odyssey transmission swap p0730, p1739

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 02:48 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I posted on the CL side and was told Id get more responses over on the TL side. Well here is the story. I recently did the Honda odyssey transmission swap on my 01acura cl type s. Everything was working fine and i was enjoying the new life into my car. Until yesterday! The car now will not reverse unless i give it some gas. The usual CEL and TCS light came on. I went to pepboys to get the codes pulled and got p1739 pressure switch #3 as well p0730 incorrect gear ratio. I've done a few searches but came up with a few different answers. My biggest question is can i correct this inexpensively or am i looking at another tranny swap? Yes i did switch over the switches from my cl trans. I also found out that they put in AutoZone transmission fluid. Could that have something to do with it? I just really hope i can save the trans and not have any further headaches. ALLLLLL HELP is appreciated at this point. I was a victim to the CL autotragic rebuilds 4 times and decided enough was enough. I love the body of the CL but I'm starting to get discouraged.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:48 AM
Advanced

I posted on the CL side and was told Id get more responses over on the TL side. Well here is the story. I recently did the Honda odyssey transmission swap on my 01acura cl type s. Everything was working fine and i was enjoying the new life into my car. Until yesterday! The car now will not reverse unless i give it some gas. The usual CEL and TCS light came on. I went to pepboys to get the codes pulled and got p1739 pressure switch #3 as well p0730 incorrect gear ratio. I've done a few searches but came up with a few different answers. My biggest question is can i correct this inexpensively or am i looking at another tranny swap? Yes i did switch over the switches from my cl trans. I also found out that they put in AutoZone transmission fluid. Could that have something to do with it? I just really hope i can save the trans and not have any further headaches. ALLLLLL HELP is appreciated at this point. I was a victim to the CL autotragic rebuilds 4 times and decided enough was enough. I love the body of the CL but I'm starting to get discouraged.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
What all have ya tried so far ? How's the fluid level and overall condition ?
Ya probably already know that "AZ" ATF isn't the smart choice for best results.
Was the torque converter also replaced at the time of installing the Oddy tranny ?

Concerning the code P1739, check the wiring and connector to the 3rd clutch pressure switch. Maybe even try cleaning or replacing it.

The code P1730 indicates a possible problem within the shift control system. Have the clutch's hydraulic pressure checked. Try cleaning or replacing the shift control solenoids: "B" and also the "A" and "C" set. Also it's possible that the A/T clutch pressure control solenoid "A/B" valve set may be malfunctioning.

If these valves are gunked up or sticking, they can cause problems.
Also check the shifter mechanisms. Inspect the shift fork linkage and the cable for looseness.
The following users liked this post:
01tl4tl (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Unhappy tranny headaches......

Originally Posted by CLStaggerd
My biggest question is can i correct this inexpensively or am i looking at another tranny swap? Yes i did switch over the switches from my cl trans. I also found out that they put in AutoZone transmission fluid. Could that have something to do with it? I just really hope i can save the trans and not have any further headaches.

I was a victim to the CL autotragic rebuilds 4 times and decided enough was enough. I'm starting to get discouraged.

What was the reason for all the previous tranny failures ?...... other than the fact that rebuilding the original problematic POS tranny's doesn't always fix themfor long. How long did each one last before shitting ?

With the Oddy bolt-in donor, did everything go well after installation ?
Has the shop rechecked their installation work for something loose or anything causing the present problems ?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Advanced

So would you suggest doing a drain and refill with fluid from the dealer? Also where are solenoid A and B? But i will unplug the connector and clean around there and plug it back up. Because it was so sudden that all of this happened i literally went into the grocery store and came out to leave then bam! Weak reverse output and weird shifting into 3rd gear. How do i adjust the shift linkage? I know how to get to it on the inside of the car, but the gear shift does make a slow repetitive clicking sound when in D5 that was not there before, could something be wrong there adding to it? Sorry all the questions.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Advanced

The reason for the rebuilds were with all my performance parts it could not handle the added stress. I have all the bolt ons. One lasted 20k next one lasted 10k the one after that only lasted a week with around 300 miles i forget how many was on the last one. But as for the work done i don't have any type of warranty since its not a "usable part" for the Acura CL as well as he can't warranty a used transmission not brought in by himself. he didn't have a problem doing it with my write up or anything. The car was working fine for two weeks then bam, nothing but a headache all over again..
Old 09-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
who put azone atf in a Honda trans? that's a very likely start of your problems!!
also the shift solenoids aka pressure switches should be cleaned (they unscrew) or replaced with the trans swap

I would get that fluid out and all Honda dw-1 in it via the book method 3x3- that's for exactly when this happens- wrong fluid is introduced in any amount = 3x3 to get it out!

was the oddy trans sitting a while at a junkyard/auto recycler? indoors or out?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Advanced

The guy that installed it. I drained the fluid today and it was a muddy purple color and smells kinda burnt. I put in 3.3 quarts of honda dw1 that i got from the dealer today. I still can't catch gear when i put it in reverse unless i give it some gas. I bought a new switch today as well. I swapped my old one over from my CL trans. But what is mind boggling to me is that everything seemed to work perfectly fine and in a matter of 2weeks it has gone to sh*t. Does out sound like it's too late?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Team Owner

get the rest of that incorrect fluid out of the system by following book method of 3x3
as I mentioned before- the 3x3 was put in the owner book in case any of wrong fluid was added to the acura trans- go to get it all out asap!!! before it does bad things~
The following users liked this post:
3.2TLc (09-13-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Advanced

Will i get reverse gear back, by doing the 3x3 flush? I did one drain and fill so far, Will do the other 2 tomorrow
Old 09-13-2014, 07:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Reverse not engaging.....

I put in 3.3 quarts of honda dw1 that i got from the dealer today. I still can't catch gear when i put it in reverse unless i give it some gas. I bought a new switch today as well. I swapped my old one over from my CL trans. But what is mind boggling to me is that everything seemed to work perfectly fine and in a matter of 2weeks it has gone to sh*t.

Hey CLStaggerd, finish the complete D&F as 01tl4tl previously suggested.
That would be a good starting point to get the generic ATF out of the tranny.

~What switch's were swapped or replaced on the Oddy donor ? (3rd & 4th ?)
~Was the range selector/neutral safety switch adjusted properly and shift linkage checked ?
~Were the solenoids and switches cleaned or checked at the time of the Oddy donor installation ?
~Was the top spin-on inline ATF filter replaced ?
~Did ya try clearing the codes to see if they come back the same as before ?

~ Try checking all of the wiring connections and then test the shift control solenoids and the top A/T clutch pressure control solenoid "A-B" valve set. Good luck !!!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
What year odyssey, and how many miles on it? The earlier ones were as prone to fail as ours, if not more. Personally, it sounds to me like your trans is shot. Unlike everyone else, I'd recommend trying a racing trans fluid, or type f, because once the trans is slipping, I've never seen anything else work.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Advanced

I'm doing the rest of the drain and fill this weekend i haven't been driving the car don't really want to make things worse. What do you guys think about Lucas transmission stabilizer? I'm pretty much stuck in a dilemma. I'm just about over the money pit of a car that the CL is. I love the power that this car produces and the body styling. Ever since i played grand turismo 2 on PlayStation I've always said i was going to get one lol.

But to answer a few other questions the transmission is a 2006 odyssey with 90k miles. Yes i switched over pressure switches 3 and 4 along with the range switch. What puzzles me is that everything worked perfectly fine for 2 weeks then just decided to mess up.

In all honesty I'm over the headache I'm thinking about just trading it in for something else or putting it on craigslist. I know i would get more from it on craigslist. How much do you think i can get for an 01 type S. The odometer says 185k but the actual engine only has 91k i have all the receipts to prove it. I'm selling it as is. All my mods, wheels and stereo. I have all factory parts to go along with it.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Team Owner

not lucas, its too thick
but another thread has a guy tried some seal rejuvenator in `failing` trans and so far has improved shifting!! ck main section threads
Old 09-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Some folks have used the "Lubeguard" additive product in their trannys.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
Could of missed a ground while transferring the harness, theres 3 I believe.
Even if the bolt is on, check if its clean and bolted down to ensure good contact.

Or maybe the fluid was never changed and the 3x3 made everything go south plus wrong fluid.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:58 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Will i get reverse gear back, by doing the 3x3 flush?

Nope

Looks like u bought a transmission that's already on it's way out.