Problems w/ adjusting height on Tanabe coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems w/ adjusting height on Tanabe coilovers

Hey guys, I just had my Tanabe Sustec SS pro coilovers installed yesterday. I have the rears dropped to 2 finger gap and it looks great. The front however is a problem. It has a 1/2 finger or less gap and sits a little too low for my tastes. I want the front to be a 2 finger gap to be even with the rears. My mechanic said that he used the wrenches included and raised the coilovers to maximum height on the threads. What is wrong here? i thought that I should be able to even raise the car to above stock ride height if I wanted with these fully adjustable coilovers. Now my dad saw the TL yesterday and was like thats too damn low... I don't approve of it, so now my ass has to bring it back and hopefully figure out how to raise the front coilovers up about an inch or two. Any help from you guys that have DIY'd the coilovers or know how to adjust the ride height would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
once u loosen the rings with the spanner wrenches, turn the rings and make them go up to the height u want. U might want to measure with a ruler to see how many threads would created a 2 finger gap front. Once you have it at the right height, Tighten the rings with the wrench, put you wheels back on, then your done.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Pro

is there a maximum height that the rings can go up. My mechanic said he raised it all up, but I think I should be able to raise it higher...
Old 08-09-2005, 02:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MQMH_03
is there a maximum height that the rings can go up. My mechanic said he raised it all up, but I think I should be able to raise it higher...
I think u can raise it up higher if u can still see that there are still THREADS available for the 2 rings to twist upwards.

You can see if there are any threads left to go up by jacking up the car and taking off the wheel.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Pro

thanks chewi, yeah im going back to my mechanic this afternoon to jack the up and take a look at the threads. THanks for you help. By the way how are your apexi ws riding?
Old 08-10-2005, 04:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

thanks chewi, yeah im going back to my mechanic this afternoon to jack the up and take a look at the threads. THanks for you help. By the way how are your apexi ws riding?
the apexi's feel really good.

its still a comfortable ride but if i want to make some hard cornering... these coilovers are actually stiff enough.

I have 10kgmm springs up front and 4kgmm springs in the rear.
The front has pretty stiff springs which really helps the heavy TL corner better.

How about your tanabes?
Old 08-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Pro

They are riding great chewi. They are noticeably stiffer than stock, but i can compromise fo rhte great handling i now have. I have the dampening settings both on 1 cause my dad is bitching that the ride is too stiff when he sits in the car. I wonder what the settings 4 and 8 feel like. I think my Tanabes run a little stiffer than your apexis....

and oh by the way I have another question, I just came back from getting an oil change and my mechanic noticed that both of my outer CV boots were split open. He said it was due to the Tanabe coilovers rubbing on the boots? Do you have this problem too or were my coilovers installed inproperly? He said that I should get this fixed asap before i do further damage to my CV joints...
Old 08-13-2005, 06:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

They are riding great chewi. They are noticeably stiffer than stock, but i can compromise fo rhte great handling i now have. I have the dampening settings both on 1 cause my dad is bitching that the ride is too stiff when he sits in the car. I wonder what the settings 4 and 8 feel like. I think my Tanabes run a little stiffer than your apexis....

and oh by the way I have another question, I just came back from getting an oil change and my mechanic noticed that both of my outer CV boots were split open. He said it was due to the Tanabe coilovers rubbing on the boots? Do you have this problem too or were my coilovers installed inproperly? He said that I should get this fixed asap before i do further damage to my CV joints...
O wow... hmm i don't know how your CV boots were split open.... I'm not so familiar with the cv boots so i'm not so sure...

Yes... you better get them fixed and replaced. I hope its not the Tanabes that caused the problem. But this could be due to improper installation b/c u said both of your CV boots are damaged... wierd....

Goodluck and i hope everything works out.
Sorry to hear about your preoblem right now.
I know you will be very happy with the tanabes when everything is solved.

I really like the way my car can handle on the roads now. Feels much more stable.