Shady Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:37 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shady Dealership

I took my 03 TL into the dealership after they said the tranny recall hadn't been installed. Left with 08 TL. Recieved Call back 5 hours saying once they got into my car they saw it was completed. 98000 Miles on car. Before taking to dealership car shifted fine. Within 3 days tranny completed crapped out. Taking me from 55mph to a dead stop. Wouldn't shift out of 1st. Does this sound weird. 3 days a transmission going dead with no signs.

Dealership said my VIN was not covered by extended warranty because it is late model and problem was fixed. They took my car in and 3 days later without notifying me install remanufactured tranny. Old case new inside. Runs great again. They fixed it under goodwill program. Was this a coincident or did the dealership mess my car up, and don't want to admit their faults.

Any comments or your situations please post;.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
its a long time since 2004 when they made the recall notice to install an external oil jet kit!!

Acura is well aware of the trans prob and knows it was not fixed- they Goodwill 03s every day. You gave permission to inspect and repair your car- they found a warranty covered problem and fixed it no charge to you.
The case is not your old one with new parts- they dont open them at the dealer in any way.
There is a place that does all of them, takes the incoming dead units apart and scavenge the good hard parts- gears and valves and such, and puts them in a bin of parts to be inspected cleaned and tossed or in the re-use pile
New cases are used if yours is from before 2005- which it is.
The cases are different inside now and do improve things- you may get a winner or it may quit- but still covered by its own warranty- you usually know in a few months if its a keeper

Yes its totally normal to have the trans go without warning, especially if you change the fluid at high miles- almost guarantee a failure soon- thats just the way it goes
Be thankful they got it fixed for you- enjoy the car~
Old 03-26-2008, 01:57 AM
Team Owner

Doh! reread your post- they saw the oil jet kit was already installed, and then the trans failed-
Old 03-26-2008, 02:21 AM
6th Gear

I appreciate your reply. It was a very weird experience for me. Being that I had to even bother to leave my car at the dealership for no reason at first. They first ran the VIN and said the oil jet was never installed. Once I left they got my car in the shop and realized it was completed. I guess when they went to inspect for discoloration.

I don't know if this was all just one big conincidence that in three days my transmission that got "nothing" done to it failed me so suddenly? Did the dealership messed something up. I love the TL, I wanted to keep it for atleast another 100K. I am slightly concered that this new transmission will fail me. I have a one year old daughter who's life I would really rather not put in jeopordy.

The way the dealer made me feel by saying they didn't have to replace the transmission they did it out of goodwill, when as a consumer, I feel they messed it up, and are obligated to fix the error. I am also suprised they did not contact me before doing any work to my vehicle.

Anyways man I appreciate your response. Its great to see a place where we can gather together and help out other consumers. Let's pray for a good transmission. I really want to be an Acura owner for Life.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:32 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you had just the transmission replace then i think it should be fine because it has been said that the new rebuilt transmission had the problem fixed you could remore about it in a transmission thread that is like 15 pages long on the main 2gen tl good luck with the car
Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Team Owner

I would be more concerned with a flat tire and child on board than another trans failure

What happened was someone somehow neglected to enter the recall completed note in the system for your car. Thats all
They didnt check anything inside the trans-
once the recall install is completed they dont look inside anymore.
they opened the hood and said HEY there is already the external oil jet kit installed, how does the fluid smell? well lets take it for the normal transmission test run and see how its doing,,,,hey boss- this ones gonna needs a trans soon! I will do it!!!

Nothing shady happened- let that idea go, and enjoy getting half a new car for free
Old 03-26-2008, 11:21 PM
6th Gear

To me it seemed odd at first. Now I am very excited. Honestly, the great customer service and no hassle probably just made me a customer for life. Thumbs way up to Acura. Thanks for the free transmission.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:17 AM
Team Owner

The dealer was trying to make you feel special and appreciative-and tell you what they did.
your car was out of limits on time or mileage or VIN, they were under no obligation despite your beliefs!
they went to Acura Corp regional warranty rep and got approval for a "goodwill" 4000 dollar gesture to you. thats not bad~
A thank you note to the dealers General Manager and Service Manager and to Acura corp is always appreciated-
service dept gets bonus pay based on survey cards and customer calls and letters
Note on the survey cards- anything less than perfect 10s is a fail in acuras mind-