Rearview Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rearview Mirror Replacement

Hey guys,

Just got my replacement from Magna Donnelley (yes, I have to send old one back) and what a pain. Getting the old mirror off is almost worth taking it to Acura. I am going to try and explain this once again (I got help from the forums).

Once you have the plastic cover off that runs with the windshield (piece closest to front bumper), take a screw driver and wedge between metal prong (located if you wedge you head between the dash and the mirror) and windshield. I took a rubber mallet and hammered for a few minutes, or until crazy frustrated. Then, I puled the screwdriver out, BAM. The mirror basically fell off, no chips or anything.

Honestly...good luck. It is wicked frustrating...
Old 07-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Racer

Hey, do you have any info on who to contact to get it replaced? My dimming function is slowy dying...
Old 07-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

Go to the website (search yahoo for Magna Donnelly) and email customer care center. That email will find it's way into Laurie Van De Beldt, or something like that
Old 07-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

They no longer do replacements. You must go through your dealership at this point. I just decided to call and my mirror is under warranty for the rest of the month! Talk about lucky. So I'm bringin her in next week!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:59 PM
Intermediate

I've heard they don't do replacements anymore also. Just got mine in the mail last week. Believe who you want...
Old 07-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

I Emailed Magna Donnely last week and they said they had discontinued the service. But I'm getting a free mirror and install from Acura dealership, so I don't mind
Old 08-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

I have a 99 TL and they finally agreed to replace my mirror but want to know a few things that I cannot answer. Does anyone know the following?

How many plugs in the wire?
What color is the plug?
What color are the wires?
Number of pins on the back of the mirror?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:10 PM
1st Gear

The mirror has three wires coming from it into a blue plug. The wires are white, grey, and black. The mirror and hanging bracket are all one assembly and are not available separately.

I just replaced my mirror ('99 TL) with a new one from Acura. After removing the overhead maplight/Homelink housing and unplugging it, you will see the blue plug from the mirror. Unplug it and remove both of the plastic caps from the mirror. There is one covering the wire next to the headliner and one along the from edge of the mirror post. Insert a screwdriver thru the hole in the headliner placing the end of the blade against the metal bracket that is the top of the mirror bracket. Tap the screwdriver firmly but not to hard with a rubber mallet or small hammer a few times and the mirror bracket should slide forward about a half an inch. This should release it from the slide connector on the windshield. Feed the wire out from under the headliner then just reverse the process to install the new mirror.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2007, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

Additional Replacement Info

Thank you Acurazine members. Because of you, I have a new rearview mirror in my '99 TL. I have a couple of additional tips for installation.

Before I begin, I should say I purchased my mirror from www.acuracarland.com with complete satisfaction for a total of $88.79.

The process of replacement begins with the removal of four screws. Two screws are located inside the sunglass compartment and the other two are located under the reading lights. You'll want to remove the light cover carefully with a flathead screwdriver. There are two notches on the light cover on the front windshield side for this purpose, put the flathead in, and slowly turn the screwdriver. Once the four screws are removed, the entire unit can be removed slowly. You'll notice the wires that connect the mirror via a blue plug. Unplug this wire. At this point, you can remove the mirror. I suggest reattached the overhead "homelink/map light/sunglass" unit with one screw so you don't stress the other wires while you remove the mirror. After taking off the two plastic caps, you can begin the process of removing the mirror. I don't have any advice to offer here. I'm not really sure what I did to remove it, other to say that it didn't seem to require much force. I can say that it comes off in a downward motion. (See other user experiences for some ideas)

Once it is off, you can take off the overhead unit and feed the blue plug through the opening. Reverse this process for putting it back on. Once I slipped the mirror on, I used a wooden dowel and a hammer to tap the mirror into place. I did this with minimal force and felt (and heard) it seat snugly.

Hope this helps someone else with their quest to save some money on a dealer install. (My dealer wasn't even interested in doing it!)
Old 05-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the installation tips and welcome to Acurazine!

There are also installation instructions with photos on Page 13 of the "Rear View Mirror Exploded!" thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=exploded

And did you realize that Magna Donnelly has been sending out free replacement mirrors? See the above thread for details on that. A few months ago they sent me a free replacement for my 1999 TL.

Bob
Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 PM
3rd Gear

Do you know what email address or web link I should use to contact Magna Donnelly for the free rear view mirror replacement? My rear view mirror has the bubble problem.

thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jc582
Do you know what email address or web link I should use to contact Magna Donnelly for the free rear view mirror replacement? My rear view mirror has the bubble problem.

thanks.
Everything you need to know is in the thread I linked above. Start at the end of the thread and work your way backwards to save time.

Bob
Old 06-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Intermediate

I got a replacement for free and took my car to an autoglass shop to have it installed. They guy working said it was the hardest mirror he's installed in his 30 years of doing that task. Only cost me about $25 to have it done.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2003blacktl
I got a replacement for free and took my car to an autoglass shop to have it installed. They guy working said it was the hardest mirror he's installed in his 30 years of doing that task. Only cost me about $25 to have it done.
The difficulty must vary from car to car. I replaced my mirror in about 15 minutes without any problems using the instructions in the "Rearview Mirror Exploded" thread.

The old mirror came off easily and the new one went on smoothly.

So YMMV. (Your Mirror May Vary)

Bob