Personal taste problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 04:11 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personal taste problem

Kind of new to Azine, i really like like what most of ppl did to their TLs, and im falling in love with my 2G. Had to read a bit of the forums to pick up on the lingo, but i think i got it?

My problem is that what I want to do to my car might not what I want to keep after a year and I want to make changes that will last. Right now my paint is that factory silver, and it's all stock, but I want to change all that. My biggest concern is a new paint job.

Opinions on changing my silver 03 TL to a gunmetal orange with gunmetal rims?
Right now the idea seems kind of "rice-y" to me but I like the color and the gunmetal rims (haven't settled on a set of wheels yet). I'm 21 and not getting any younger.

What do you guys suggest?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
repainting will make the price of the vehicle go to shit since that color is not what most people will want. my advice is to look through the members rides section. see what you like and what you dont. do things tastefully so if you do ever have to get rid of your car (you never know) youll be able to sell it. also anything you take off keep. dont throw away. if you want a orangy color sell your tl and get a cl in the sundance gold
Old 01-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
What your car really needs is a full paint cleaning and polishing and waxing to bring out the color and shine
Read the Off Topic link- wash and wax section, look at post by ExcelDetail- he is a pro and has amazing example of his work in pics there

Claybar in its regular playdoh type form, or in a liquid easy on easy off Turtle wax brand, will remove years of gunk from the clearcoat and reveal the car underneath- run your finger across the hood- does it feel like glass- no- then claybar is your first project!!

Reading the main thread list for Gen2 will tell you what basic services should be done to your ride, and all the oils and shock choices are discussed at length too
Find your radio and nav security codes and store them here
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=acura
and the owner books are here for free
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp
Welcome to z-nuts!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Racer

im not an acura expert so im not talking like i know everything, but do what you think is right. imo painting it an unusual color would be askn for it, but hey who cares, be different. ALOT of people just copy each other, and it becomes the same cars in different colors. dont get me wrong theres a lot of good guys on here with great ideas and i give them there credit, but they seem to bash people that stray away and do things that are different. be yourself, do things that you like not what others will like. thats what the whole car "modding" scene is about.

welcome to the site man. have fun....
Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I personally love the Sundance Gold Pearl color, or as it's more formally known, Pimp Daddy Gold. I would buy a CL-S in the color if I could afford to keep my TL too. I say do what you want, if you're willing to take the hit on depreciation with a new paint job, go for it.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:59 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Man 01tl4tl, you should be a service writer, you could really sell some car services. If someone asked you what the weather would be like on Thursday, I think you would tell them to flush their brake fluid and check thier tire pressure. lol. Lets stay on topic, shall we?

I dont think "a good polish" will make him like the color silver. So heres an answer that applies to the topic at hand. Bottom line is, its your car do whatever makes you happy. BUT, if you are only keeping it for a year, repainting it a wild color, would not be good for resale value. Do your research before taking that big of a step. Maybe try a color that is more universal, like a shade of blue that didn't come on this car. BTW, what exactly is Gunmetal Orange? Thats 2 totally diff colors.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Drifting

Something like this maybe? I really have no clue...
Old 01-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

i thought maybe he was talking bout PIMP DADDY GOLD. that color is just baller. if i would have known more about the 2g TL/CL i would have gone with the cl-s 6spd in sundance gold. back on topic. yes like everyone said its your car do what you want with it but keep in mind if you do something drastic that you might think you will change your mind on later dont do it. youll hate yourself for it later. also correctly painting a car ( tearing it completly down, mouldings and everything) is not fkn cheap. start with suspension,wheels, or audio. sit on the BIG ideas
Old 01-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by philly fresh
i thought maybe he was talking bout PIMP DADDY GOLD. that color is just baller. if i would have known more about the 2g TL/CL i would have gone with the cl-s 6spd in sundance gold.
Too bad it only came with the same shit 5-speed auto as our cars. 2001 MY only, with 900 made, apparently 450 with navi, 450 without. I need to get my hands on one bad.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:26 AM
3rd Gear

i dont know if gunmetal orange is the actual paint color name but it looks just like this

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...35595345UxVtxc

yeah, i know, its a toy. lol.

what i want to try to do is have a skyline tail light conversion, the two big circles and two small circles,

http://www.optionimports.com/jdmniskgtr341.html

something similar to the top pic but CHEAPER and probably just as effective for style.

when i get more time on my hands, i ll probably eff around on PS and see how it would look with a two tone paint job. "gunmetal orange"/gunmetal black on the hood trunk and roof maybe... with gunmetal black rims.

if all goes kapoop, i ll probably just go black on black, something like lacviet's TL would be very satisfying to own.

it seems like some of u guys thought i was gana sell the car. i plan on keeping my TL, cuz it just feels so damn good to drive in. I was wondering if ppl did major changes to their car and end up hating it after awhile.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:38 AM
-Arsenic-

You stated in your first post that you may not want to keep the TL in a year. If that is so, a Skyline tail light conversion would be a horrible idea. Not to mention the fact that I don't think it would look good at all. And gunmetal orange is not a color, they call it Gunmetal Orange because it was two-toned with those colors. You didn't say it was a two-tone.

Like we said earlier, its your car, but what you are wanting to pull off with a TL sounds more like something you would do to a Civic.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You will spend more in repainting and the conversion than the car is worth, You will loose even more with it done like that than you spent on it.

Keep the Rice away from the TL
Old 01-28-2008, 04:10 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 02type-s
but what you are wanting to pull off with a TL sounds more like something you would do to a Civic.

Two tone gunmetal orange, Skyline tail light conversion
Old 01-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

if you are really set on repainting it and really have a hard on for gunmetal then sell your car, take the money you would be spending on new paint and just buy an antracite metallic 03 TL. then you will have your desired look without hurting the resale value. then buy your gunmetal rims or just find some that you like and have them sprayed in the oem color. on a side note you should post pics of your ride.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 PM
-Arsenic-

Did we scare him away??
Old 01-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Its good to be FRESH!!

hes probably just lurking. he didnt like that post that were made so now he hates us because we dont think his ideas are so "FLY"
Old 01-30-2008, 01:02 AM
3rd Gear

lol. yeah im very sad. i ll probably try to post a pic of my car tmr. with the dent and everything

oh, anyone happen to know if switching out the midmuffler/resonator for the smaller pipe would make me fail a smog check? living in california if that matters. someone told me it would and said its also known as a "cadillac converter"?
Old 01-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

Originally Posted by kingtink
and said its also known as a "cadillac converter"?
wtf, you need to slap the shit out of the person that told you that that was called that. is CATALYTIC CONVERTER. bwahahahahahaha
Old 01-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=stage+exhaust
Old 01-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Its good to be FRESH!!

and i know your new but you really should read the rules about searching before posting. there are existing threads about this subject. this is just one of them

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=exhaust
Old 01-30-2008, 03:05 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by philly fresh
wtf, you need to slap the shit out of the person that told you that that was called that. is CATALYTIC CONVERTER. bwahahahahahaha
Midmuffler/resonator are different than the catalytic converter.