SRS Light Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:44 AM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
SRS Light Problem.

So since I bought my TL-S the SRS Light was On.
After reading the Resetting Procedure in the DIY Section about a hundred times I started doing it but quickly came a Problem.

After the 2nd Time the Light turn off and I remove the Clip the Light Wont Blink at All it Just Keep Turning On without any Blink it stays the same as always.

I have repeated the Process more than 20 Times and Nothing it just wont Blink at All.

Just to Clarify what I Did:
1.- Put the Clip on the SRS Plug
2.- Put the Key on ON (II) Position
3.- Wait until SRS Light Turn OFF and Unplug the Clip
4.- Wait until Light Turn Back ON and Quickly plug the Clip
5.- Wait until Light Turn Back OFF and when I Unplug the Clip the Light SHOULD BLINK TWICE but Nope It Doesn't It will just turn Back ON like nothing have happend.

Soo What the Hell is Going On???

Last edited by Skirmich; 04-26-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Sounds like it's time to go to the dealer to get a scan for the problem. Your airbags won't deploy when that's on. It may even be covered under an extended warranty.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
10/150 SRS special warranty on 5 of the 6 parts in system (approx numbers)
per service managers `get it in ..may be covered`

any idea why it was on when car purchased,,accident and repaired?
you may have a bag of newspaper and old tennis shoes as your safety~
Old 04-26-2011, 12:14 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRS light on

So I go to the dealer with my 2000 acura TL 3.2L and they say the OPDS unit was bad. They said it was no longer covered under warranty witch I think airbag systems should always be cover under warranty. Ok now the dealer wanted to charger me almost $2000 which is ridiculous and I don't want to spend that kind of money just for an airbag light. All I want to know is where the OPDS unit or sensor is on a 2000 acura TL on the side passenger seat. Oh and also the "side airbag" light comes on every so often.

PLEASE HELP any suggestions would be great
Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Yeah but I think any warranty by now (179K) is ended...
Since I heard the OPDS system was covered until 150K then they will try to Charge me some crazy Cost for that, Besides I dont think my OPDS detector is bad since It goes off like it should when someone leans on the door.

I´ll go to a Honda dealer to get the SRS checked anyway but I dont think its gonna be anything cheap, SRS Stuff usually isnt.
Awwww and I love how my MIL light is always Off but the Stupid SRS light has always hounted me.

FYI: The car has a Salvage Title sooo It must been in a Crash of some sort. None of wich I can visually Identify since the Last Owner must have repair it, When I bought it the Car was in Pristine Condition but the SRS Light was On, Never Asked the Owner how Stupid of Me really....

Last edited by Skirmich; 04-26-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
There's a bulletin about an issue w/ the pass. side OPDS. I remember it mentions that certain electronic devices (i. e. a laptop) connected to the pwr. pt. in the dash may cause a false SRS indication. I had intermittent SRS indications & the dealer connected his scanner to it & said it was the pass. OPDS sensor and/or unit (I forgot which). Since then I've stopped plugging my cellular charger into that port & no longer have the issue. Coincidence- ? Maybe, but so far so good.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
10 years or 150kmiles is the special srs/opds warranty...have no idea if still covered on salvage title and deployed airbags cars

I read on here recently the dealer has to reset something after airbag install?? is that correct gurus?
But this case- with bad Occupant detector diagnosis by dealer,,,multiple problems

seat guru's, is that in the upper section of passenger seat? got a DIY for the ziners in need?

Side airbag light On means occupant leaned out of place OR bad OPDS

there is a recall for some of us on the airbag inflator -
ck with acura care 1 800 382-2238x5 or ask at your dealer service dept
Old 01-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GOT THIS FROM ACURA WORD WHEN I GOOGLED OPDS DETECTOR....

I got this notice in the mail from Acura, even though I don't own an EL anymore. FYI, I had a 2001 EL, so this may apply to all 2001 EL's. Don't know if this applies to 2002-2005 models. The letter is follows (edited for pertinent content, as the full letter is quite long):

Dear Acura EL Owner:
We are sending you this letter to notify you of a Warranty Extension that could apply to your vehicle.
What is the problem?
Due to the manufacturing process at the time, the OPDS control unit and/or OPDS sensor may fail prematurely. If this failure occurs, the SRS warning light will be illuminated and your dealer will be able to retrieve certain specific trouble codes that relate to the OPDS system. The control unit failure could affect the possible front passenger side airbag deployment in the event of a side impact. The SRS warning light could also be 'ON' if electronic equipment (laptop computer, power invertors, etc.) are used on the passenger seat. If you use this type of equipment in your vehicle, please inform your dealer as it will aid in the diagnosis.
Please note - if the SRS light is "ON" and your dealer retrieves a trouble code for any reason other than the OPDS control unti, this warranty does not apply.
The warranty period for the OPDS control unti and/or OPDS sensor is extended to 10 years and 240,000 km, whichever comes first on affected vehicles.
What should you do?
Contact your Acura dealer to schedule an appointment to have your vehicle diagnosed and, if required, repaired at a convenient time for you. The dealer will perform the necessary repairs on your vehicle, free of charge.

I called Acura Care and spoke with them and they said that I am still covered under this extended warranty since I have an 03 with 80k on it.

My pass side airbag light (yellow) would go on and off when ever somebody sat in the pass seat no matter how much the person sitting there weighed. After going on and off a few times, the SRS light (red) would come on. I would do a reset of the SRS (found in another thread on here) and after it blinked twice, it would stay off until somebody sat in the seat again. Yesterday a friend sat in it and the red light came on, but now when I tried to reset it, it would blink twice and then come right back on. As far as the dealer that sold me the car with 27k mi stated, the car was a 1 owner that was never in an accident.