Tein SS Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:21 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Tein SS Issues

Alright. So I'm on Tein SS coilovers, set all the way down as of last week. This happend sometimes before, but not nearly as frequent. Whenever I go over a moderate bump or sharp dip, I get a loud metal on metal clunk and when this happens, I get no more suspension travel. Are my springs bottoming out? Upper control arm hitting something? I don't think the struts are blown, they ride just fine. Also, damper is set all they way stiff to try to prevent this problem, but it doesn't. (the ride doesn't bother me) Please help, I can't stand it!!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
so you have the stiffness set full right- clockwise? thats too tight to move!
The thunk and bump is because you are lower than the design height adjustment for your car on teins- they can go about an inch either way from the mid point setting you start with. Drop them and you may be on the bump stops or damaging the internals
Old 07-22-2008, 09:14 PM
-Arsenic-

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
The thunk and bump is because you are lower than the design height adjustment for your car on teins- they can go about an inch either way from the mid point setting you start with. Drop them and you may be on the bump stops or damaging the internals
I thought of that too, but I am not the only one this low on Teins, there are many others and this is the first I have heard ofhis issue. And yea, stiffness full clockwise. It isn't that bad.

And if Tein didn't design coilovers to be set this low, then they shouldn't be able to adjust this low. Thats retarted.

This is frustrating
Old 07-23-2008, 06:36 PM
KidWiTh2kTL

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i had the same problem. if you pop the hood and look at where the suspension is connected. it shouldn't be center. i had a common issue that it came loose. i had the same problem so you should just check it out and it should go away. you gotta raise your car all the way up and tighten the bolts.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Keep it flush!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02type-s
Alright. So I'm on Tein SS coilovers, set all the way down as of last week. This happend sometimes before, but not nearly as frequent. Whenever I go over a moderate bump or sharp dip, I get a loud metal on metal clunk and when this happens, I get no more suspension travel. Are my springs bottoming out? Upper control arm hitting something? I don't think the struts are blown, they ride just fine. Also, damper is set all they way stiff to try to prevent this problem, but it doesn't. (the ride doesn't bother me) Please help, I can't stand it!!

damm if your the one asking for help, it has to be serious..
Old 07-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Agree. Just because a fat person can squeeze into spandex doesnt mean they should. It sounds like your bottoming it out. Also look where the top hats are to make sure every thing is still bolted up correctly
Old 07-23-2008, 10:31 PM
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 02type-s

And if Tein didn't design coilovers to be set this low, then they shouldn't be able to adjust this low. Thats retarted.

This is frustrating
Yeah. I agree. Pretty much slamming it all the way is reducing the integrity of the system. It's a trade-off. I'd follow the previous suggestions and just raise it up little bit by little bit. It's a pain, but every bit matters. I'm about 5 threads up and have bottomed out once going down a pretty progressive dip. Pretty much coilovers are made to set it all the way to the bottom when you're ready to track the car, where tracks have smooth surface. I feel ya though with the frustration.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Drifting

hmm that does sound weird, ive had mine dumped all the way down for quite sometime, no problems what so ever, the tein isnt really meant to be dumped all the way, dumb I know, you may have fucked something up, id check it out, and see whats up. From my experience the dampening adjustment on the teins doesnt do shit for the rebound. Sounds like you should look into ksports, which are meant to be dumped.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

Im getting Tein SS with replacement springs, i hope that rides pretty well. With all these little minor issues, they get me alittle worried at times......but i should be fine right? But in general the Teins SS should ride good compared to the Basics? I want that stock feel but not bumpy and stiffish ride, unlike some cheap coilovers. I rode in one of my friends car with K-sports when he first got them, and i didnt like the ride quality. The wheel had too much rebound, and when you hit a bump it would just bump up and down too much and give you a bumpy feel in the car.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:03 AM
-Arsenic-

UPDATE- I had my camber kits adjusted and the sound went away for the most part. Only does it now on huge bumps.

Thanks for the help guys, and in the future I am looking into K-Sports. A few things I have planned first tho. hehe
Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
im having the same problem but i just installed mine, i saw ur post on the CL side. are you getting the new endlinks?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:22 PM
2damndvs4uhaters

Hey im on tein basics feel great, im about 3/4 inch form the bottom of the coilover. My ride feels smooth, but every now and then when i hit a deep pothole i feel the same thing. Ill go get an alighnment tuesday, and see if its the camber kit.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Same with me. It's probably the fact that the springs are not compressed in "shock" without the load of the car on them. When SS's are at the lowest setting and the car is off the ground, the spring has like 2 inches to move up and down... So when the car is going over a bump and the shock absorbs it, the spring bounces just enough in the shock. Metal shocks on metal pillow balls just makes it that much louder. At least that's my theory. When my car was raised 4x4 style on the coilovers for a day, it didn't make any clunking noises.