Temp gauge issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Temp gauge issue

Good afternoon all, looking for some help!

I'm having an issue with the temp gauge, I've searched on here for answers, but I just can't seem to find anyone else having the same as me. It's a bit of a long story, I apologize, but just want to get as much info out there as possible.

So I have an 02 TL S with Navi. On Sunday, my temp gauge started acting up. I noticed the the temp on the gauge was about 3/4 of the way up. I had been driving on the highway with the AC on for about an hour with no issues. Then the AC seemed to not be working as it should, that's when I noticed the temp had gone up quite a bit. Shut the AC off, got off the highway at the next exit, shut the car off. The temp on the gauge was pretty high when I shut it off, so I turned the ignition to the on position and the temp gauge went right up to normal operating temp, not really high like it showed when it was running. The engine, radiator, and upper hose, did not feel unusually hot to the touch. Felt normal to me. Almost as if it really didn't overheat. I let the car sit for about 45 minutes in the shade to allow it to cool down. Started it back up and the gauge was reading normal operating temp. Remained that way until I got back on the highway, and then it started going back up to just below the red, then right back down to normal, just under the halfway point. It did this a few more times, temp goes up, temp goes down, and quickly. Wasn't climbing slowly, nor was it dropping slowly. Next I got off the highway again and let the car cool down completely. Coolant levels are spot on....radiator is full, reservoir is full. Started the car and let it idle for a bit. Both fans kicked in, after a few minutes. While idling, the temp gauge stayed just below half way. Drove it on the highway for about another 60-90 minutes and it stayed just below halfway the whole time. Once I stopped again, it spiked within seconds. Started driving again and it went right back down. I drove it to and from work yesterday, and a bit of running around, so about another 80 miles or so, with no issues. I decided to try it with the AC on for a bit, still nothing. Until I hit traffic. Then it started to climb again, and as soon as I started moving, it would immediately drop back down. Does anyone have any idea of what might be causing this? Thanks in advance for any help
Old 07-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
When the gauge doesn't get a signal, it defaults to maxing out. So the problem is likely a loose connection between ECU Output A31 and the gauge cluster input.
The following users liked this post:
2002Type-S (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 09:29 AM
Intermediate

I'm thinking it may be the radiator, but I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind, if the radiator does not fix the issue. Either way, the radiator needs to be replaced. I was looking things over again yesterday and discovered that the right half of the radiator was hot, couldn't keep my hand on it for more than 5-10 seconds without feeling like it was gonna burn me. The left half, was warm, but I could have kept my hand there all day. Radiator is plugged. Have to wait a couple days for the radiator, but once I get that in, if I'm still having problems, I'll look into the connections. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
uninstall radiator; run water through with garden hose.
2002Type-S (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

Yeah? You think that will clear up whatever is blocking it?
Old 07-19-2017, 04:16 PM
Intermediate

It sure as hell sounds logical. I already ordered a radiator, got a Denso for cheap cheap cheap so I might as well put the new one in, but I may just try that out to see if it works!
justnspace (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 04:40 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
if already bought denso, you're good!

but in future, running water from garden hose might dislodge the rust in there
Old 07-19-2017, 06:54 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
OEM radiators are so cheap for our cars, I would just replace it and forget it.