Should I change tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I change tranny fluid?

For a while now I've been having this problem. It usually seems to happen when I'm driving slow but when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear the car will shake very bad which feels like 2nd gear slipping but I'm not sure. If i accelerate from a stop and keep the rpms below 2500 or so this is when it happens. Ive become so used to this that I just feather the gas enough to prevent it but I think I need to stop procrastinating and address this problem. I've always heard that changing tranny fluid in a car that hasn't regularly had it done can cause more problems then it's worth so I'm asking you guys. It's an 02 tls with 125,000 btw.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine does this as well, it shutters in the 1-2 shift, but only in the lower RPM's, give it some gas and it's smooth. I've been told it's probably the motor mounts, but I'm not sure. Still have to get them checked out.
My tranny has been rebuilt and has less than 2k miles on it, so unless they screwed up, it's probably not the tranny. If i finally get it addressed I'll get back to you about it. If you figure it out let me know!
Old 11-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Intermediate

I would inspect the mounts for visible damage see if the side mount is suppose to be a soild peice of rubber if its cracked then its a good time to change them. You can have a friend get in the car and put it in drive and hold the brakes if the motor moves over a few inches its time to change them. ya the tl's roll smooth Them mounts has be the first thing I been needing to change. Would be good to change out the fluid and mounts and probably should help it out alot. test your wheel baring out shake the wheel from up to down see if it has any odd play.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
^^agree^^, check the mounts before you do anything.

Does your car still have the original tranny, or was it replaced at some point.
Some 'Ziners have had good results with replacing the tranny's filter, cleaning the solenoids, and performing a drain & fill using only Honda fluid. If the tranny is going south, what have you got to lose, as it will not improve by doing nothing. Do ya feel lucky !
Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts
If you want to change the fluid, only do a single drain & fill. Drive it for several weeks and see how it goes. Then you can do a second drain & fill and see if it improves after a few more weeks of driving. This will help your tranny acclimate slowly with the new DW-1 fluid. But never do a full 3x3 or flush in one day if your tranny fluid is old.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by victus1
If you want to change the fluid, only do a single drain & fill. Drive it for several weeks and see how it goes. Then you can do a second drain & fill and see if it improves after a few more weeks of driving. This will help your tranny acclimate slowly with the new DW-1 fluid. But never do a full 3x3 or flush in one day if your tranny fluid is old.
yes this is the original tranny. I actually don't believe the oil jet kit was ever installed either.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
look on top of trans --see a large bolt with ATF stamped on it?
any blue paint on bolt heads on and attached to trans? = warranty unit

or a funky looking thing with a small hose to it, device held on by 1 10mm bolt on top center of trans where atf filler would be
thats the oil jet kit

register by VIN at www.owners.acura.com for your actual cars records-
recall section will say OPEN or FIXED,,open means it still needs the job done

fixed on trans does not mean trans fixed,,means job performed
open on trans warranty extension only means it was part of the covered vins,,time long since expired

recalls are free and trans oil jet kit may net you a free trans if specific heat damage to 2nd gear is found---so get on registering today to verify if its been done

slipping of trans = actual rpm increase without power getting to trans
Shudder shift in low gear can be motor mounts= front common failure and vacuum boosted!! failure causes odd problems besides broken mount

cleaning of the 2 external pressure/shift selenoids and change the external atf filter always help--see diy section

use of certain trans cleaners= motor purr and seafoam trans tune
has proven good for lower miles trans with shudder--its just dirty from all the new parts used during rebuild,,clogging those selenoids
replace filter after cleaners of course and full fluid changeout
(3x3 per book in one day takes less than an hour done right) or `accord engine running method`- all at once change)

Shops should tell us to replace all the fluid with honda dw1 at 5000 after rebuild
but they dont!!!
and change at least 3 qts every year/15kmiles,,every other engine oil change
slap some new atf in there!
The following users liked this post:
trailz516 (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Instructor

^ thank you for the reply. I justed checked the tranny and don't see any blue paint on the bolt or a oil jet kit. I registered on the Acura site and it shows the recall open for the extended transmission warranty is open but shows that the recall for 2nd gear was fixed. I've also got the airbag recall to take care of. The color of the tranny fluid isn't too bad IMO but I think I will do a 3qt change. I gotta get the timing belt done ASAP. Time to stop neglecting my car.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the blue paint is on small bolts attaching things to trans and the main `body` bolts of trans

the large filler bolt bolt says ATF but is not colored blue!
remove it and observe gears directly underneath

if owners recall section says fixed on 2nd gear- you have the jet kit installed
and/or if no kit observed you got a warranty replacement trans when recall inspection was performed,,heat damage found and unit replaced
Look into that with dealer service computer--it will know,,often more than online or 800 knows!

DO get to dealer this week for airbag inflator module replacement= its free!!
they can easily tell it trans is OE or whats happening

test fluid with a 3oz sample and 25 bucks to blackstone labs
that will reveal exactly what wear is happening inside trans

color pink red is correct
but you need to be changing at least 3 qts every year/15kmiles
if its on the old formula fluid= it needs the new dw1