TL vibrates/shakes over 70

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL vibrates/shakes over 70

I have had my TL since august 2011 and in may this year, my front right ball joint/axle broke. The parts were replaced, but now when I get to around 70, my car starts to shake and vibrate. if I get to 80, it starts making vibrating sounds. I have only done this a couple times to see the extent of the issue, and I was hoping that someone could give me some advice as to what the problem might be. Would an alignment fix the problem? any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Intermediate

Are the tires speed balanced? I'd defiently get the car aligned.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Islandbanker
Are the tires speed balanced? I'd defiently get the car aligned.
I am not sure about this speed balance you speak of. I did not have any issues before the axle broke (i have gone 130 with a smooth ride) however when the axle broke, the tire was turned sideways as it dragged along the road ( I was only going 10mph.) could this have caused this particular tire to become unbalanced?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
^yes, have the tire balanced.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
^yes, have the tire balanced.
So I should get the tire balanced and also the car alligned or just tire balanced?
And could you give me some price estimates?
Thanks for the help.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:31 PM

^have all 4 tires balanced.
no need to spend on the alignment just yet.
the balance shouldnt cost more than 25 buxx.
The following users liked this post:
jdubbs11ghost (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

The drag could have knocked off a weight from the tire. Not sure, but better to play it safe. You can feel a poor tire balance at high speeds. Just remember whenever you affect the front end i.e. replacean axle, hit a pot hole, it can affect the way the car handles.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Islandbanker
The drag could have knocked off a weight from the tire. Not sure, but better to play it safe. You can feel a poor tire balance at high speeds. Just remember whenever you affect the front end i.e. replacean axle, hit a pot hole, it can affect the way the car handles.
Correct!
if it were me, Id get all 4 tires balanced.
then if you still have any issues, then go for the alignment
Old 09-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Originally Posted by jdubbs11ghost
I am not sure about this speed balance you speak of. I did not have any issues before the axle broke (i have gone 130 with a smooth ride) however when the axle broke, the tire was turned sideways as it dragged along the road ( I was only going 10mph.) could this have caused this particular tire to become unbalanced?

Hey Jdubbs, just how many miles are on the TL now ?

Must've been quite a sensation dragging the tire sideways down the road, aye ?
Surely you had noticed some noises or vibration before this happened !

Did you simply just replace only the ball joint and axle, not doing anything more at the time ? That impact and force could've very easiy caused futher damage, not only to the car itself.....but you, if travelling at a higher speed.

If everything else was properly inspected at the time for damage, then it may be that the replacement axle is causing some vibration or even the wheel bearing.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Hey Jdubbs, just how many miles are on the TL now ?

Must've been quite a sensation dragging the tire sideways down the road, aye ?
Surely you had noticed some noises or vibration before this happened !

Did you simply just replace only the ball joint and axle, not doing anything more at the time ? That impact and force could've very easiy caused futher damage, not only to the car itself.....but you, if travelling at a higher speed.

If everything else was properly inspected at the time for damage, then it may be that the replacement axle is causing some vibration or even the wheel bearing.
My TL has almost hit 180,xxx and yes, it was a bit of a weird sensation. There was no vibration or noise before this incident, and there was no further damage, as I was going, at most, 10 mph (turning around in a school zone). Although I could not give you the name of the part, but there was something that took all of the pressure off of the rest of the car and saved the front body and the belly of my TL (Thank God), but I was told by the professional mechanics (Dr. Automotive) that there was nothing I could have done to see it coming. If after I get my tires balanced and car aligned I still have issues, I will pm you. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
^have all 4 tires balanced.
no need to spend on the alignment just yet.
the balance shouldnt cost more than 25 buxx.
Its going to cost more than 25 bucks to get all 4tires balanced.. i work at a service center as an attendant while im going to school right now so i balance a lot of tires in a day... usually if your doing all 4 they might give you a bundle package around like 50 bucks, considering that when i mount a new tire and then balance it its around 16 to 20 bucks depending on whether or not the wheel takes tape weights or regular ones. But i would expect to spend around 50 bucks considering a tire rotation runs around 26 bucks.. and from the symptoms you posted its most likely your tires that need to be balanced.
The following users liked this post:
jdubbs11ghost (09-19-2012)