Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:30 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Issues

Here's my problem...

When the car is stopped, or at low speed (turn in a parking lot) the steering is fine. However, at lower speeds 20-60 MPH, the steering feels loose, and when the wheel is turned it almost feels like a slipping.... It's a little difficult to describe, but something is not right....

I recently ran into a bad mechanic situation where the lower control arm in the left front was changed, (4 times) as the mechanic kept putting non OEM part in, when they finally did, the problem stayed away... Struts were also replaced in this same incident as the left fron Strut went as well.... Understand there wasn't an accident, just a safety inspection... The error was in replacing the lower control arm at the garage, then the strut went... and I was trapped at the garage...when you get in so far, it was hard to leave, and subsquent control arms were replaced under warranty. Now I'm to the point where I am not going back to the same garage, but before I go somewhere else I'm trying to educate myself a little more...

So my question is, does it sound like a rack and pinion steering problem?? alignment? The car does not pull, but has slight vibration and the steering problem described above. I don't feel as it is a balancing problem as it occurs now with my winter tires and steel rims, the same as it did with my summer tires and alloy rims...

Any help you can offer would be appreciatted....

By the way, the garage was Canadian Tire... A simple Safety Check has caused me a lot of money and headaches (I've only given the Coles Notes version above concerning my expierience with the mechanic, it gets worse..)

Thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Well did this feeling all start after the garage did this work or after.

I dont really know what your trying to describe with the slipping feeling??? Can you try to describe any better whats really going on?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:31 AM
7th Gear

After the garage did the work.... It was supposed to have been aligned (4 wheel) and I found out after it wasn't... The garage supposedly aligned it after the last time the control arm was changed when the Honda part was put in...

To try and describe present symptoms better....

To check the CV joints I went to an empty parking lot and turned the wheel hard and made slow circles in each direction to try and hear any noise, none apparent...

Steering feels tight when doing this, and when car is stopped.

At 10-60 mph but mostly apparent at slow speeds, when steering wheel is turned it feels "loose", or almost like a "wobble", and the reason I used the "slipping" sensation... the steering wheel turns with no immediette response from the steering, as if there is "play", or like I tried to describe below "slipping".... The steering seems loose is the best way to describe it (once the car is moving)....

If the Camber was badly aligned, or the "mechanic" didn't lock the adjustments in place once the alignment was finished, could this cause it?? I hope I have better described it for you..... What do you think??
Old 01-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Senior Moderator

You would/should notice if the alignment was done wrong as teh car would probably pull one way or another.

If you feel something isnt right i would bring it back and complain to them and make them fix it on their dime till things are solved.

As for your "slipping" feeling???? Do you physically feel or hear a wobble or clunking while turning? If you do STOP driving the car.

Our cars have a variable speed sensitive steering that will take some of the slow speed responsiveness out so that its easier to control at higher speeds.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:34 AM
7th Gear

Little better description, hopefully

Yesterday I noticed that when the steering wheel is momentarily let go, it turns left and right by itself... and this would maybe relate to feelings of slipping which I poorly described earlier.... Could it be the Caster adjustment in the alignment??

Thanks for your help so far....
Old 01-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

To me that would indicate that the alignment is off (the TOE) or something is loose. I would bring it in to a better shop and have them look into it.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Cruisin'

Unhappy Steering Control Problem at Higher Speeds

Hi,

I'm adding onto this thread with my problem. Ever since I got my 2003 TL, used certified from the dealer, I have been uncomfortable with the steering at higher speeds.

The car always to feel like its drifting to one side or the other. Requiring constant minor corrections.

The dealer test drove the car last year after I complained and said everything was fine.

After nearly hydroplaning into a bridge during a rain storm, I got rid of those awful OEM tires for a set of Goodyear tripletreds. Complete realignment at that time.

These tires have helped, but here's the problem. The car handles like I'm driving with crosswinds at higher speeds.

It also feels like the front end is lifting up. The faster I go, the worse it gets.

Front end steering road contact around 70 is unnerving. at 80, I feel so loose, I feel like the front end is going to lift off.

I get the impression that so much air is being forced under the car, Its trying to go airborn.

Am I crazy???

Can anyone here help me out with this.

The warrenty is up so I'm stuck with what ever I got.

Thanks,

RJay
Old 04-15-2008, 03:02 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I think what both the guys having the problem are trying to say is that at low speeds and stopped the steering wheel feels tight and responsive to the drivers touch.... however, when getting up into higher speeds, the steering wheel doesn't feel as tight and responsive..... by this I am guessing that when they turn the wheel, the car does nothing and/or hesistates to respond to the command given (in this case, turning the wheel)...
If I am correct... then here are some possible solutions:
1. Get tires pressures up to spec
2. Get new tires (better traction)
3. Steering linkage needs to be replaced, repaired, tightened, etc.
4. Stearing gear needs to be replaced, repaired, tightened, etc.
5. Power steering fluid needs to be replaced, refilled, etc.

I hope this helps....