Powersteering issue i cant seem to figure out

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Powersteering issue i cant seem to figure out

I've been having some issues with my power steering and I'm running out of ideas. Hopefully some of you could shed some light on this situation. There's a whining noise coming from the power steering pump when I make turns at a slow speeds and it's been there for while. Recently (2-3 weeks ago), I replaced the powersteering pump and reservior, did a fluid flush using HONDA P/S fluid and that did not seem to solve the problem. The noise did quite down a bit but it still whines when I turn at parking lot speeds (more so at cold start ups). I'm having no drivability or steering issues at the time, just the whining noise. What else could it be? the only other left I can think of is the rack. Is there something else I should check? BTW. I replaced the pump with a NAPA reman and the reservior was OEM.

Last edited by eleventure; 09-22-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:38 PM
2000 Acura TL

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts
You have air in the system when doing the flush, look at the reservoir see if lots of bubbles are in it after you drive around a bit.

Many time what cause the bubbles is when you flush out the fluid from the reservoir it has bubbles trap under the screen. You can use the turkey bake suction tube thingee to suck out the fluid in the reservoir all the way down to the screen then pour new fluid in (with car off). Works for me..
Old 09-23-2011, 04:38 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 556 Likes on 446 Posts
Find the source that is letting air inside. If it's not the pump, I would check all the tubing and O-rings.

Worst case scenario, rack is the problem.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Always Working In

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
If its just air trapped, try turning the wheels lock to lock several times. Thats the book bleed method.
Double check for leaks. Has the level gotten low in the past few weeks?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Always Working In

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Nice TL by the way.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thx 4 the tip

i had the same prob w/ the whining. use the turkey baster method and the noise stopped. give u guys another update after i drive it
Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM
5th Gear

I replaced my power steering pump 2 weeks ago with a Napa Reman pump and changed my serpentine belt. Every my car has made a high pitched whistle. I figured it was air in the lines but after 2 weeks no change and I put about a 400 miles on the car since then. I was told about a Valvoline additive that is supposed to fix the noise. I get it tomorrow but if that doesn't work im going to replace the reman pump. If all else fails after the Valvoline and 2nd new pump im going to buy a OEM pump. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experience with this? The funny thing is I work at a Goodyear repair shop but it seems all my mechanics have different opinions and it gets expensive so i'm hoping this helps save me some time and money. :-)
Thanks
Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 556 Likes on 446 Posts
FIND THE SOURCE OF AIR INTAKE!!!

Stop throwing parts/money at it. It could be as simple as loose tube. I would recommend a used OEM pump from eBay. They come with warranties, and should work without problems. Just get one from a vehicle with less than 100k on it.

Check your hoses. Leaks anywhere? Ever have PS fluid on the garage floor?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Make sure your belt isnt too tight. You can kill the new pump bearings VERY easily by just ever so slightly overtightening the belt. It almost needs to be loose to the point it almost slips in order not to kill the pumps.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,467 Posts
Originally Posted by 07BLKACURA
I replaced my power steering pump 2 weeks ago with a Napa Reman pump and changed my serpentine belt. Every my car has made a high pitched whistle. I figured it was air in the lines but after 2 weeks no change and I put about a 400 miles on the car since then. I was told about a Valvoline additive that is supposed to fix the noise. I get it tomorrow but if that doesn't work im going to replace the reman pump. If all else fails after the Valvoline and 2nd new pump im going to buy a OEM pump. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experience with this? The funny thing is I work at a Goodyear repair shop but it seems all my mechanics have different opinions and it gets expensive so i'm hoping this helps save me some time and money. :-)
Thanks
My PS is going as well, I bought all of the OEM replaceable seals and bearing for around $40 online. The rebuild process will start soon. Follow the link below from a member on here, if you decide to rebuild. It has great pictures and is straight forward. The only other option would be to search car-part.com for your area and get a cheap one from there.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...17b400&theater
Old 09-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Ive rebuilt them too. Very very easy.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by zeta
My PS is going as well, I bought all of the OEM replaceable seals and bearing for around $40 online. The rebuild process will start soon. Follow the link below from a member on here, if you decide to rebuild. It has great pictures and is straight forward. The only other option would be to search car-part.com for your area and get a cheap one from there.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...17b400&theater

Where did you find the rebuild parts online? I have found the O-rings, but not the bearing. Stealership wants $75, and i'd rather not encourage them.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by eleventure
I've been having some issues with my power steering and I'm running out of ideas. Hopefully some of you could shed some light on this situation. There's a whining noise coming from the power steering pump when I make turns at a slow speeds and it's been there for while. Recently (2-3 weeks ago), I replaced the powersteering pump and reservior, did a fluid flush using HONDA P/S fluid and that did not seem to solve the problem. The noise did quite down a bit but it still whines when I turn at parking lot speeds (more so at cold start ups). I'm having no drivability or steering issues at the time, just the whining noise. What else could it be? the only other left I can think of is the rack. Is there something else I should check? BTW. I replaced the pump with a NAPA reman and the reservior was OEM.

Did you replace the O-ring on the intake side of the pump? I hear it is more common when the car first starts up and when it's cold out.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Willnikelson
Where did you find the rebuild parts online? I have found the O-rings, but not the bearing. Stealership wants $75, and i'd rather not encourage them.
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...catdisplay.jsp
Old 01-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but I wanted to update my still existing problem.

As mentioned earlier I replaced my original whining p/s pump with an A1 Cardone pump and the pump did not fix the whining noise. After doing some research I found out that most of those Cardone pump are defective and whine straight out of the box so I returned the old one to for another one and got same problem. I finally got fed up with it and bought a used one from a junk yard that's been verified to be in good working condition.
After installing the used pump along with new o rings the whining noise is still there. The only thing I can think of is that there is air in the system but there's no foam or bubbles in the reservoir. Just the noise. I've read posts about over tightening the belt can cause whine and pump damage so I made sure not to over tighten the belt. The pump even whines when the belt is too loose.
My question is, what else can cause the pump to whine while turning at low speeds. Could it be a clogged hose or the rack and pinion? I've checked all the hoses and the rack and there are no leaks that I can see. I have brand new honda p/s steering fluid inside and I'm not having stiffness/looseness in steering. As of now I'm stumped. Any input would be helpful.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:35 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you ever solve your problem? I am seemingly having power steering problems too, but I have been reading the downloaded acura manual and it gives a bunch of troubleshooting tips on pages 17-5 and 17-6. If you need a link to the manual, let me know. I have seen it in several threads, including one I started.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Advanced

Hello all,

I'm having a similar issue. I changed the power steering pressure hose on my 99 tl and now it is very noisy. It was very quite before, when the hose was leaking.

There is no sign of air in the reservoir.

Is there a method other than full side to side motion to bleed the system?

Also how do you tension the power steering belt?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced

Hello all,

I loosened my power steering belt and the sound is greatly reduced, but hasn't gone away.

I tried the end to end movement, it didn't seem to help.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
we have problems at acura with this sometimes. its recommended to replace the suction hose with the pump overhaul/replacement. to check for this issue, squeeze the hose a little near the pump or twist the hose some and see if the sound changes. (fyi always reinstall clamps exactly how they came off...line them up with the indents they made from before.)
Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 PM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by eleventure
rack and pinion? As of now I'm stumped.
answered your own question if you've changed everything else ans it still making noise your rack it more than likey messed up
Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Intermediate

I am having the same problem. Mine was low on PS oil, I added some and it started making the noise. So, I flushed it but still keeps getting bobbles and the PS noise is still there. what the F do I do. I changed the o-ring as well. there are not leaks, the oil does circulate fast-is that normal? someone please help??? did I do something wrong when doing the flush?