Patches of Fading Paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Patches of Fading Paint

'99 Dark Emerald Pearl

All the horizontal panels (trunk, roof and hood) have spots of faded paint where you can't see any of the 'pearl'. The area on the hood is is about 6 inches wide and runs down the center from the cowl almost to the grill.

I've tried hand waxing - The surface feels smooth but still dull.
I've tried hand polishing compound - No difference.

Is this something power polishing, clay bar, etc., can fix or is the paint just showing its age?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Post pics. Its possible the clear is damaged and there isnt much you can do about that. You may get away with a wetsand and polish, you may need it to be re-sprayed.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Post pics. Its possible the clear is damaged and there isnt much you can do about that. You may get away with a wetsand and polish, you may need it to be re-sprayed.
I took it to a body shop I've used before for insurance work. The clear is separating from the base coat. To strip and repaint the hood, roof and trunk will cost $2,000. In their opinion, based on the stripe of dull paint on the hood, this car has been repainted before and not done well.

I bought it as an Acura Certified Used car 5 years ago. According to CarFax I was the second owner and since I've never repainted it, that leaves the dealer or the first owner. I'm not expecting anything from the dealer, but I've sent the estimate to the Service Manager who I have a pretty good relationship with. He was a Service Writer when I began dealing with him and he's always been very helpful. Now he's the Service Manager. Plus they have done almost all my service work plus installed most of my mods. We'll see. I won't be shelling out $2,000 to pay for it on my own, that's for sure.