SRS light on - could this be the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SRS light on - could this be the cause?

When I bought my car, the previous owner or the owner before that disconnected the cable that triggers chime for an unbuckled seat belt (or at least that's what I think that unplugged cable underneath the driver's seat is for).

I was wondering if that unplugged cable would cause the SRS light to turn on.

Here's a oic of the cable that I'm talking about: http://imgur.com/en7wlPX

Either way, I'm taking it to the Acura dealer this Monday to have them do the recall for the airbag that was around 2009 I believe as well as the recent one that came up.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Checkout the "DIY" sticky for info on resetting the SRS light.
If this doesn't work, then ya may need to look into things a bit farther. Plug the cable in.

Either way, if ya made up your mind to take it to the dealership, why even bother asking ?
The following users liked this post:
AMart83 (09-07-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Well, I'm not sure that the recall will fix the SRS light issue, so I'm planning ahead in case that it doesn't.

As for the plug, I was looking around there before, but I didn't find a harness that it connects to. I know its gotta be somewhere there though, obviously. LoL.

I'll follow your advice though, thanks.

If anybody else wants to add their two cents, feel free to do so.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the recall does not include free inspection of your other man made problems
It didn't trigger the SRS light
what may have occurred was a power cord to the seat srs was disconnected or plugged together with the battery connected or alternate power on,
System must be dead before messing with the electrics of it
know the radio nav codes? remove batt neg cable and go to town with a flashlight and mirror under the seat Ck our DIY for tips on secret connections

re-connect batt then do the reset srs procedure in our diy section
do that BEFORE you take it to the dealer for the recalls

if you want the dealer to look at srs light on prob- its 1.5 hours minimum diagnostic time- at 100-125 dollars per hour!
AMart83 (09-07-2014)
Old 09-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Well, I was under the driver's seat again today and I can't find the damn outlet that the harness connects to. Here's some pics:

http://imgur.com/dk5Z4nn
http://imgur.com/xmfGhQ8
http://imgur.com/PUOB7hr
http://imgur.com/G8gKCto

I'm thinking I may have to disassemble the seat in order to get a closer look, but first I'm going to see if there's a wiring diagram of sorts on the internet. I don't want to disassemble the seat without knowing that the the outlet that I'm looking for is even there.

If you guys know of any site or thread that shows the connections that are under the seat, please advise. I'd really appreciate it.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Ck our DIY for tips on secret connections
I checked the DIY thread and I even did a search for hours and nothing comes up for secret connections.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Two choices...... first, remove the seat to better look underneath it or..... next just download a copy of the "Factory Service Manual" which will give ya actual electrical wiring schematics to work from.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Team Owner

doesn't our diy (think its in the general threads) on `fixed heated seat for $3`
have pics of the wiring under seat and some tip on a wire that fit in the wrong place, if there are extra wires on USA cars etc
Old 09-08-2014, 05:38 PM
Team Owner

I hope you didnt use secret connections for search term! may have lead to hours of inappropriate web sites

AMart83 (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Instructor

I hope you didnt use secret connections for search term! may have lead to hours of inappropriate web sites

LoL yeah, what a waste of yime that was. I found the thread you're talking about, but the guy who told me about the plug that's sticking out says that it's likely the back seat heater harness.

I'm beginning to think the guy who sold me the car just made up some story as to why the seat belt reminder doesn't turn on.

With that said, I'm gonna do some research as to why the seat belt reminder doesn't turn on. So far, all that shows up are threads of people asking how to disable the reminder with no helpful responses that I can use to reverse engineer to check if the previous owner's story checks out.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or tell me which search terms to use, I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Team Owner

go look in the heated seated fix thread, and ck the diy section I know I have seen the info you seek, its not about disabling- its about how to hook the seat up after repair
Removal of seat portion of thread probably has tips on color ends and marking- extra ones etc
we do not have rear seat heat in the usa cars,,,other places ?? that's why every car made has the odd unused connectors- for other countries specs

for seatbelt reminder- ck the diy on seatbelt retractor not working (was an extended warranty so a service bulletin exist) drags the belt slowly or retracts after you exit the car,,could be the sensor in there with the mechanism

or there is a seatbelt latch sensor of some type? not sure about those- guessing

was this car in a crash- airbags deployed?- bought from insurance or kept as salvage title -was it a car you owned and crashed? how much history of car you know- is what I am looking for with this question

Why is the seatbelt reminder important- do you often forget to Buckle Up?
Did you try the SRS reset procedure on here???
going to the dealer thinking its a free/ recall is wrong!!

they first must diagnose at 100-150$!! if its recall or somehow warranty at this age, then acura picks up the diagnosis charge and repairs, and you pay nothing

BUT
if its not something free, they make you pay the diagnosis in full! and still not fix the prob- just to tell you what it is!!!!!!!!!!
AMart83 (09-09-2014)
Old 09-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=01tl4tl;15153672]go look in the heated seated fix thread, and ck the diy section I know I have seen the info you seek, its not about disabling- its about how to hook the seat up after repair
Removal of seat portion of thread probably has tips on color ends and marking- extra ones etc[QUOTE]If this is the thread you're referring to, there's not much of a DIY nor any info regarding the connections. :-/. That guy, kzak (Josh's World), does have his own DIY. I was looking at the video and I saw some spots where that cable could connect to. When I get a chance, I'll check out the places that he disconnected all the wires from the bottom using the pics I took.

[QUOTE=01tl4tl;15153672]we do not have rear seat heat in the usa cars,,,other places ?? that's why every car made has the odd unused connectors- for other countries specs[QUOTE]The car was originally sold in Florida, so if it's got a heated back seat pad, that'd be weird. :-/

[QUOTE=01tl4tl;15153672]for seatbelt reminder- ck the diy on seatbelt retractor not working (was an extended warranty so a service bulletin exist) drags the belt slowly or retracts after you exit the car,,could be the sensor in there with the mechanism

or there is a seatbelt latch sensor of some type? not sure about those- guessing[QUOTE=01tl4tl;15153672]Well, my seat belt does retract only after I tug on it a bit. It seems like the next logical step is to check the retraction mechanism behind the pillar. I had a look at some of the threads that were available. In this one, Some guy provides step by step (no pics) on how to replace the retractor and another guy in the same thread said to just use silicone to lube the seat belt where it runs the through the retractor.

I found a pic of the seat belt disassembled (Name:  strip5.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  71.4 KB). There doesn't appear to be any sensor there.

When I check it out, I'm going to have to look more closely to see if there's any sensor. Do you recommend that I silicone the spray to fix the slow retractor or call up Acura to see if the dealer will/should replace it for free?

[QUOTE=01tl4tl;15153672]was this car in a crash- airbags deployed?- bought from insurance or kept as salvage title -was it a car you owned and crashed? how much history of car you know- is what I am looking for with this question[QUOTE]It's got a clean carfax (and that's an understatement). The car was bought at the dealer that I took it to, the guy who I bought it from also bought it from the same dealer, and I'm the third owner.

I read on another website (?hondatech?) that a person was able to successfully disable the seat belt reminder then an SRS light came on, so they re-enabled the seat belt reminder and the light went off. I figured since mines isn't working or the previous owner's story about disabling it holds up, it could be causing the SRS light to turn on.

Nope, but I going to have to, just to be absolutely positive that there's a real issue with the SRS and not just some mistake the previous owner(s) made when/if messing with the electrical parts of the car.

they first must diagnose at 100-150$!! if its recall or somehow warranty at this age, then acura picks up the diagnosis charge and repairs, and you pay nothing

BUT
if its not something free, they make you pay the diagnosis in full! and still not fix the prob- just to tell you what it is!!!!!!!!!!
Yup, I'm well aware of that. It's a hit or miss if you don't run some diagnostics yourself. I saw a thread about retrieving the SRS error code, so I'll try that out and make sure I get the 60-10 error code (there might be one more that's covered under the warranty) before I even consider taking it to the dealer.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Ignore the previous response, this one's easier on the eyes.

go look in the heated seated fix thread, and ck the diy section I know I have seen the info you seek, its not about disabling- its about how to hook the seat up after repair
Removal of seat portion of thread probably has tips on color ends and marking- extra ones etc
If this is the thread you're referring to, there's not much of a DIY nor any info regarding the connections. :-/. That guy, kzak (Josh's World), does have his own DIY. I was looking at the video and I saw some spots where that cable could connect to. When I get a chance, I'll check out the places that he disconnected all the wires from the bottom using the pics I took.

we do not have rear seat heat in the usa cars,,,other places ?? that's why every car made has the odd unused connectors- for other countries specs
The car was originally sold in Florida, so if it's got a heated back seat pad, that'd be weird. :-/

[QUOTE=01tl4tl;15153672]for seatbelt reminder- ck the diy on seatbelt retractor not working (was an extended warranty so a service bulletin exist) drags the belt slowly or retracts after you exit the car,,could be the sensor in there with the mechanism

or there is a seatbelt latch sensor of some type? not sure about those- guessing[QUOTE=01tl4tl;15153672]Well, my seat belt does retract only after I tug on it a bit. It seems like the next logical step is to check the retraction mechanism behind the pillar. I had a look at some of the threads that were available. In this one, Some guy provides step by step (no pics) on how to replace the retractor and another guy in the same thread said to just use silicone to lube the seat belt where it runs the through the retractor.

I found a pic of the seat belt disassembled (Name:  strip5.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  71.4 KB). There doesn't appear to be any sensor there.

When I check it out, I'm going to have to look more closely to see if there's any sensor. Do you recommend that I silicone the spray to fix the slow retractor or call up Acura to see if the dealer will/should replace it for free?

was this car in a crash- airbags deployed?- bought from insurance or kept as salvage title -was it a car you owned and crashed? how much history of car you know- is what I am looking for with this question
It's got a clean carfax (and that's an understatement). The car was bought at the dealer that I took it to, the guy who I bought it from also bought it from the same dealer, and I'm the third owner.

I read on another website (?hondatech?) that a person was able to successfully disable the seat belt reminder then an SRS light came on, so they re-enabled the seat belt reminder and the light went off. I figured since mines isn't working or the previous owner's story about disabling it holds up, it could be causing the SRS light to turn on.

Nope, but I going to have to, just to be absolutely positive that there's a real issue with the SRS and not just some mistake the previous owner(s) made when/if messing with the electrical parts of the car.

Yup, I'm well aware of that. It's a hit or miss if you don't run some diagnostics yourself. I saw a thread about retrieving the SRS error code, so I'll try that out and make sure I get the 60-10 error code (there might be one more that's covered under the warranty) before I even consider taking it to the dealer.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Sorry again. I swear, I hate how the admin doesn't allow new members to edit their posts.
If this is the thread you're referring to, there's not much of a DIY nor any info regarding the connections. :-/. That guy, kzak (Josh's World), does have his own DIY. I was looking at the video and I saw some spots where that cable could connect to. When I get a chance, I'll check out the places that he disconnected all the wires from the bottom using the pics I took.

The car was originally sold in Florida, so if my car a heated back seat pad, that'd be weird. :-/ From what I've read, every Acura should have a driver seat back heated pad.

for seatbelt reminder- ck the diy on seatbelt retractor not working (was an extended warranty so a service bulletin exist) drags the belt slowly or retracts after you exit the car,,could be the sensor in there with the mechanism

or there is a seatbelt latch sensor of some type? not sure about those- guessing
Well, my seat belt does retract only after I tug on it a bit. It seems like the next logical step is to check the retraction mechanism behind the pillar. I had a look at some of the threads that were available. In this one, Some guy provides step by step (no pics) on how to replace the retractor and another guy in the same thread said to just use silicone to lube the seat belt where it runs the through the retractor.

I found a pic of the seat belt disassembled (http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...eve/strip5.jpg). There doesn't appear to be any sensor there.

It's got a clean carfax (and that's an understatement). The car was bought at the dealer that I took it to, the guy who I bought it from also bought it from the same dealer, and I'm the third owner.

BUT
Old 09-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Well I took out the driver seat today. There is no connection for that harness.. Does anybody else know where I go from here on out?
Old 09-10-2014, 06:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Unhappy SRS Light on

Originally Posted by AMart83
When I bought my car, the previous owner disconnected the cable that triggers chime for an unbuckled seat belt. I was wondering if that unplugged cable would cause the SRS light to turn on.

Either way, I'm taking it to the Acura dealer to have them do the recall for the airbag that was around 2009 I believe as well as the recent one that came up.

Any thoughts?

Have ya tried the "SRS" reset procedure yet ? Worth a try.
Have the dealership perform any recalls needing done. They probably won't help with the other wiring issues.....unless ya pay them some big bucks to diagnose the SRS systemfor any fault codes.
AMart83 (09-10-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 06:19 PM
Instructor

I reset the SRS light today. Now to see if it comes back on.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Team Owner

I would be surprised if there is any warranty left- we got a special 10 year 150kmiles whichever occurs first is the limit on the srs problem, it covered all but 1 part iirc, but the covered parts were likely to fix problem
Now- sept 2014, its got to be past 10 years for all of us, BUT you can ask!- beg- plead, as this car has been a long time dealer service customer- acura likes that!!

if you are up to remove another panel, take a look at the actual seatbelt retractor assembly- ck for debris or twisted belt- then lube the mechanism

that extra connector may have nothing to do with the usa

The seat heater is front seats only- driver gets butt and low back, passenger gets low back only- due to airbag and occupant sensors (Im guessing)
AMart83 (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Instructor

I would be surprised if there is any warranty left- we got a special 10 year 150kmiles whichever occurs first is the limit on the srs problem, it covered all but 1 part iirc, but the covered parts were likely to fix problem
Now- sept 2014, its got to be past 10 years for all of us, BUT you can ask!- beg- plead, as this car has been a long time dealer service customer- acura likes that!!
If the SRS comes back and I do pull the SRS code that's under warranty, I'll try and see what I can do.

if you are up to remove another panel, take a look at the actual seatbelt retractor assembly- ck for debris or twisted belt- then lube the mechanism
Yup, that's next on my list. Will tackle that today, hopefully.

that extra connector may have nothing to do with the usa

The seat heater is front seats only- driver gets butt and low back, passenger gets low back only- due to airbag and occupant sensors (Im guessing)
That's always a possibility.