Security system no longer engages

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Security system no longer engages

Whether I lock with my key or the fob, I cannot get the security system to chirp and engage. There is no blinking red light to indicate that the security system is active. I've tested it by locking the car from the outside with the window down and reaching inside to unlock and open the door. No alarm. The panic button doesn't work either.

When I UNlock the doors, the driver door unlocks, and then a second later the rest of the doors unlock without having to push the unlock button twice. This happens whether I'm using the key or the fob.

All locks appear to be working correctly, so it doesn't seem to be an actuator. The trunk light is not on when the trunk is shut. So the only thing I can think of is the hood latch. When I looked at it, the metal on the sensor never touched when I moved the latch, so I'm thinking that COULD be it. Wouldn't that make the alarm go off all the time, though? Or is it not engaging at all because it thinks the hood is always open in the first place? Actually, now that I think about it, I've been able to engage the security system with the hood open before. I know this because I've accidentally leaned against my key fob while it was in my pocket and had it honk in my face while I was looking under the hood. In that case, it seems like the sensor thinking the hood is always open wouldn't affect the security/chirp/beep.

So before I go buy a $90 hood latch, is there anything else I can check?

Last edited by pstomps; 05-19-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,709 Likes on 6,716 Posts
security wouldn't chirp if it thinks hood is open (or trunk for that matter)
The following users liked this post:
pstomps (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Advanced

Thanks. That makes me think the hood latch is likely. It's possible that it was having problems thinking the hood was always closed in the past when I've honked at my face with the hood open. And now it thinks it's always open.

Any ideas on testing the trunk sensor other than opening and closing it while checking the dash light?
Old 05-19-2015, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,709 Likes on 6,716 Posts
i don't have a service manual handy but there is usually a multimeter test for it. (if you want to get into the nitty gritty).

Does the trunk dash illuminate when trunk is open and turn off when it's close? Chances are trunk is good if so.

Hood is likely suspect for me as well. which you can also check with multimeter (find a SM)
Old 05-19-2015, 03:25 PM
Advanced

Here's the test I found in the manual in case anyone else stumbles across this thread with the same problem:

I'm guessing I could probably just test the voltage on the latch harness while moving it by hand rather than trying to get under the dash.
The following users liked this post:
01tl4tl (05-19-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Advanced

Just to update on this in case anyone finds it later on, the hood latch was (probably) fine. After replacing it, it didn't solve the problem. I say probably fine because it wasn't worth the effort to put the old one back on. So I finally took the door panel off and did some digging. I remembered that I shoved a slimjim down there in the winter at 4 am because I had locked me keys inside with the car running.

So I looked for any severed wires, etc. and discovered a broken piece of plastic with a wire connected to it. It was the lock cylinder switch (I'll just call it a sensor. Part #72182-S0K-A01

The lock cylinder has a tiny groove in it where this plastic sensor sits in. It rotates a small switch on the sensor when you lock the door. I guess this somehow tells the security system that the door has been opened even though it was locked.

In the end, I tried to jb weld it back together, and of course it snapped right back apart. After losing the screw that holds it in place somewhere inside the door, I gave up and decided to order a new one. I pulled it out, put the door panel back on, and shut it. Miraculously it beeped when I locked it twice! However, the alarm doesn't go off. It just beeps as if it's engaging, and even the red light blinks.

So if anyone else breaks their sensor but doesn't care about having an actual alarm, just disconnect the sensor. It's the harness under the plastic moisture seal on the left side.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:05 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the alarm doesn't go off when arming -and unless you trigger it by opening a locked door thru an open window- popping the inner release.
alarm knows something is up- as the door wasn't opened properly via key or alarm fob

other things set it off but wanted to give an easy example to test
Old 06-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually engaged it and tried opening from the inside with the window down as well as popping the hood. At this point I'm just happy the locks and beep work as they should. Now that I know what was causing the problem, I'll (maybe) eventually pick up another sensor next time I need to get some parts.