Repair for passenger side fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Repair for passenger side fan

Guys,

If a woman like me can figure this out, and fix it myself, I'm sure that you guys already have or ca do the same.

I had one of my fans to go out on me. For a few days I listened and noticed that it wasn't coming on and that the temperature gauge was getting hoter. Heres what I did:
First I called the dealership because I actually have some confidence in their work. They told me that the replacement plus the labor would cost me roughly 400 bucks. I decided to do a little research on the part and the problem. I called around to some parts stores and Hondocs out of town. They told me that this could be an easy fix for way less than 400 bucks, and gave me clear cut instructions on how to do it myself. The dealership wanted to replace the whole fan unit, but you dont have to do that. All you have to do is replace the motor in the fan which costs $64 bucks.

What you will need from a parts store:
A fan motor @ approx $64
A set of crimpers (Skinney cylidrical plastic tubes that protect wire) @ approx $1.25
A roll of electrical tape @ approx $1.69
Some plyers
A screw driver

You disconnect the battery and remove it and its housing ONLY because its in the way and youre doing some minor electrical work. You take 4 little screws out to disconnect the whole unit and slide it out. Then you take three little screws out to disconnect the motor. There is a connection that you just have to pull apart. Once you do that, you switch out the old motor for the new one. Connect the little connector thingy (theres 2 little prongs that go into the housing). You have to splice the wire (Its been about 10 months since I did this so I'm tying to remember it as best as I can. I cant remember where exactly I had to splice my wire, but its so easy to do this you can figure it out once you see it). Once its in there, you protect the wiring with the 2 little crimpers. Wrap the exposed wire/ crimpers in electrical tape. Then put all that stuff back the way you found it. Screw the screws and washers back in and slide that mess back in there. And youre done. The fan will work again! It took me about 45minutes because I was being very careful.

Who would have thought that a woman like me, could fix he own damn car for less than 70 bucks!

-Zendre