Problems with my 02 tl type s

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:25 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with my 02 tl type s

New here lookin for some answers.. My 02 tl type s has been givong me some troble latey. Started hopping best i can describe while excelerating say 10 mph.. Idle kinda rough..history..started with check engin light, traction control comming on at same time.. Idled low like verge of dying..so i did timing belt, water pump, pully, iac, egr flush and replace was allmost closed with carbon..also did pcv and spark pluggs platnum ngk and new coil pack fron misfire codes..rebuilt and compleetly cleaned intake with new gaskets.. Now it stutters at low rpm and getting misfire codes and random misfire codes...along with the stuttering at low rpms. I also smell heavy gas with a touch of sulfer smell and i can hear the miss from the exaust..dont know where to go from here love this car and never gave me a problen till now. 2nd owner 1st was a honda tec.. About 150 miles on her amd original tranny.. Any help would be awsome..
Old 10-22-2018, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This thread has been moved to the model specific forum for better response.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Sounds like you took the correct approach to correcting the problem. When you did the timing belt etc., how did you determine which coil pack was bad, or did you replace all of them? Have you removed the plugs, and looked at their condition. The type of low rpm miss you describe, sounds like a failing coil pack, which could cause a raw fuel and sulfur odor at the exhaust. A look at the plugs should give you an indication if the issue is isolated to one cylinder, or if it is across the board. If one plug's burn pattern looks different from the others, you've at least isolated the problem cylinder. If all the plugs look the same, than the cause is going to be more difficult to determine. IMPORTANT: It's easy to install the "metal" top intake manifold cover gasket UPSIDE DOWN, on re-assembly. This metal gasket will fit either way, but if it's installed upside down, the EGR port holes will be blocked, which will cause a rough idle and or mis-fire.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:10 PM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Sounds like you need new ignition coils. Follow the codes.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:29 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
Sounds like you took the correct approach to correcting the problem. When you did the timing belt etc., how did you determine which coil pack was bad, or did you replace all of them? Have you removed the plugs, and looked at their condition. The type of low rpm miss you describe, sounds like a failing coil pack, which could cause a raw fuel and sulfur odor at the exhaust. A look at the plugs should give you an indication if the issue is isolated to one cylinder, or if it is across the board. If one plug's burn pattern looks different from the others, you've at least isolated the problem cylinder. If all the plugs look the same, than the cause is going to be more difficult to determine. IMPORTANT: It's easy to install the "metal" top intake manifold cover gasket UPSIDE DOWN, on re-assembly. This metal gasket will fit either way, but if it's installed upside down, the EGR port holes will be blocked, which will cause a rough idle and or mis-fire.
thank you for the response it is greatly appreciated.. first i just replaced all coils and spark plugs at the same time.. i was very careful handling them and instaling them.. i have not yet pulled the plugs to inspect since. and yes i did put the top intake gasket on the right way lol read alot about that before i started..i made shure that all the holes lined up too. i also found that my iac valve was bad as well causing my rpms to jump from 1 to 2.5 by itself all the sudden.. the misfire is pretty bad the car almost feels like the transmission is bad like a stutter and or hopping at exceleration also the check engine light and traction control and vis are all lit up and if i go past 3 grand the check engine light flashes at me.. i have to drive it no other way to get to work. i belive its in limp mode. i dont like to but need to. i also changed the map sencer as well.. im now going to try the crank sencer next... because i did not do it while i was in there doing the timing belt. but again thank you for your responce
Old 11-12-2018, 09:29 AM
Burning Brakes

What are the engine ECU codes telling you? Exactly which plugs and which coils did you install? Throwing parts at it, is an issue! You may find it more productive to get back to basics, start by checking the ECU codes. Also, pull the plugs, and see what they are telling you. As far as the transmission "stutter and or hopping", normally, when there is a transmission related problem, the STUTTER, or SHUDDER occurs as the transmission shifts into third gear. If you are experiencing the infamous (JUDDER) as i think Honda refers to it, at every shift point, it's probably the the result of an engine miss-fire, rather than a transmission issue.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:56 PM
3rd Gear

so they started with misfire codes for 2,3,5 and ramdom cylinder misfire. so i changed thoes first, then the problem got worse..and i did reset ecu by disconnecting the battery for 2hrs.. then i started getting the random misfire code and the same cylinder miss codes and one for the speed sensor so i just went ahead changed them all since i had the parts. i also pulled each connection for each cylinder and all changed when disconnected. still waiting on the crank sensor to arrive with the right side speed sensor.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Have you had a chance to look at the plugs. One plug showing an odd burn pattern may help you isolate the cylinder creating the problem.