear with no pull. i'm guessing my trans is going soon. so my question is, since i dont have 3500 ( no goodwill since my car has 153,000 miles and is on its first tranny) could i just get it rebuilt by aamco and not have to worry about it for a while. and does driving using d5 kill the trans after awhile?
have u tried to get goodwill? your mileage is high but hey every little bit helps...

d5 doesn't kill your trans. AFAIK the problem is the 2-3 shift, so if u drive it all day in 5th gear you should be ok...

the aamco rebuild (especially if they just rebuild YOUR trans) won't have the redesigned case that (mostly) fixes the problem...so it is more likely to happen again.

Last edited by niju321; 03-23-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2009 | 04:15 PM
2nd Gear

Question 2003 TL Transmission Failure

AMAZING and unbelievable that Acura is sticking people. I went by all instruction and insight from this forum and

I have the exact same problems. Regional Rep told me they can give it to me at $2961 (without taxes) for a re manufacture with new internal parts. This car has only 80,000 miles on it. It was part of the recall and fixed in 05 (oil kit wand not a new trans).

Researching deeper at safecar.gov and nhtsa #10024664 on 2/5/08, there is a service bullentin posting for acura's 3.2 TL & 3.2 CL. It says warranty extensions automatic tramission NJ. Can someone explain what this means.

People are still having problems, with low miles and fail trans from the Acura brand, Unbelievable!
Old 03-24-2009 | 05:04 PM
o.O

acura failed on this car
Old 03-25-2009 | 10:47 AM
AZ Community Team

Tranny is Shot - FINALLY!!

'02 TL-S with ~75k miles/7yrs, 3 months.

Tranny was slipping a little bit the last couple of months; not all the time. It was also a bit jerky from time-to-time.

Then, Monday, it really went south in a hurry. Slipping and BIG jerks and clunks when it changed gears - scared the crap out of me everytime it made one of those big "clunk & jerk" shifts.

Driving to the dealership was an ordeal - very nerve racking with cars following and trans decides to JERK out of gear, slip, etc. I didn't think I'd make it. About halfway there the guage cluster lit up like a christmas tree - CEL, vsa, VSA/TC - and the car went into "limp mode".

Left it at the dealer and got an '09 FWD TL w/Tech as a loaner. Confirmed yesterday that the tranny is shot and the new/rebuilt one is completely covered under warranty extension.

The new/rebuild will have a 12 month/12k mile warranty.

I have an extended warranty (Acura Care?) that runs through April 2011. Will the new/rebuild be covered until then by the extended warranty?

Old 03-25-2009 | 11:35 AM
o.O

I cant seem to find the post where people have discussed their issue when changing the oil in their tranny, then not far after the transmission fails. Anyone have a milage that the transmission failed after they changed the fluid?
Old 03-25-2009 | 12:00 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ProjectTLS
I cant seem to find the post where people have discussed their issue when changing the oil in their tranny, then not far after the transmission fails. Anyone have a milage that the transmission failed after they changed the fluid?

Acura did a 4 qt fluid change for me at 66,300 last April. Tranny failed at ~75,000 miles.

Old 03-25-2009 | 03:01 PM
2nd Gear

Trans Failure

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Acura did a 4 qt fluid change for me at 66,300 last April. Tranny failed at ~75,000 miles.

Bearcat94 - Why is your Trans covered under warranty. Was it an original recall or you purchase an extended warranty? I really trying to help my case. Thanks for your response......
Old 03-25-2009 | 03:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Ylime
Bearcat94 - Why is your Trans covered under warranty. Was it an original recall or you purchase an extended warranty? I really trying to help my case. Thanks for your response......
Still within the original warranty. It was a recall tranny and it did get inspected and have the oil jet cooler thingy added on, but had not been replaced.

The OE warranty was extended due to the recalls. Then extended again due to the Class Action law suit against American Honda for faulty/over-stated odometer readings.

The full OE original warranty period under these circumstances was 109,000 miles or 7 years 9 months, whichever comes first. I am well within the mileage, but only 6 months left on the time.

Look here:

http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme...f/caht1faq.pdf

http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme...php/login.php#

Old 03-25-2009 | 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bearcat94

'02 TL-S with ~75k miles/7yrs, 3 months.

Tranny was slipping a little bit the last couple of months; not all the time. It was also a bit jerky from time-to-time.

Then, Monday, it really went south in a hurry. Slipping and BIG jerks and clunks when it changed gears - scared the crap out of me everytime it made one of those big "clunk & jerk" shifts.

Driving to the dealership was an ordeal - very nerve racking with cars following and trans decides to JERK out of gear, slip, etc. I didn't think I'd make it. About halfway there the guage cluster lit up like a christmas tree - CEL, vsa, VSA/TC - and the car went into "limp mode".

Left it at the dealer and got an '09 FWD TL w/Tech as a loaner. Confirmed yesterday that the tranny is shot and the new/rebuilt one is completely covered under warranty extension.

The new/rebuild will have a 12 month/12k mile warranty.

I have an extended warranty (Acura Care?) that runs through April 2011. Will the new/rebuild be covered until then by the extended warranty?

When mine was replaced they were about to goodwill the whole thing until I asked for the 3/36 warranty. If your Acura Care doesn't cover your new trans, you may want to inquire about that--I paid $100 and got an extra 2 years of sleeping well at night.
Old 03-28-2009 | 08:24 PM
5th Gear

Like a number of others who have posted here, I am new to this list and new to Acura. I bought my '03 TL-S about three weeks ago,from a used car dealer (non-Acura) having only 62k on it. It seems to run well, at the moment. As we have no Acura dealers near where we live (closest is about 80 miles away), I took it to a nearby Honda for an oil change and asked him if it looked like the original tranny. He told me it was.

I have looked at the Honda Settlement website and entered my VIN. My vehicle is apparenty NOT in the class settlement.

IEven though the car is currenly running well, I am planning to make the drive to an Acura dealer to get the tranny inspected to see if there is gear discoloration. Do we need to wait for the tranny to actually fail before 'going pre-emptive?' Eighty miles would be a long way to drive in limp mode if I have to drive it all the way there after it fails...
Old 03-28-2009 | 08:31 PM
o.O

Originally Posted by WhiteNite
Like a number of others who have posted here, I am new to this list and new to Acura. I bought my '03 TL-S about three weeks ago,from a used car dealer (non-Acura) having only 62k on it. It seems to run well, at the moment. As we have no Acura dealers near where we live (closest is about 80 miles away), I took it to a nearby Honda for an oil change and asked him if it looked like the original tranny. He told me it was.

I have looked at the Honda Settlement website and entered my VIN. My vehicle is apparenty NOT in the class settlement.

IEven though the car is currenly running well, I am planning to make the drive to an Acura dealer to get the tranny inspected to see if there is gear discoloration. Do we need to wait for the tranny to actually fail before 'going pre-emptive?' Eighty miles would be a long way to drive in limp mode if I have to drive it all the way there after it fails...

IMO i'd leave it as it is. Acura wont cover you and to inspect your tranny they will charge you a diagnosis fee of 100-200. Youll more than likley waste your time and money. My suggestion is start looking for an extended warranty. Warranty direct has some good ones and they are suggested by edmunds. Someone else may have a different opinion, but this ones just mine.

Quick Reply: Tranny Failure Thread